Monthly Muse November 2019 - Week 2

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Nov 12, 2019.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

NOVEMBER 2019 MUSE CHALLENGE

Hello my lovely peeps, are you ready for week 2??? :thumbsups

This month we are stepping into the world of advertising. I don't know about you but I often get a lot of inspiration from looking at advertisements. I love how creative and imaginative some of them can be. I think we can all can learn a lot of design principles by looking at them and figuring out just what we like about them, and then apply those principles to our own layouts.

As you study them, you can see the various design components that make up an advertisement. What draws your eye to an advertisement? Is it the overall page design, the photo or graphic used, the colour palette, the typographic art or the imaginative way of photo compositing? There are plenty of components and when put together they can really make a statement.

Before I go any further, please note that I am not an 'expert' in designing, and the words and terms I use to describe various design components are wholly my own interpretation. No doubt you will have your own views and perhaps will call them something else, but for the purpose of this challenge please bear with me. :) Of course, you are more than welcome to share your own opinions on what you think about the different design components. :)

Week 2: Graphics - The power of images

By Graphics I am referring to those advertisements that feature one photo/image which is the main focus of the page. It might have another type embellishment to support it like smaller photos, drawn lines, paint strokes etc. but it is the photo/image that really tells the story! Graphic styled advertisements tell a story through the use of a main image, at a glance the viewer will have some idea of what the advert is all about, just by looking at it. So this is what I want you to do this week, tell a story, just by using an image (or two) on your layouts.

Once again I have created an inspiration board for you, showing you the type of graphical style I am talking about. Use this board to find something that interests you or do your own search in Pinterest.

WEEK-2---GRAPHICS-BOARD-800.jpg

Things to take note of:
    - you will note again that the actual shape of the advertisement is rectangular, rather than Square. Like last week, you may want to use an A4 or Letter size layout.
    - the background is once again a solid (or gradient) colour, or a larger photo has been used, blended into the background so the main image stands out.
    - in some instances you will also see how the graphical artist as also used geometric shapes in their advertisements to add further interest and impact to their visual story.
    - important to note that you need an image of some sort to be the MAIN focus of the page. Anything else added to your layout needs to be in support of that image, without distracting from the main image.

Challenge for Week 2:
    Create a graphics type layout using ONE image as your main focus. Like the first week, please do not use any templates for this challenge. Text can be added as shown in some of the examples in the inspiration board, but like any other embellishments you are going to use, it must not detract from the main image, only support it.

I was inspired by the last image in the inspiration board above. I immediately thought of a photo I had of my youngest granddaughter when she was competing in a relay race at a regional school competition a couple of years ago. The photo itself was not the best quality which is why I played around with a couple of different photo treatments.

A4-LANAIA---BELIEVE-800.jpg
    Credits are in the gallery.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, but you need to use at least ONE photo/image. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to November 30, 2019 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

So get those creative thinking caps on, I am SURE you will all come up with some fantastic ideas! :):yahoo

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

A photo of my MIL at her 52nd b-day party. She wanted a bicycle and the kids pitched in to get her one.

[​IMG]

blueberries and wvsandy like this.
  3. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

4. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

I was inspired by the images popping out of frames. This image was perfect! Extractions are hard, LOL!
    [​IMG]

5. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge!
    [​IMG]

wvsandy and AJK like this.
  6. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thanks for the challenge.
    [​IMG]
    inspiration:
    [​IMG]

wvsandy likes this.
  8. wombat146

:circles:fairydance I go to bed and look what happens!!! all these beautiful and creative layouts pop into the thread!!! These are simply FANTASTIC girls!!! :clappy:happydance2

AJK likes this.
  9. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

11. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

12. wombat146

oooh, some more lovely additions ladies! :clappy:beat

13. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

You know, it never fails, at least once a month or so you can count on me to drop something in the gallery that sticks out like a cockroach on a wedding cake ...

First things first - that matchstick, I have no hecking idea where it came from. The only good thing about having a deficient memory system is you forget things so thoroughly when you stumble across them again it's like discovering them brand new (well, cos you are). The gift is still a treat the second time around.

I tried a reverse google search and didn't find anything even close, so I'm going to guess this was me playing around with watercolor filters. I could be wrong - it certainly won't be the first time.

Anyway, found the image, slapped it on a black background cos why not, and promptly fell in love with it. Once I tripped over the word play I knew there was no going back, it was just a matter of finding elements to add - which was not an easy task, I tell you what. Black on black is tricky.

So here it is, and I am so glad y'all put up with me and my weird art :-D

[​IMG]

mcurtt, SharLamb, AJK and 1 other person like this.
  14. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

15. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

16. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

Wow - these layouts are amazing!

wombat146 likes this.
  17. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

This Was Another Wonderful & Fun Challenge...I Love Large Graphics & So I Have Enjoyed All Of These Challenges So Far...I Did Week#3 First But Now I Am Back Here To Finally Post Week#2...I Gave This One A Bit More Thought Before Proceeding To Create My Layout...I Was Particularly Inspired By This Image:

WEEK-2---GRAPHICS-BOARD.jpg

*I Liked The Idea Of The 4 Versions Of Herself...So I Used 4 Photos...But With A Twist...2 Photos Used Twice...But With A Slightly Different Focus For Each Photo...With The Latter "Kicking" Photos Somewhat Mimicking The Idea Of Sport/Activity...And Made To Stand Out The Most...Giving Them The Most Impact In The Layout...Similarly But Differently In That I Used 2 Photos To Deliver The Most Punch/Impact Or In This Case "Kick"...Her Legs,Feet & Shoes Also Inspired The Images I Chose To Work With In The Kick Photos...Along With Her Head,Eyes & Headband...(In The Photos Of Her Head...& It's A Winter Hat/Tuque Mimicking The Headband...)...I Also Stuck To Lots Of Blue Shades...With Hints Of Orange...This Was Also Fun For Me Personally...I Created The Background Paper Myself...Using Pieces From Fallscape By Little Butterfly Wings...

[​IMG]

*For My Your Own Story:Kick It Up A Notch Layout-I Used:

*Mixed Media Monthly-November-Little Butterfly Wings/Paula Kesselring & Rachel Jefferies
    *Fallscape-Little Butterfly Wings

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  18. wombat146

Fun layout, very vibrant and full of energy! You have such a creative and imaginative mind! Terrific layout!

19. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

I Really Enjoyed This Challenge...And My Creativity Just Kept On Going...I Was Looking At The Colors Of The November Mixed Media Monthly...Those Pops Of Fuschia Gave Me An Idea For A Layout!...I Wanted It To Be Brighter In Tone Though(The M3 Colors Are More Subtle...)...The Idea That We Are More Than One Piece Of Ourselves...More Than One Person Within Ourselves...We Can Be Many People All Wrapped Up Into One Awesome Person!...So Here I Went With The Power Of Three For The Photos...With The Most Dominant Personality Taking Center Stage...Being That This Would Perhaps Represent The Brightest/Most Powerful...Most Influential...Person That We Are Or Ever Hope To Be...

*For My Pieces Of Me Layout-I Used:Mixed Media Monthly-November-Little Butterfly Wings/Lynne-Marie-Paula Kesselring & Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  20. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere