Nature Scrappers: Join the City Nature Challenge

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Juliestcyr, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

We like taking photos! We like documenting stuff!

And... it's an event that is actually not cancelled!!!

I got an email from the Canadian Wildlife Federation to participate in, the international City Nature Challenge. Cities from multiple countries will be connecting in a friendly challenge to see which group can make the most observations of nature, find the most species, and engage the most people during the event.

There are a tonne of cities participating, and not just in Canada - everywhere. Photography takes place April 24-27, and then identification of plants and animals takes places April 28 - May 3.

Canadian Wildlife Federation
    City Nature Challenge International Site

KarenB, mary kate and djp332 like this.
  2. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

That sounds interesting.

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That's very cool!! Thanks for sharing!!

4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Looking forward to seeing your photos. Sounds like a cool idea.

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I had a look at the international site, I'm too far south of the orange shaded Sydney area to be included in their counts but I liked the idea. Cape Town as the previous 'winner' had impressive stats! Are your guide group doing this or just your family because of covid? (I assume your group can't meet in person at the moment) Good luck anyways & I'm sure it will make for interesting scrapbook pages!

6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

What a great idea! Off to check it out!

7. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Amarillo Tx is a participant city and it’s not too far from where I live - I’m looking into the rules. Thanks for mentioning this!

8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I signed up but didn't see any SC city listed. Woulda thought Myrtle Beach could have been? But I did like the Naturalist.org site. Maybe in the future I can share this experience with Maddox, our science loving GS. :pray:p

9. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Ok - so we made a trip to pick up a trailer for my husband’s work and while we were waiting for paper signing and hookup, I opened my INaturalist app and started taking pictures of the wildflowers by the road. I snapped two flowers, one moth, one leaf cutter ant, and a rye grass stem. The pictures turn out great through the app and it gives you suggestions on what the species might be. So easy and fun - give it a try even if you can’t do the challenge this weekend
    I’ll scrap my photos this weekend.

10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Well Cape Town is still on strict lockdown, we aren't even allowed out to walk the dogs.
    You may walk to the nearest grocery store for necessary items and the rest of the time it's stay home.

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So i may not have been included geographically but i have been thinking about this and randomly noticed this species that i'm calling the 'creepy eye tree' - not a particularly botanical name but if anyone recognises it, i'd be happy to know (or do you think someone kind of carved eyes into it? they were all over the trunk and like one with the tree, not recently done if it all )
    eyetree.jpg

12. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

This is a fabulous idea. Thank you :beat
    (For those who can't get out at all, you may be interested in this Lock down photography Competition https://www.iwpawards2020.com/ )