Moving Tips?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by krscraps, Mar 22, 2019.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Hi guys!

So I am moving to Florida at the end of May (woo!) and this is my first real move. The place is furnished (furniture, plates, washer/dryer), which is helpful. I was just wondering if you have any tips. I'm basically moving down in a car.

What do I replace when I get there? What are important things to bring from home (besides the basics). What kind of tools and stuff would you recommend having? What do I bring from home vs. transport down.

So many questions! Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I am one of those strange people that love to move!
    I sell as much as possible and bring my loves.
    Pack only what you love, use this move as a decluttering process
    (highly recommend reading the Magic of Tidying Up)
    [​IMG]
    Kitchen things. Box and label. The things you love to use.
    Bedroom/Bathroom things.
    Decorations. Those ones that make you smile again and again.
    I always bring these, last in, first out.
    1. cleaning supplies:
    • broom/mop & bucket
    • sponges
    • soap
    • and
    • cleaners bathroom/kitchen
    • paper towels/rags
    • toilet paper/tissues ♥
    2. I have a scentsy (wax warmer) I love to plug in right off.
    3. a couple things (I have a painting, I adore and it is home to me)
    4. a hammer/screwdriver set and nails
    5. box with forks/paper plates/cups
    6. coffee maker (I'm an addict) and the fixings
    7. most favorite blanket

What an adventure of fun!

krscraps and bcnatty like this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Put the things you will need in the first 5 days in boxes that say Unpack Me First. Anne gave you a good list.

If you are moving from the frozen North, consider storing or letting go of all those sweaters, boots, etc. so you have more room for many pairs of flip-flops and swimsuits. :bananaBut do keep at least one coat for the trips back to visit friends/relatives, etc.

bestcee, Tree City and krscraps like this.
  4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Our uncle, who is also our realtor, told us to sell everything that we can before we move. It cost a fortune to move things 1000 miles from PA to FL. It’s cheaper to buy new when we get there. I’m really looking forward to a new house and new furniture. I’ve never moved this far, either. Good luck to you!

Cherylndesigns and krscraps like this.
  5. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Oooohhhh...how fun!!! Anne has given you some great tips!!

krscraps likes this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@krscraps these two ladies have good advice: @AnneofAlamo & @BevG .
    We have moved more than 20 times (ministry/army/immaturity and then life choices, lol!) including to two other countries.
    • The kitchen is primary- as Bev said.
    • Then the bedding- some towels- and of course several days worth change of clothes.
    • One thing I ALWAYS do is use disposable plates/cups, etc the first few days. Nobody has time to wash dishes or clothes that first several days.:circles
    • Things you use at least once a day- those in the car.
    • I too have one or two things that are put out right away to sort of "claim the space" and make it home.:heartlub
    • Seasonal stuff - in transport.
    • And if you are movin' to Fla, you need some bug spray- like- for the "flying cockroaches" as my sister in law calls them! They are big and they do fly but we call them Palmetto bugs,:lol ha! If you can spray under sinks, in trash areas and closets first before unpacking that would help. They love the adhesive on packing tape. If your place is treated regularly you will rarely see them.:like

7. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

No advice, but good luck with your move!

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I know you said it's furnished, but if you move a table, either unscrew the legs or flip the table over so it's resting on its top. One hard pothole (and there'll be many) and your table's legs can break. I know from experience. You can Google "pack table for a move" and there are lots of videos and tips.

Good luck! With a furnished place, part of me wants to say "pack just your clothes and your electronics and PEACE OUT!" but you do need some stuff. :) Bev's "unpack first" box is what we did when we last moved. You said you're packing up your car: make sure the box is easily accessible so you can grab it the moment you get to your new place. Some cleaning supplies, sheets (maybe even a pillow), phone charger, etc.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

The first box: AA & AAA batteries. Flashlight. Kitchen scissors. Scotch tape. Tacks. Nails. Screws. Hammer. Both kinds of screwdrivers. Cell phone charger(s). Slippers. Paper towels. Disposable dishes. Toilet paper. A small pad of paper & a pen/cil. Hand soap. All-purpose cleaner that works in the kitchen & the bathroom. Sheets.

To pack: Non-furniture family heirlooms. Sleeping pillow(s). Laptop. EHD(s). Christmas ornaments. Other electronics. Printed photos. Important documents & IDs. A (just one!) box of "homey"/cozy things like favorite blankets, art, knickknacks, etc. Clothes & shoes that fit you especially well, are very unique in pattern or style, and/or have some special memory attached to them.

You can literally replace anything else you own now once you get there.

I have moved cross-country twice with two vehicles full of stuff (and only those two vehicles full of stuff) so I know of what I speak.

Good luck on your new adventure!

bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We moved from Michigan to Florida a few years ago and sold/got rid of everything we could. We didn't really bring much with us at all. We started divesting ourselves of "stuff" about a year ahead of our move. We donated a lot - there were some good, legit charities near us that helped people who needed anything. Most had been homeless, so they took in anything. It felt good to give our stuff to them. Check and see if you have any agencies around you like that. I'll take stuff to Good Will, etc. but they're just going to sell it, so I'd rather give it to an organization that I know will use it wisely.

We also had some great garage/yard sales and not only got rid of a lot, but made some major money. We also priced moving companies and their prices were out of sight! So, we too decided we were going to get rid of our stuff and get new down here. Donna, you got good advice + @djp332 - I'm sure you know this, our "up north stuff" just doesn't work down here. LOL

Good luck with your move and my best advice is purge, purge, purge. Now's a great time to get rid of stuff!!

djp332 likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lots of great advice here. I was going to suggest toilet paper and trash bags. Those were always the things I didn't have handy when I'd move to a new place and I'd have to run to the store. Having said that... I keep telling my hubby that we can never move. We've been in our current house for 16 years now and have SOOO much STUFF. I feel like maybe we need to move, just so we would purge all the extra clutter that we just don't need. :giggle

Your move sounds amazing though and I hope you love being close to Disney! :)

krscraps likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Are your parents willing to let you store a small box of stuff at their house? If yes, leave your winter coat and gloves/other cold weather stuff. If no, bring the jacket, purge the gloves/etc.

Back seat: a box with glass cleaner, cleaner, garbage bags, paper towels, soap, shampoo, conditioner, hand towels, toilet paper, bathroom towel. Or, if space is at a premium, make a list and stop at the store on the way to the house to pick those things up. I always clean a place when I first walk in the doors. Especially the fridge and stove. Then, I always want to shower after cleaning!
    Clothes: Take your favorites. Put them all on the bed, and go through them. Keep in mind the weather differences! Let the rest go. Don't store them (except the coat). When we go to Utah from Las Vegas we layer. And it works. My mom has boys, so my son just borrows a winter jacket from her when we are up there (because he's outgrown all of his!). And I take mine. Other than that, we wear our Vegas clothes, just layered.
    Electronics: Go through your cords. Do you really need one cord per device? Example: I use one cord for my Kindle and my phone. I don't need two. Take your laptop. Pack it at the bottom of your trunk, closest to the backseat. You don't want to worry when you stop for gas or bathroom that someone will steal it.
    Kitchen: You said it's furnished. Don't bring anything.

Take the scrapbooks. Leave the clutter.

Above all, remember that Florida has a Target. Anything can be replaced if needed.

Yeah for moving closer to Disney!!

13. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I always need my kettle and stuff to make that cup of tea.
    Bedding, too, making my bed so I have somewhere to sleep is also high on that list of things to do.

Good luck with your move.