National Potato Day | Pad Patter 8.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 19, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It's National Potato Day today (Seriously, who makes these things up?!?!)

Personally, I enjoy potatoes. So, I started wondering:

1) Do you like potatoes?
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato?
    3) What's your favorite potato dish?
    4) What's your favorite potato?
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to?

I'm thinking of making potato pierogi's for dinner tomorrow in honor of potato day.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

1) Do you like potatoes?
    Yes, I do!
    Probably as tater tots.
    Cheesy Au gratin Potatoes
    I love a good russet, but purple potatoes are so pretty!
    I add them to cinnamon rolls. It's more common now to see potato bread, but I've been doing it since I was young and my mom taught me!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

1) Do you like potatoes? Absolutely!
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? Baked, Mashed, Tater Tots, French Fries, Twice Baked, Potato Skins
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Au Gratin or Scalloped
    4) What's your favorite potato? Russet
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Can't think of anything. As a kid I used to eat raw potatoes when Mom would be cutting them up for cooking. Well.... I still do if I'm using raw potatoes in a dish.

During my dental issues my diet consisted of a lot of baked and mashed potatoes because I didn't have to chew. But I will say that even though I love them, I have not had any since May 18th. I need variety! I'm now eating more tater tots, French fries and potato skins since they are easily fixed in the air fryer. I really need to get the potato skins from my favorite pizza place one of these days.

I love the Hungry Jack potato pancake mix and unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere for the last 6 months. A potato pancake from a German festival is fabulous especially with applesauce on top.

4. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

1) Do you like potatoes? YES! Best thing there is!

2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? Any way but raw.

3) What's your favorite potato dish? Hasselbacks potatoes

4) What's your favorite potato? King Edward

5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Not that I can think of. But I guess when I just peel & boil potato (cut in cubes) and eat them with butter and garlic powder ... some people might think I'm weird. LOL

I absolutely LOVE potatoes. Most common way to eat potatoes in Sweden is to boil them. I always boil extra and keep a "stash" in the fridge - that way I have easy lunches - just peel, dice and fry them up - then I eat with a fried egg & ketchup. Or add to an omelette with some veggies. Or just eat with butter & garlic powder.

I could talk about potatoes all day long ... LOL

5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Every day is "Potato Day" for me. Haha Not really, but I could definitely eat them every day!

1) Do you like potatoes? LOVE THEM!
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? Baked
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Baked, with butter, shredded cheese, sour cream and cottage cheese on top.
    4) What's your favorite potato? Idaho
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Anything

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

1) Do you like potatoes? Um, YES!
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? My favorite is a tie between my mashed potatoes and a baked potato with butter and sour cream.
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Au gratin potatoes
    4) What's your favorite potato? Yukon Gold
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? I've added instant potatoes to my dumplings when I needed to thicken the broth. I add mayo into my mashed potatoes (family secret - now you all know! LOL)

michelepixels likes this.
  7. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

1) Do you like potatoes? Absolutely

2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? Mashed with evaporated milk and lots of butter, or baked steakhouse-style (brushed with veggie oil, sprinkled all over with coarse kosher salt, then baked)

3) What's your favorite potato dish? I make a ham, potato and green bean casserole using Betty Crocker Au Gratin potato mix.

4) What's your favorite potato? Yukon Gold

5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Nope

8. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

1) Do you like potatoes? Sure
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? Waffle fries
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Cheesy potatoes topped with crunchy onions
    4) What's your favorite potato? Russet
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Ramen noodles and mashed potatoes (don’t bash it ‘til you try it!)

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

1) Do you like potatoes?
    Especially now b/c I had given them up for many yrs when I was keto.

I love McDonald fries but hardlver have them. I eat a plant based diet, so potatoes are a big part of my meal plan. These days I dice them up, toss in a bit of oil, add some spices (garlic, onion, tex-mex, tumeric) and nutritional yeast, then air fry them.

I love scalloped potatoes, it was my mom's fave too.

I love multi-colored fingerling potatoes.

I'd say nutritional yeast and tumeric b/c I don't have any family/friends that do that.

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

1) Do you like potatoes? I'm just a little more positive than neutral about them.

2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? in the form of Kettle Brand chips :D but I limit myself to about one bag per month

3) What's your favorite potato dish? cut them up in small pieces, toss with oil and seasonings, and bake or air fry and mix with sautéed veggies like onion, bell pepper, spinach, etc

4) What's your favorite potato? I don't have a preference but usually just buy the cheap bagged white potatoes; or sometimes the russet.

5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? I've tossed them (leftovers) with my scrambled eggs and other veggies and rolled them up in a burrito. Scrambled egg & veggie burrito is my breakfast 99% of the time.

I look forward to learning about more potato preparation ideas in this thread. My kids always want mashed potatoes and I'm so bored of them!

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

:D I can air fry nutritional yeast sprinkled veggies?! I love that stuff, often adding it to my scrambled egg and veggie burrito every morning. I'm not 100% plant based but I'm lactose intolerant and my middle child is dairy allergic so that's why we have nutritional yeast. We love to sprinkle it on popcorn.

12. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

1) Do you like potatoes? LOVE them. I may have a problem.
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? French fries, baked, mashed....all the ways!
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Lemon potatoes!
    4) What's your favorite potato? Russets!
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Not that I can think of....but I love roasted garlic. Not unusual just love.

13. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

1) Do you like potatoes? Yesssss LOVE potatoes
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? French fries
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Potato salad or homemade mashed potatoes
    4) What's your favorite potato? Any...and all... :D
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? On a baked potato I add sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits. Idk why but I feel like other people don't do the bacon bits!

14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've been known to just boil some potatoes then smash them down on the plate, cover them with microwavable cheese and bacon bits. So I understand the bacon bits totally ;)

bestcee and LivyBug like this.
  15. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

1) Do you like potatoes? I haven't met a potato I haven''t liked yet
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? mashed probably... or fried
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? does tator tot hot dish count? if not I really love pieorgios
    4) What's your favorite potato? mmmm baby reds or the yellow ones
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? I make potato pancakes out of them.. or I put them in omletes.. ..

bestcee likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

1) Do you like potatoes? I LOVE potatoes! I would find it really really difficult to ever have to give them up.
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? That's way too hard, I adore potatoes in any form (except I'm not a huge fan of au gratin or scalloped).
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Hmmm probably fried with onions and bacon, or roasted, or hash browns :)
    4) What's your favorite potato? I'm not picky at all when it comes to potatoes
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? I can't really think of anything...

17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

1) Do you like potatoes? Yep, love them
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? Baked, mashed, fries, hash browns, fried, potato salad
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Umm all of them!
    4) What's your favorite potato? Depends on what I’m eating
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? No, not really mainly thanks to food intolerances

18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I can relate to that fully….I probably do eat something “potato” most days!

19. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

Come to think of another answer to no 5:
    I love eating potato chips - onion flavored - together with chocolate ice cream. Letting the ice melt a bit and scoop it up with chips. Divine!

bestcee likes this.
  20. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

1) Do you like potatoes? LOVE
    2) What's your favorite way to eat a potato? How to choose a favourite child?
    3) What's your favorite potato dish? Lapskaus*
    *is a culinary speciality from northern Germany, think Hamburg. The main ingredients are salted meat or corned beef, potatoes, and onion. Some pickled gherkin, or chopped raw onions and fried eggs on top.
    [​IMG]
    4) What's your favorite potato? We don't really buy them in varieties as I have seen overseas. I just choose between potato and sweet potato.
    5) Is there anything unusual you add potatoes to? Not really.