Monthly Muse Ideas for 2018!!

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by mimisgirl, Dec 19, 2017.

1. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

Hey All!

A big apology from me - some of you know that I have been having trouble with my thumbs this year - I have arthritis and over the summer grew some cysts between the bones in my thumb joints. The Dr.s have been trying to find the gentlest solution to the problem, but alas, gentle did not seem to work for me. The problem makes it very difficult to bend my thumb or grip things, like my phone or a computer mouse. Typing, other than the finger peck :) is out of the question too. So, I have been MIA the last few weeks as my thumbs have taken a turn for the worse and it is just too hard to get on the computer - and now that my teenager is in brick and mortar school I don't have as much help.

He is home today and helping me catch up! - YAY! (Say HI! to Adon my 14 year old :) )

I go in for my surgery in the morning to remove the cysts and shave down the bone spurs that have grown - which means I should have recovery over Christmas and New Year and then be ready to run again come January (fingers crossed) so I am hoping that all will be well, and I will be around more come the new year.

In the meantime, we are busy planning away in the background for the coming 2018 year. While we do that, we would LOVE to hear your feedback on the test run of the Monthly Muse this last year. This was something new that we tried out, and we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. There were some bumps, but we were able to work as a team to fill in the gaps and hopefully keep you just a little inspired through the year.

So tell us:

What did you LOVE most about the MUSE?

What are some things you would like to see again in 2018?

What are some new things you would like to see for 2018?

Do you have any styles, techniques, or other ideas you would LOVE to have us address/teach/share?

What is ONE thing we could do to make the MUSE even better?

Again, thank you for playing with us all year, and for being patient when real life interrupted our postings. We really enjoy being able to bring you inspiration to keep you creating all year long.

2. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@mimisgirl Good luck with your surgery & recovery. Hoping that all will be thumbs up, pardon the pun. :tu

I've had fun participating in the MUSE challenges all year, so nice to not have to use a photo. :-) I did enjoy the different sized templates that were offered and suggested, skinnies, triangle shapes (thank you @cfile), bullseyes. It gives you an option when life gets in your way to participate with a full-page commitment.

I'll get back to you on your questions. Again, keeping you in my thoughts... Take care and hugs!:happyhug

Oh, I thought of one thing, I'd love to have someone resurrect the Sissy Sparrows Cock & Bull challenges, also round robins. (but that is two things...)

mimisgirl and cfile like this.
  3. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

I was actually thinking of doing some of these!! Great minds

mcurtt likes this.
  4. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@mimisgirl I am sorry to hear about your health problems. Hopefully the surgery will do the trick...

As for the Muse, I totally enjoyed it all year and was already hoping that it will be continued.

I loved the different formats that were suggested (I also liked the Anne's MOC challenge with the gothic arch) and would love to see more of them. Also I liked the technique challenges, colour inspirations etc. I am not keen on topic inspirations. The November topic of "Grateful" for example didn't inspire me much, I rather use my own topics and go from a design or colour inspiration.

I second @mcurtt re the round robin. I liked the tango challenge from some time ago (not Muse) and thought it was really fun. Maybe it could be incorporated in the Muse.

What I liked most? Going back to all my pages, I loved June and August most. June even though it was a topic inspiration (sea) - I just loved how my pages turned out. August because it was rather technique driven and I could use my self chosen theme as a thread for the whole month.

Not sure I am helping here at all.....:)

5. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Oh no! I hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery!

I've loved the MUSES even if I didn't complete all four weeks for most of them or wasn't super thrilled with how mine came out.

6. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Hope the surgery goes well! I too have arthritis in my hands/thumbs but it hasn't stopped me from typing yet. I feel your pain.

I loved the Muse Challenges and even if I didn't post my completed LOs, know that I did finish them.
    I loved the variety of topics, sizes, etc. Everyone who played was a great inspiration too.

