Must have Silhouette accessories?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by Kat, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Based on my previous thread, I've decided to buy a Silhouette Cameo 3. It's just the basics so I need to get ya'll to advise me on what are the must have accessories. For now, I'll print and cut scrapbooking stuff for hybrid and I would like to make some specialized stickers/decals for my photography packing materials.

I will also want to eventually cut vinyl for stickers/shirts/pillows and my mom wanted to cut fabric. I don't want to over buy accessories I won't use. I've also been on etsy (bad idea, lol) and was searching for something unrelated and found a bunch of hocus pocus themed graphics for use in the silhouette/cricut. I had to get out of there, it was like being at Target. ha ha. I didn't buy anything though because I want to be sure of what I need. :)

Ya'll have been an awesome help! Thank you!

2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I have done a few vinyls here and there. For that I recommend you buy the release paper and have a good pair of needle nose tweezers. My daughter loves her Snoopy vinyl inside her locker. 3B1FB851-06B0-4C47-958C-48A5F3E93897.jpeg

QuiltyMom and Sokee like this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I've never bought the release paper, how do you use it @Dalis ?

I recommend a spatula. I have a Cricket one that I use, because it was on sale. Lol. Also, the low tack mat. I always use the low tack mat with stickers and vinyl.

I have the sketch pens, which work great for cards. They came with my machine. I prefer the pen holder that lets you use any marker because I have a ton of markers that aren't the silhouette fat size. I also have the pick me up tool. Meh. Like Dalis said, tweezers (I use a pair from the dollar store), and a hook tool.
    But that might be because I don't cut a ton of intricate things, and I'm just used to the spatula.

Dalis likes this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

One thing I use every time I work with vinyl- a tack- like a pin board tack- it's easy to hold & the sharp point works well to get the teeny pieces weeded out! I second the release paper & also an old credit card or gift card to run along the paper. Sounds like you need some sticker paper too! Those are super fun to make!

Dalis and Sokee like this.
  5. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

That Snoopy is Awesome! Perfect with the hockey stick! Does she still play?

6. Dalis

1. you cut everything from your vinyl,
    2. weed everything you don't need (the negative space)
    3. cut a release paper the size of the vinyl element you cut out,
    4. remove the backing from the release paper, (if the vinyl is big just remove a little at a time)
    5. then apply it on top of the vinyl. The idea of the release paper is that the vinyl's non-sticky side will stick to the release paper and then you can place this on to the place you want the vinyl to be.)
    6. Using an old credit card just burnish the release paper pretty good (you want the vinyl to stick)
    7. When you are ready to place vinyl in it's destination, remove the backing of the vinyl and all the pieces should stick to the release paper. (if they don't flatten it all out and burnish with the credit card again... HARD)
    8. Stick the release paper (that now has your vinyl pieces) to it's final destination and burnish again (with the old credit card) .... get all your frustrations out specially small or angled pieces) LOL!!!!
    9. Pull the release paper and the vinyl should be transferred. If at some point your vinyl is staying stuck into the release, flatten it out against the surface and burnish it again.

bestcee likes this.
  7. Dalis

yes, to the old credit card!

8. Dalis

I even flipped the snoopy so he would be holding the stick with his right hand. LOL!!!! Yes, she is still playing. We had games all weekend: Friday 7:45-8:45pm (1.5 commute each way); Saturday 7-8pm; Today Sunday 2-3 (1.5 commute each way)

bestcee likes this.
  9. KatrinaHunt13

KatrinaHunt13 And *POOF* it appeared!

I would buy a few extra mats and blades. I have managed to cut thru my mat a couple of times and since you are learning, it might be a good idea to have a few on hand just in case! FYI I still used it, just not in the cut spot! LOL

Don't be scared of print and cut! It's so fun and versatile, especially if you do hybrid scrapping. It's ruined me as far as real paper companies, except for a couple (Jillibean Soup for one).

Look for free cut files on line, you can find a ton of them. Also, look at your digital kits. A lot of the png die cut mats you can use as cut files on your silhouette. You just have to trace them. @Scrapping with Liz has a lot of great ones here.

let me know if you have questions!

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

11. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.