Name Something Your Mother or Grandmother... | Pad Patter 10.14.16

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Crystal A

Crystal A maestro in the making

Homemade rolls! It's a recipe that's been passed down for generations and now it's my turn to make them for family dinners especially thanksgiving.

aballen likes this.
  2. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Great idea to keep it special. How long does it take to make her lasagna? My neighbor made the best lasagna one time for a ward party and my hubby raved and raved about it and wanted me to make it for him. I never did, because it took all day just to make the sauce. I don't have that kind of time for cooking. I'd rather be scrappin! lol I do make things that take longer for special occasions, but everyday meals have to be quick and simple.

Homemade rolls are my favorite for Thanksgiving. That's so cool you have a recipe that has been passed down for generations. Sounds like a good theme for a layout.

3. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

My grandmas were both good cooks. One of my grandmas was Pennsylvania Dutch and would make us funnel cakes for breakfast. She called them Striebles ("streeblees"), which I think is the Southern German name for them. They would be served with that clear Caro syrup instead of regular syrup, which sounds weird but was delish. In retrospect, I see what a huge fat/sugar bomb this was but we LOVED them so much when we were kids.

My other Grandma was also from German roots and could could up some fabulous spaetzle but she married a second generation Italian and learned to cook amazing Italian food too. Her Braciole was to die for. She was also a big fan of the seafood boil and we would get together from time to time to steam/boil up a huge pot of lobsters, clams, shrimp, mussels, corn etc. etc. Not exactly a secret recipe, but such a fun family feast to tie on a napkin and dig in up to your elbows. :D

My mom made a mean chicken parmesan until she discovered that she was gluten intolerant (and chicken intolerant for that matter). I still try to recreate that but haven't quite recaptured the magic.

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@dawnmarch All those things sound so tasty! I'd love to try a seafood boil one day... I love shrimp and lobster.