National Lucky Penny Day (Superstitions) | May 24

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, May 23, 2022.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Today is National Lucky Penny Day! It is celebrated by those who believe that pennies are lucky charms. Pennies are believed to be harbingers of good things and celebrated as a lucky item in many cultures.

There is even a little rhyme that goes somrthing like this: See a penny, pick it up; all day long you’ll have good luck.

Some people think finding a penny heads up meant you'd have luck on your side, but tails up would mean bad luck. One of my sister's old college roommates would actually not let you pick up a penny if it was tails. I had never heard of the bad luck part of the superstition until then.

Do you pick up pennies? Are you superstitious about it? Do you have other superstitions? If so what are they?

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes, if I see a penny, I'll pick it up and recite the little rhyme you posted above. LOL I don't associate good or bad luck with heads or tails though. Any penny will do for me.

3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Love that rhyme. I have found a few lucky pennies.

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Never heard of that rhyme, that is cute!

5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I remember hearing that rhyme before but I've never said it.

My youngest daughter (8) was just asking me today what superstitions were. She had read the word in a book she was reading. So I tried to explain some that I knew...black cat, broken glass, etc. She asked me if they were real and I told her that some people do believe them but they are really just little sayings that don't really mean anything.

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I am one that will pick up a heads showing penny, and leave a tails showing penny. I'm not sure where I picked that up... :giggle I still follow that rule today. I don't know if I shared it with my kids, now I have to ask them what they would do. lol!

I also was told/learned at the boardwalk never to pick up dollar bills in front of the bar as a kid. My mother told me that patrons would tie/stick a fishing line to the dollar and when kids went to grab it, they would pull it away and have a laugh. So... when I was younger, if I found money anywhere, I would pretend I didn't see it and suddenly step on it, lol!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's so funny about the fishing line to a dollar bill. :giggle

I too remember hearing about the heads up being good luck and tails down not being good luck, no idea where I heard that, but I used to always pick up a penny if I found one and recite that little rhyme. I wonder if my kids know that? I'm sure I used to tell them that.