Monthly Muse Challenge Nov 2019 - Week 4

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Nov 25, 2019.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

NOVEMBER 2019 MUSE CHALLENGE

This month we are stepping into the world of advertising. I don't know about you but I often get a lot of inspiration from looking at advertisements. I love how creative and imaginative some of them can be. I think we can all can learn a lot of design principles by looking at them and figuring out just what we like about them, and then apply those principles to our own layouts.

As you study them, you can see the various design components that make up an advertisement. What draws your eye to an advertisement? Is it the overall page design, the photo or graphic used, the colour palette, the typographic art or the imaginative way of photo compositing? There are plenty of components and when put together they can really make a statement.

Before I go any further, please note that I am not an 'expert' in designing, and the words and terms I use to describe various design components are wholly my own interpretation. No doubt you will have your own views and perhaps will call them something else, but for the purpose of this challenge please bear with me. :) Of course, you are more than welcome to share your own opinions on what you think about the different design components. :)

Week 4: Photo Composites
    This week it is all about a using two (or more) photos that have been merged to together to create a new and composited image. By using your masking tools, you should be able to merge at least two images together.

I am always in awe with how some graphical artists merge photos together, and as you can see in the inspiration board below, quite a few have very creative and imaginative minds!

Use the inspiration board below or use another inspiration source to create your own page! :)

WEEK-4---PHOTO-COMPOSITING-BOARD-800.jpg

I wasn't as imaginative as some of the examples above, but I did blend/merge 3 photos together to create a composited image. Below you will see the three (3) photos that I used and I marked the areas on photo 2 and 3 to show just what parts I used for photo 1.
    PHOTOS-1-3-800.jpg

In the original photo the water had a green tinge to it as we had a lot of rain just prior to the day I took the photo, but I wanted some blue water! lol! I found a photo I took of a river and selected some of the water to blend/mask into the photo. In the original photo, in the bottom left hand corner, there was a lot of very fine greenery that I couldn't extract properly so, to solve that problem, I merged another photo I had taken earlier that day of a flowering rhododendron, and placed it in this area to cover all that pesky greenery! :)

The main thing to remember when merging photos like this is to be aware of the lighting, for the plant that I used from photo 3, I needed to make sure that it had some shady parts, to fit in with the main photo.

Here is my finished page:
    12X12-EMU-GARDENS---BEAUTY-REVEALS-ITSELF-800.jpg
    Credits are in the gallery.

Challenge for Week 4
    Use a minimum of TWO photos to create a composite photo. Then use the composite photo in a layout in any style you like. PLEASE POST the original photos separately so we can see what you used in creating your own composite. Use the UPLOAD FILE/ ATTACH button to upload those photos into your POST, please DO NOT upload them to the gallery.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, but you need to use at least ONE photo/image. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly ok or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to November 30, 2019 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

If you have any questions then please ask away!! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Oh MAN! The hardest challenge yet! Gonna have to sleep on THIS one!

3. wombat146

You can do it Sharron!! I know you have the skills and are very creative! xx :)

SharLamb likes this.
  4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Ona, thank you for the fun month of challenges! Here is my composite. I used a base photo of the mushrooms and tree trunk. Added DH behind the mushrooms. Topped it with some of our flowers, then tucked in the caution sign behind the flowers, just because it was yellow :-), which seems to be the color I'm going with here. Decorated it all a bit with word art, some paint, a few elements...

[​IMG]

Here are my four photos:
    2019-11_November-TLP_AJ_04_Composite_4-Photos_web.jpg

Dady, AJK, wombat146 and 1 other person like this.
  5. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

[​IMG]

I made a composition with

fruit-2138391.jpg Watermelons_Boys_Piece_505365.jpg

Dady and mcurtt like this.
  6. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge!

