MONTHLY MUSE CHALLENGE - FEB 2020 | WEEK 2

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Feb 10, 2020.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

header-for-muse-feb-2020-FULL-RES-600.jpg
    As you can see by the challenge header above, our topic to muse upon this month is centered around TREES. Trees are such an integral and important part of the world around us so I wanted to explore how they intertwine with our lives in so many different ways.

WEEK 2 - THE MAGIC & MYSTERY OF TREES
    I love to wander through the forest, there is something so very magical about them. The colours, the sounds, the sheer vitality of the place often gives me goosebumps! It doesn't matter what time of day, or what season it is, I always find myself just looking around with awe. Often I have imagined that the trees standing in front of me, seen through early morning mist, looked just like a army, standing very still and silent. Walking along the overgrown paths and tracks, my thoughts often turn to Ents and my imagination will often pick out a face in a tree's trunk!

There is a mysterious aura about these trees, especially those trees that have been alive for hundreds of years, that simply dumbfounds me. Last November we went on a picnic with some friends that were holidaying from the mainland. We were going to a place called Dip Falls, located on the North West Coast of Tasmania, in a little place called Mawbanna. On the way there we stopped at a little forest reserve and in it, was one such, old tree! It was simply called 'The Big Tree' and it was estimated to be was over 500 years old! I just stood there entranced, looking at it, what sights this tree would have seen! I mean, it was only a little seedling way back in 1520!! Those sorts of facts are something I just can not comprehend! :faint2

What do you experience when you go walking in the forest or woods? Have you come across any OLD trees? Or have you ever seen a tree that reminds you of some fantastical other-worldly creature? What about walking through the forest on a hot summer's day, do you find the coolness beneath those big branches overhead simply wonderful and refreshing?

A forest is a place where the soul can go find peace and simply refresh itself. For me, and no doubt for a lot of people, the forest is also a very spiritual place, where you can commune with the spirits of nature, where the daily routine is forgotten and where you can get in touch with your own higher self.

Your challenge this week is to scrap a layout about how the forest/wood affects you. What do you like about going there, what do you feel? Do you imagine seeing faces or shapes when you look at some of the trees? Or is it your spiritual 'go to' place to find or refresh yourself?

Here is an inspirations board I have created using Pinterest, take a look and see if any of the images or quotes will inspire you. :)

WEEK-2-INSPIRATION-BOARD-jpg-1000.jpg
    Credits: All pictures are from Pinterest except for the bottom one in the left hand corner. That is my own photo, taken in another forest down here Tasmania, at a place called Weldborough Pass Forest Walk (That forest also had so very old trees!!). It was taken in 2008 and I used it to create a fairy house layout for my eldest granddaughter who was only 7 years old at the time. :)

Here is my page: I did a layout of the little rain forest reserve at Mawbanna that I mentioned above. I was feeling in a painterly mood so I 'painted' on one copy of the photo using the Photoshop Mixer Brushes, and then I ran a copy of the photo through the Topaz Simplify program and then merged the two together and finished it off with products from Rachel Jefferies.
    12x12-MAWBANNA---MAGICAL-PATHWAYS.jpg
    Credits: Please see layout in Gallery.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly okay or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to February 29, 2020 EST and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Looking forward to see your pages everyone!! :)

blueberries and A-M like this.
  2. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

"What do you experience when you go walking in the forest or woods?"
    The "woods" is NOT my place. I would NEVER go walking in the woods just for a stroll. There is no "awe" for me in a forest. Trees are one thing. I can appreciate the majesty of a (repeat "a") tree. A "forest" is just a place to get out of as fast as possible. Dark. Scary. Where the bodies are buried.
    [​IMG]

3. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

4. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Dady and mcurtt like this.
  5. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I didn't read your entire instructions, I didn't notice that your photo was taken in a rainforest. Well, so is mine. :-) It is the Hoh Rain Forest in Olympic National Park. It rains 140 inches per year on average. It was dark and damp and a total jungle, and we all were in awe. I love trees, we live in a forest, (lots of my layouts feature our woods) we plant trees every year. We have large burr oaks and shagbark hickory trees on the property. It used to be a cow pasture, and so the trees were left to offer shade to the animals. When we first moved in, we had a landscape architect out to give us some advice with the property. He estimated that the burr oaks were close to 300 years old. Sadly, we've lost two in the almost 30 years we've lived here. We were told that burr oaks grow for 100 years, live for 100 years, die for 100 years. So different from my youth, where I grew up in the concrete jungle of Chicago. Everyone had a small patch of grass out in the front of their home, between the road and the sidewalk. And usually there was a tree planted there. And in the postage stamp backyard, perhaps another tree...

[​IMG]

Dady likes this.
  6. wombat146

wow! look at all of these wonderous layouts!! really enjoyed reading about your memories and looking at all of your creations, you are all so very creative!!! :heartlub

mcurtt likes this.
  7. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

Our Grandfather Tree apparently is over 250 years old.
    [​IMG]

8. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

9. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I am loving this topic
    [​IMG]

10. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

11. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge !

[​IMG]

12. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

No need to improve on John Steinbeck so I didn't even try; he says it so eloquently:
    [​IMG]

13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for bringing back the memories, Ona. I'd forgotten how exciting it was to go "see the changing of the leaves". Growing up in the Midwest, that was a big deal.

[​IMG]

14. wombat146

oh boy!!! what stunning trees ladies!!!! love, love, love these layouts!! :wub

@Electra Beautiful grandfather tree, 250 years old! just wow!!!

@Janisn Jan, I literally got goose bumps reading your journaling here! I have seen them in movies and those areas in the bayou would be thrilling to see close up!!

@Pups_r_Paps Fabulous quote and yes, it does say it all!

@Cherylndesigns Love watching the trees change colour as well!

Electra and Cherylndesigns like this.
  15. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

Great Monthly Muse!!!...I Think I'm Enjoying This Too Much!...A Chance To Scrap About Nature!...And This Week...The Mystery & Magic Of Trees...There's No Doubt That They Are Magical...But Let's Chat More About The Mystery That Lies Therein...I Have...So Many Times Just Sat Quietly & Listened To The Rustling...The Breeze Passing Through These Beloved Trees...Especially In The Chill & Cold Of Winter...It Often Sounds Like The Breath Of Air...Like A Winter Song...A Howling Breeze...A Windy Chill...A Brisk & Cool "Song"...Yes!...A Song!...The Song Of Trees Singing In The Winds Of Winter...It's Both Refreshing & All Together Moving...The Howling Wind Can Be Mesmerizing If You Just Listen...[That Is...If You Can Just Forget About The Fact That You Are Freezing!!!]...They Are Communicating With Us...This Is Their Voice...And It Is Mighty...They Stand Tall,Strong,Fierce & Steadfast Against The Bitter Cold Winds Of Winter...And Yet Remain Strong,Fierce & Persevere Through Their Own Adversity...It Is Fantastical To Me!!!!!!!!!!...How They Can Withstand The Wickedness Of Winter...And Reign Strong With Their Arms Wide Open...Awaiting With Anticipation...The Warmest Embrace...For The Upcoming Spring To Reach Out & Send The Warmest Of Hellos!!!...

*For My Take My Breath Away Layout-I Used:Some Bunny Loves You-Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    flowersgal and wombat146 like this.
  16. wombat146

wow!! Absolutely love your post your post here, I can so relate to hearing how you hear the trees sing, it's such a wondrous sound! STunning layout as well!

17. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Here is my page for this week:
    [​IMG]

18. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I have so many different versions of this in my folder right now - big ones, small ones, some with an accompanying poem ... the more I worked on it the more I wasn't satisfied, which is never a good thing.But the week is coming to a close, so I picked the simplest one. I may or may not keep tooling on the others.

Side note: I'm freaking obsessed with that canvas texture :-D

Side note 2: I just realized the version I picked doesn't have any accompanying text, so I'll go ahead and mention I love the woods. I find them to be very magical, spiritual places.

[​IMG]