7. mcurtt

A bit different from the round robin, a twist on that was LiLi's Tango Partners:

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/it-takes-two-to-tango-dec-aj-challenge.45933/

I think we all had a blast and got some shared layouts done in record time. I partnered with LiLi, Sharon (a couple of times), Vivi and I may be missing someone. You started a layout, sent it to your partner who added to it, then you got it back to add/modify until you both called it finished. Then your partner had a chance to start one and then you got it, etc. Sharon and I had so much fun I think we did 4 layouts together, all on a Sunday afternoon. Looking back at the thread, Rikki and Sandy also participated and there were others. :-)

And the instructions, LiLi was tough...
    - Partner A will create layout A , Partner B create layout B
    - Swap layouts until you think your layout is finish.
    - IT HAS TO BE FLATTEN SO THAT YOU DON'T MOVE THINGS AROUND and that you learn to embrace someone elses creativity as it is.

wvsandy and Karen like this.
  8. mcurtt

Oops, didn't notice that Rikki had mentioned Tango Partners.

9. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your health issues - must be frustrating to be so active on the computer and not able to type! Hope the surgery goes well and your recovery is swift and complete.

As for the Monthly Muse - I love anything that lets me create an ATC. I love that the challenges were weekly. Like Rikki, I don't care for "topic" months, but I, too, was pleased with my four ATC's the month the topic was "the sea".

The "cock and bull" challenge, mentioned by mcurtt, actually has been resurrected as "TTNRH" challenge ("Things That Never Really Happened") over at Plain Digital Wrapper. They are so much fun to do and to see everyone's creativity. It would be fun to have something similar here too.

10. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your thumb problems. I LITERALLY feel your pain. I had an episode of intense pain at the base of my thumbs, the right one in particular, earlier this month. I was in pain for over 24 hours, even when I wasn't moving. Hopefully, the surgery went well and the problem will be taken care of.
    Hi, Adon. We here at TLP want to thank you for helping out your mom!
    I did 10 of the months as ATC's (lately my preferred "style"). The other two months were "skinnies." It was fun to not HAVE to do a full page.
    There are always "days" dedicated to something every month, such as, did you know today is "National Flashlight Day" and tomorrow is "National Date Nut Bread Day?" Maybe each week could be something like that as the inspiration.
    My biggest "gripe" with ANY weekly challenge is when it doesn't appear on the day expected without any explanation. Of course I understand issues can come up, but, if SOMEONE could just post that "the host's computer blew up" or "her baby arrived early" or some such explanation, then at least we wouldn't feel in the dark. It is especially hard at the beginning of the month when you don't know if the challenge is continuing.
    Again, wishing you a speedy recovery and a HEALTHY 2018!

11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm not quite sure what this challenge is about. I've seen it, but haven't taken the time to figure it out! Hopefully I'll be able to find the time in the new year.

wvsandy likes this.
  12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

My brain and inner muse has been conversing with myself, and I think I may have some obscure, but ever so fun creating ideas for 2018. I want to delve into some texture and streampunk. Altered books, and gothic arch books.....
    Any one up for something like this?

wvsandy and Karen like this.
  13. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I like the altered books.... as I have dabbled a little in that in the past.

14. Rikki

I'm not much into steampunk but anything altered YES! I remember there used to be something like that at Scrapartist, altered playing cards etc. and that was really fun.

Karen likes this.
  15. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Altered playing cards sounds interesting.

But for me personally, if we did altered art using hybrid items, I would never keep up if it was weekly.

16. Rikki

@A-M Oh no. It was strictly digital. I wouldn't do anything hybrid if my life depended on it.

wvsandy likes this.
  17. mcurtt

Love steampunk! What is a gothic arch book @AnneofAlamo? And don't forget that we have an artist trading card digital swap (aka altered playing cards) orchestrated by the wonderful @jenevang over in the Scrapping Pad. It has been running for over 2 years. Always looking for more participants.:fairydance:moo:tree

jenevang likes this.
  18. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

well, i don't even know if it exists, but it should !!! lol
    taking a template, like the gothic arch for last years MOC, picking one and creating a small book of altered art journaling adventure. It could be a story, a yarn, or just creating for the sake of creating. Each week, you make at least one arch to add to your story with inspiration from the hostess (me) and finalize it to the last week!
    Printed out flat, you just would add a ribbon to make it all together across it...almost like Mirjam has the two edge pieces. they fold together for a a book of creating!
    folder.jpg

wvsandy and mcurtt like this.
  19. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

I'm kinda taken with the "steampunk" look, but don't know if I could do it. Wouldn't mind trying!

20. mcurtt

I love this idea! :heartlub