MONTHLY MUSE CHALLENGE - FEB 2020 | WEEK 1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Feb 3, 2020.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

header-for-muse-feb-2020-FULL-RES-600.jpg

Hi everyone and welcome to the first Muse Challenge for 2020! Hope you are all well and ready to create your way through twenty-twenty!!

As you can see by the challenge header above, our topic to muse upon this month is centered around TREES. Trees are such an integral and important part of the world around us so I wanted to explore how they intertwine with our lives in so many different ways.

WEEK 1 - MEMORY OF TREES

Do you have any memories in regard to a tree of some sort? When you were a child, did you have a favorite tree that you used to play under or climb? Or were you lucky enough to have had a tree house of some sort? Did you ever sit under tree to read or to simply daydream an afternoon away? Perhaps you were married beneath a special tree or carved your boyfriend's initials into one? Or was there simply a tree that you loved, for no reason at all, just because it was a tree?

I have lots of memories from childhood involving trees. At around 8 I had four fruit trees that were my 'pupils' in my class. An old chalkboard nailed to the wall of an old shed, which was surrounded by these particular trees, was my school room and I taught them all my multiplication tables! :giggle

Another fruit tree grew beside a fish pond my father had built. There was a big garden bench beneath it and that is where I would sit to read or think or simply watch the goldfish swimming around in the fish pond.

Throughout my life I have had a certain affinity to trees, watching them, listening to them when the wind would rush through their branches, and in later years, planting them and watching them grow and flourish! I simply love trees!

Here is an inspiration board that might give you some ideas or remind you of some memories from your childhood or later years.

WEEK-1-INSPIRATION-BOARD-1000-JPG.jpg

For this week's challenge I would like you to share a tree memory of your own. You can journal about it or not, but if you don't, please share with us what that memory is when you post your page in this thread.

If you don't have any specific tree memories, then scrap about a favourite tree you might have. What is it about the tree that you find attractive, is it the shape of the tree, the colour of its bark, leaves, fruit or blossoms?

Here is my page:
    I was around 9-10 years old I think, and this is the bench I would go to sit on sometimes, just to watch the fish swim by. Our backyard was filled with fruit trees, so in Spring it was such a magical place with all the blossoms flowering in various colours. Sitting on the bench allowed me to see all of the backyard in its splendor. I can also remember listening to the bees buzzing in blossoms in the tree above me and around me. This such a happy childhood memory! (Photo resolution is terrible! lol)

12X12-YOUNGER-ME---MEMORIES-800.jpg
    Credits: Fern {Entire Bundle} w/ Exclusive Elements by Rebecca McMeen

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. If you want all 4 Muses on one page that's perfectly okay or you can make 4 separate pages!! It's totally up to you! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to February 29, 2020 EST and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Looking forward to see your pages everyone!! :)

Dalis and A-M like this.
  2. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Love that “we” are back, and that you’ve given us such a wonderful challenge. I know exactly what I’m going to do. This is incentive enough to shorten my morning coffee-in-bed. Hmmmm. Well maybe not. ;)

Dalis and wombat146 like this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I love trees!! So many, many photos and memories... hmm, which story to pick.

4. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

what a great way to spend a monday morning
    long ago, we moved from overseas on base very protected place to the wild and crazy California. I was 13, it was overwhelming to my mind, heart and ever changing teen body. I would spend hours laying on a pool float in our backyard, staring into the weeping willow tree of our neighbors.
    43 years later, the tree and pool are both gone, but the peace I got staring up into a tree is still something I fall back on, when life is overwhelming!

[​IMG]

6. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I don't have a "memory" with a tree. I took this in a more "spiritual"direction, as Art Journaling is not necessarily tied to memories in the way that scrapbooking is.
    [​IMG]

8. CarolynJoyce77

CarolynJoyce77 Snozberries? Who ever heard of a snozberry?!

love love love this topic

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I don't have a memory of /with a tree. I do have a strong affinity with trees, and it all relates to inner life. I took this in a more "spiritual" direction as AJ is not necessarily tied to memories like scrapbooking is.
    [​IMG]

Dalis likes this.
  10. wombat146

:byay:byayoooh yippeeee!! Look at all of these gorgeous creations that have been done while I was sleeping!!! So happy that you all liked this week's theme! now off to read more about your memories!!! :fairydance

Dalis likes this.
  11. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

This might actually be the quickest I've ever gotten a MM done :-D

What I started out with and what I finished with are night and day, but once this one started taking shape there was no turning back.

My tree memory is orange trees - specifically when they bloom. There's a stretch of Highway 15 between Kissimmee and Orlando that runs through a large section of orange groves ... although now that I think about it that's probably past tense these days. I haven't been over that way in more than ten years; it's likely fallen prey to capitalism/tourism.

At any rate, starting sometime in March the trees would bloom, and the smell of orange blossoms was as thick as scent can get. It played hell with hayfever and allergies but I didn't even care. I'd pop some sinus medicine and roll the car windows down - and keep them down until the inevitable headache set in.

I don't know the last time I smelled orange blossoms like that. I miss it more than I ever thought I would.

[​IMG]

12. wombat146

@blueberries Brenda, read my comments on your page in the gallery!! Where is that Twilight music when you need it!! lol!!! :)

Dalis likes this.
  13. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Thankyou Ona @wombat146 for a great theme for this muse as it brought back some great memories for me. I thought I had another old photo of my sister under the tree when it was bigger but could not find it. I enjoyed writing my very first Haiku so thankyou for the incentive to do that. I think I might write some more in the future.

[​IMG]

14. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

15. CarolynJoyce77

CarolynJoyce77 Snozberries? Who ever heard of a snozberry?!

16. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Journaling reads: I don’t have many memories of trees in our small backyard, although there is one cropped out of the photo next to me. But I do remember the large apple tree next door. The neighbors would share the bounty with us every year with a bushel of fruit. Mom and Busia would get down to business and make yummy apple pies.

[​IMG]

flowersgal, Dalis and Cherylndesigns like this.
  17. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

18. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thanks Ona for this challenge !

[​IMG]

Dalis likes this.
  19. RJMJ

RJMJ There is a shade of red for every woman.

I Love This Month's Muse!...Well I Pretty Much Love Them All!...I Love Interpreting All The Monthly Muses...

I Have Had A Love Of Trees My Whole Life...From The Birch Trees In The Backyard At My Parent's Family Home Where We Grew Up...To The Neighbors Lilac Trees...To The Maple Trees Also At A Neighbors Yard...Directly Beside Our Driveway...To The Majestic Lined Country Pathways Ever So Safely Guarded...In Autumn...Trees Have Always Been A Constant In My Life...I Just Love The Grounded & Safe Feeling Trees Give Me...And Just Being Able To Breathe In Their Life,Beauty & Majestic Strength...Is A Great Way To Spend Some Quality Time...If Perhaps Just To Recharge & Relax...Or A Quiet Time In Peaceful Contemplation...

*For My Memory Of Trees:A Lifetime Journey Layout-I Used:Wander & Explore-Bundle-Rachel Jefferies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Dalis likes this.
  20. wombat146

ooooooh goodie!!!! :circles more stunning layouts!! ladies you have all excelled this week! wow!!! :heartlub:heartlub

Dalis likes this.