My poor tomatoes :(

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by kelley, May 19, 2012.

1. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Yesterday dh and I transplanted 8 tomato plants to our garden. We didn't have a fence or anything besides just our fence around our yard, but it is not complete, so things can get in. Anyway, DH woke up this morning and 2 of them were eaten completely. He told me about it, then 20 min later I went to look and now there are 3 missing! I don't know what ate them, but I am soooo mad! This is our first garden and of course i knew it was possible, but I thought they'd be okay overnight. Ug. So I went to fleet farm and got poultry mesh and stakes so that we could put up a fence today. And I sprayed tabasco water all over them too. HOpefully that will help. Anyway, that was my day so far!!

2. Micheline Martin

Micheline Martin New Member

:( That sucks :( I'm so sorry about your tomatoes Kelley!

3. milo82

milo82 milo82

oh no that sucks... we had that last year too, birds came pecking and we've had a huge snail attack!

We bought our house sept 2010, so this is the 2nd time trying to grow our own veggies. We managed to grow leek, which worked...but the brocolli, carrots and tomatoes failed last year. We're trying again this year and made some netting around the veggie part of the garden. eevern trying strawberries now too! :D

4. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

aww that sucks,i wish we could do something with our garden between the kids trampoline and a dog its a mess

5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Well that's a bummer. You probably made some critter's night with a tasty little feast though. :p Hope they leave them alone now!

6. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Oh no! I hope the netting and Tobasco water works. Do you have deer in your neighbourhood? Or rabbits?

After having the most amazing garden in Oakville (but then again, that's the climate for it!), and then moving to a zone 3! climate, I've tried for 5 years to get things to grow in our backyard. Besides weeds, I haven't had much luck. So this year, we're pulling up the garden area (including all the landscaping rock + fabric surrounding it), re-grading, and putting down grass seed. I concede!

7. kelley

Heather - we do have rabbits. That might have been it, but there have also been a lot of robins back there. I talked to the neighbor today, and she said she's had deer in her yard before too, which is weird - I've never seen one. But, we just moved here a couple months ago. I really hope we can get this stuff to grow!! We put up the chicken wire fence this afternoon though, so hopefully no more destruction.

8. kelley

We found out this morning that it was robins doing it! Chris saw one chomp a branch off one of the plants. So, my fence did no good for this problem, lol, though it'll definitely keep the rabbits out. The tabasco apparently didn't deter them either. So, I'm off to get bird netting today to cover each plant cage with.

9. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

that's a bummer. I hope the netting works!!

10. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Crazy! Those are some hungry robins!

11. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

I hope your new fix works! We had a pepper plant last year and PEOPLE were stealing our peppers off of the PORCH!