[​IMG]

Here are my three images
    11_Simon-Harrod_-F-45003961294_e974bb3dc6_k.jpg 14_annie-spratt-nLuuM5RiNVk-unsplash.jpg 25_Lynn-Scott---F-5038002442_1e9fa43753_o.jpg

mcurtt likes this.
  7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I have NO imagination (get all my ideas from other people!), so this was way more difficult for me than most AJ MM Challenges...but fun. Probably won't do this often, partly because I don't like doing extractions, and it doesn't always (usually?) work to just blend one photo into another, and also because it isn't one of my favorite styles. But I love seeing what the rest of you have done, and I don't hate my own.
    [​IMG]
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galle...nal_11-19_wk4_composite_claraoncactus.411716/
    Short Cactus.jpg Tall Cactus.jpg Clara.jpg The 3 photos I used, although the middle one was not blended, rather clipped to the title.

Cherylndesigns and mcurtt like this.
  8. wombat146

GAH!!!! Looooooooook at these super creative pages already!!! all of you have certainly been busy while I was asleep! Off to the gallery I go!!! :)

mcurtt likes this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Oh! Oh! OHHHHH!!!! LOVE doing this!
    [​IMG]

mcurtt and wombat146 like this.
  10. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I went very simple and didn't use any additional elements.
    [​IMG] _MG_8497.JPG _MG_7941.JPG

mcurtt, wvsandy and wombat146 like this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

20811086605_e21a0a60b0_o.jpg Here's my first one.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    wombat146 and mcurtt like this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

And had fun with another.
    [​IMG]
    book-1659717.jpg

Attached Files:

wombat146 likes this.
  13. wombat146

:fairydance:circles:byay more STUNNING pages!!!! ........ :run........running to the gallery! :)

14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What a fun challenge, @wombat Ona! I combined 4 different photos to make my composite. Here's my finished layout.

[​IMG]

Here are the 4 pictures that I combined into one.

composite1-resized.jpg composite-2-resized.jpg composite3-resized.jpg composite4-resized.jpg

AJK likes this.
  15. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

I used the baby from this picture: Photo by kelvin octa from Pexels.jpg

The peapod from this picture: Image by cocoparisienne from Pixabay.png

And integrated them into this picture: Image by Ruslana Babenko from Pixabay.jpg

To create my page:
    [​IMG]

16. wombat146

wow! gorgeous work ladies! some stunning additions!! :heartlub

17. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Fun! Thanks for these great challenges!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

This Week#4 Challenge Was Right Up My Alley For Sure!...My Favorite Thing To Do Is Blending!...Photos,Papers,Elements...Well...Quite Frankly,Anything I Can Get My Digital Hands On!!!...I Never Tire Of Blending Things Together...It Is The Most Fun I Think I Can Have!...Things Don't Seem To Look Right To Me Unless They Are Blended Somehow...Essentially...My Collage Layout Is A Mixture Of 13 Photos!!!...Yes!...13 Photos!...Almost A Record For Me...Almost...This Layout Encapsulates The Autumn Equinox In It's Beginnings In September...And Progresses It's Way Through October & Then On To November...And With Those Candy Canes...Just...Peeking Out...Signalling The End Of November & The Beginning Of The Holiday Season...I Know You Don't Want To See All 13 Of The Photos Here...So I Will Just Show You A Few...

feeling-foxy-710454_1920.jpg you-don't-know-jack-3735387_1920.jpg distant-window-panes-2945188.jpg autumn-forest-3834497_1920.jpg autumn-pathway-nature-4498907_1920.jpg beautiful-fall-foliage-3705550_1920.jpg

So That's Six...& The Other 3 Are At The Bottom Of This Post...Just Click On The Arrows If You Want To See The Other 3...So That's Nine In Total...

*For My Gimpses Of An Autumn Equinox Layout-I Used:

*Create Crate Monthly-Bohemian Fall-September 2018-Becca Bonneville/Kristin Aagard
    *Create Crate Monthly-Cozy & Crisp-September 2017-Bella Gypsy/Kristin Aagard/Mommyish
    *This Month Captured-October 2016-Bundle-Mommyish
    *Autumn & Woodland Autumn-Kristin Aagard
    *Autumn Love-Collab-After Five Designs(1)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  19. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

cat.jpg
    These two pictures were combined to produce the dat and the cog on my ATC.
    dog.jpg

[​IMG]

20. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG... This was SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

rain-455124_1920.jpg aesthetic-4621334_1920.jpg redheads-4606477_1920.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    AJK likes this.