My temperature blanket (layout)

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Angie4b1g, Jan 18, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

The basic crochet stitch is surprisingly easy.

My problem is the dropped stitches!

2. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I love corner to corner crochet!

3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

That is really cool! I love the idea & the blankets are beautiful - I have some crochet needles but I was a disaster at it! One day I will learn!

4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I was without wifi for several hours yesterday while they upgraded our system, so I started. I went with colors I had on hand (at least for the lower temps, I may tweak the warmer ones once I get to the store to look at options). I'm caught up through the 16th - that's when I ran out of my 30 degree yarn (and we have had lots of days in the 30s). I tried a new stitch which will probably result in a massively long blanket... so I may not make it the whole year... we'll see. Here's my start so far...

IMG_2250tlp.jpg

Ferdy, GlazeFamily3, kayjaydo and 3 others like this.
  5. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

Beautiful!!

I can crochet but have yet to make a blanket that is even on the ends. One is so wonky it is now the dog's blanket.
    Knitting I can do the garter stitch but am still working on a blanket I started last March when I decided to teach myself how to do it.

Love these blankets but curious how you would group so it isn't so big. Also how wide are you making them? I would have to decide if I wanted to just do the temperature or also include windchill/humidity as that may change my colours. Last summer we had days where it felt like it was 115F with the humidity......I hid in the house, lol.

6. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

That is stunning, but yes, it's going to be a 10 foot long one, lol.

7. Angie4b1g

I'm only doing 20 clusters of stitches per day, and not a whole row. I think my blanket will end up around 58"x80" ish.

8. tkradtke

I'm bad at edges too... I'm getting better though. The one I'm working on now will need an edge to hide my wonky edges!

Have you ever made granny squares? I had this idea come up in my facebook feed this morning...

https://www.fiberfluxblog.com/2019/....html?utm_source=redheart&utm_medium=facebook

You use different colors within the same square for the high and the low... but you could do high temperature and the "real feel" for each day.

Thanks! I'm resigning myself to this reality and I'm just going to roll with it... lol!

bestcee likes this.
  9. Angie4b1g

January done! I do see a spot where I missed a stitch, but I'm rolling with it. The mistakes are what make it homemade, right? lol

[​IMG]

bellbird and kayjaydo like this.
  10. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I always thought those were neat. Yours looks great so far.

11. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Same!! I've done a tiny bit of crocheting, as in I know how to do a few stitches, but I can't even get a dishcloth to come out with even edges so...

12. tkradtke

It looks great @Angie4b1g! I'm going to have to work up the nerve to try corner to corner sometime.

Here's mine through the end of January...

IMG_2359.JPG

I got to use my below zero yarn on Wednesday! I had one picked out for the negative teens since our high was supposed to be -13 that day... ended up getting up to -9 though. I measured and if I keep going all year, this blanket will be 10 feet long... yikes! I may do 2 six months ones, or I might just go for it. I've got until the end of June to figure that out... lol!

jaye likes this.
  13. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

What stitch are you using? I love it!

14. tkradtke

Thanks! I love it too... this is my first time doing it and the blanket is coming out soooo soft! It's strange, but I'm using the exact same yarn on another blanket at the same time and it doesn't feel nearly as soft.

Here's the tutorial I followed:
    http://meetmeatmikes.com/weekend-project-how-to-crochet-a-snuggle-stitch-blanket/

It uses UK terminology, so you have to adjust for that. A UK treble is a US double.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  15. Angie4b1g

I am so glad you decided to tackle this, your blanket is GORGEOUS so far!!!

16. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

@Angie4b1g @tkradtke your blankets are looking amazing!!

I may have to put it on hold for next year as I have two to finish as is and with the new puppy I am not accomplishing much, lol.

17. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

I loved your page with your temperature blanket!! I think I commented that I noticed it was a temperature blanket before anything else on the whole page.
    Your completed blanket is absolutely gorgeous!! And I am loving your C2C! I think the idea of doing just 20 of the clusters per day is a good one. I've never done a C2C but my mum has made some absolutely epic ones (Pokemon, giraffe baby blanket, fox baby blanket and big teddy baby blanket), so I always said I'd leave that to her, lol!! I love your colours too, they are so creamy, they look like ice-cream!
    @tkradtke Oh your's is looking so good!! I love it!

I am doing something a bit different. I have never made a blanket myself, and I don't plan to for a while yet, because between my mum, my Aunt and my Nan (and what I already had), I have around 12 handmade crochet/knitted blankets, and I don't really have room for any (many) more.
    So I am going to make temperature "things". This year I am making Temperature Bunting! Each month will have it's own flag and letter on it, and I will be able to have it on display all the time instead of packed away.
    Here it is so far:

[​IMG]

Not looking forward to doing all those ends, but it wasn't sitting right when I crocheted over them or tried to bring them up. Also it won't matter too much because I am going to put a border around.

My other ideas are these:

[​IMG]
    Temperature Snakes will be the easiest, especially in a single crochet stitch and with amigurumi cotton or something thinner than our ordinary or worsted yarn, it shouldn't be too long. The Hedgehog and Lion are going to have the plain coloured bodies and their prickles/spikes will have all the colours for the temperatures. The cat was the one that started it all, I saw it years ago when temperature blankets started being a thing. The lady took the pattern for that cat and worked out how to convert it to 365 rows, it is around 41 inches from top to toe.. it is incredible, and I want to make one for my mum.

I am really excited to be finally making something!! I have been attempting this for years, but always give up a couple of weeks in. I guess it doesn't help that we have the start of our year in the heat, and crocheting isn't always the most fun thing to do on those hot days.

18. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Yes, yes, yes!!! We absolutely can and it is just as incredible!!
    You just have to adjust it to your local temperatures! First thing to do is find out your town's highest max temp and lowest max temp. I used the Bureau of Meteorology Climate Data. My Tassie town highest Max temp was 33.2°c and my lowest Max temp was 6.5°c, so there would be not a lot of need for me to go up to 40°c like my Mum or someone on the mainland. I bumped it up to 35°c+ and my lowest was 5° or lower, but I could have had my highest as 30°c.
    Then the yarn.. I am using the 4Seasons Stallion range, in all but two of the colours (Dark Grey and Brown), so
    I did black for highest, white for lowest and divided the other colours evenly between which beautifully worked out to be two degrees per colour.
    My Aunty is doing one colour per degree this year from a low of 10 to a high of 45+, it is crazy, but beautiful!

This is what my plan/record looks like:
    [​IMG]
    Mine will likely have a lot of the colours between Aqua and Purple based on the averages of my town, but I love the bursts of the outlying colours that pop up now and then.

bellbird and BevG like this.
  19. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

7BA542C6-9D57-42DE-B4E2-F94853F47277.jpeg
    Even though it is almost the end of February, I decided to get started on a temperature blanket for this year! I fully intended to do a rainbow blanket, but I stumbled across these yarns which are a collaboration between Caron Yarnspirations and Pantone and fell in love. The darkest green color is anything below 30 degrees and the rest are 10 degree increments, ending with the dark peach at 90 and above. Our coldest day so far is 41 degrees (even though it is winter) so this should work well for where I live.

I am doing the granny square CAL temperature blanket that was shared earlier in the thread. I will be using a soft gray to JAYGO. In the CAL they are doing high and low temps, but I might just do high... I haven’t decided yet.

Karen likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!