Mylio?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Mar 7, 2023.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Has anyone used Mylio Photo before? My mom heard about it, and thought I'd love it. So, I've been looking at it but I had never heard of it before. At least not that I recall.

I downloaded the trial, but wondered if anyone had used it and had a review? Positive or Negative welcome.

2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Never heard of it. Sorry I'm no help!

bestcee likes this.
  3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Sorry, me neither.

bestcee likes this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

never heard of it either

bestcee likes this.
  5. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I don't know it ... and never heard of it ...

bestcee likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've heard of it but never looked into using it. It was an extra I could get when I got one of my EHD's.

bestcee likes this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Never heard of it, but I did read the FAQ on the website. Advantages - manages several devices into one vault of photos. Has non-destructive editing tools. Synchs photos across devices. Allows sharing with others.

If you already have Lightroom Classic, only advantage I see so far, would be the sharing of photos across devices, among friends, etc. LR has better editing tools. LRC can share, but the user has to do the heavy lifting.

Forever (owners of Artisan) have been selling similar storage plans for years. However, you pay for the space, an one time cost, but it is pricey. Like, to store my 50,000+ photos is in the thousands of dollars. But it too allows unlimited access and sharing. Photos are stored on the companies servers.

If someone has no organization or limited organization, this might be a good tool for them. It is computer based for the main storage vault. It brings cloud data in but deposits it on the computer. So a really good back-up would be needed for this. Your space is limited to whatever device you are storing them on.

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I don't know it. I use Smugmug. I guess it depends what you are using it for.

Smugmug is more like a storage/backup and easy access for me. I can access on any device I sign into. It has editing capabilities, but I use them on occasion. If more in depth, I use Photoshop.

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@BevG It's kinda like Google Photos and Lightroom combined - based on my limited trial experience.

Lightroom Classic won't let me tag photos or organize unless I'm sitting at my computer. The phone app doesn't have any organization abilities. It just syncs photos to home. Google photos lets me look up photos anywhere, on any device, by opening the app or website. It's also got a pretty good search with no keywording necessary.

Mylio doesn't currently offer it's own cloud, like Forever. But, I can use Backblaze B2 storage, which is a lot cheaper than Forever! So, I like that Mylio isn't storing any of my photos on their servers, but I can still set up for it to store in the cloud and on a hard drive. @HavaDrPepper - I think that's why you saw something about it with your EHD purchase? Mylio recommends using an EHD as your main storage for all your photos to live.

I'm still playing with it, but so far it's like Google Photos and Lightroom combined, but using your own storage space. I like having the organization options from Lightroom but available on my phone and offline. And I like that it has the keyword search capabilities of Google Photos. It's not quite as intuitive as I'd like it to be. If I kept it, it would replace Lightroom for me. I like that I can open the photos straight from Mylio into Photoshop, just like Lightroom.

Huh. It's been around for a bit, so odd that none of us have heard of it!

BevG likes this.