Monthly Muse Challenge- April 2020- WEEK 1

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by MrsPeel, Apr 10, 2020.

1. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Hello hello my lovelies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Apologies once again for the delay... I have been dealing with some health issues plus the whole life here, wont go on about it, because I think (to quote dear @BevG !!!) we need a diversion...right?
    I have to confess, I had this planned since summer, but with the current events exploding and spreading world wide, I kinda wondered for a bit if I should go with some related inspiration for this month's Muse..... but I think some of the monthly challenge give way for it, and I am sure many of us can do with taking our minds from it.... so, here we are...

The inspiration for this month's Muse came from my Anti Journal, again. If you were here last year, we did a couple of prompts that came out of stiff I had done in summer with my book... the Anti Journal is (well, of course!) a Journal, with prompts that can be interpreted in so many ways, it is amazing to see how people take the same prompt and come up with so awesome and sometimes completely original stuff....
    For this one, it says:
    "Google your childhood postcode and turn it into a quilt of memories"
    _____________________________EDIT TO ADD__________________________

To clarify some of your questions :
    first of all, IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE A PAGE AND YOU ARE HAPPY WITH IT, IT IS TOTALLY FINE!!!!!!! This monthly challenge is meant to inspire you, if you are happy with whatever way you take the prompt to, I am more than happy too!!!!!!

THE POST CODE/ZIP CODE

is the number of your area, the "google" (which I apologize, I should have translated to a world language, the authors of the book are Brits...) the post code means to go to the street map, in the search area type the number, and it will give you the map of your area..... you most definitely do NOT need to do this if you don't want to, if you lived in many places, choose the one that gives you the most pleasure to scrap as memories, if you want to do it in a different shape, then that too is more than OK!!!!!! I did was more my teenage years as I spent most my toddlers years traveling from Brazil to Argentina and back, different cities, military areas, plus I had operations every year from birth to 8 years old...only started walking aged 5, so I chose what I thought best reflected memories into a kind of nice page :)

This is what I got when I googled it in the street map, the map is bigger in my post answering to you guys, post #21 in page 2 if I am not mistaken, if you compare with the hand drawn image of my Anti Journal, you will see I chose part of it, it is kind of translated well into digital,

Screenshot 2019-06-30 at 14.35.50.png

but anyway, as I said.
    LET YOUR CREATIVITY AND IMAGINATION HAVE PLEASURE WITH THE PROMPT, YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO EXACTLY AS I DID!!!!!
    but you can if that makes you happy!!!
    the most important thing is to enjoy the scrapping!!!!!

On paper and on digital, you can go about in so many ways......!!!!
    What I did on the actual journal was hand drawn, but I had it in my mind all these months, that I could duplicate exactly what I had done with kits... only I couldn't exactly ... (hence the delay) I still haven't manage to replace the External Hard Drove that burnt last, I have the data to restore, but can't access at at the moment, so I had to go with the kits I have been downloading in the past few months... and I had to change a bit the structure as I should have started on A4 but by the time I realized...was too late and my program had started slowing down.... anyway, please, DO NOT get put of by the amount of stuff I have in my page......
    I had the cleaner page I wanted to do half way done, but it was crashing and, as I said, didn't want to delay it any longer.

For the drawn journal page, I googled the postcode, print it, then copied the way the different sectors were, and starting drawing stuff of the things/places I had the most intense memories.... and I know I am very full on (an element hoarder!!!) but you can go about it whatever way you think fits what you feel/want to make a record of.....
    the page I started has, for example, only a word art stapled, the bits of paper I used are different and meant to represent the feeling of the memory, you can use paints, papers, word arts, word strips, alphas, elements, of course, little people...whatever you think it fits your idea !!! You can even use photos if you would like to, whatever inspire you to make your "quilt of memories!!!" Just remember to follow gallery rules, your page doesn't need to have the elements galore I have in mind, but it needs to use TLP product following gallery rules :)

Here are both of mine, my original hand drawn on the Journal, and the digital page.
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_175a.jpg

Here in the digital version, I was having trouble getting the shadows to work so, please, ignore any... anything that is the way it shouldn't be LOL
    You can click in the image to get to my gallery, in case you are interested to know what come from which kits :)

[​IMG]

I will try to finish the cleaner page for tomorrow, my sight is already pushing, but I am 100% sure you guys will come up with marvelous pages!!!!!!!!!
    I honestly cannot wait to see what you will come up with!!!!

SO..... recapitulating:
    Google your childhood post code - or an area where you have memories of childhood/teenage years) and turn it into a quilt of memories.
    You may create any style of layout - ie. clean and simple, artsy, .. as a matter of fact I was thinking whilst I was making the digital, is a bit like a pocket page, only the blocks are a bit wonky in some parts- :giggle any style you wish, with or without a photos.
    Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you. I'm not sure this month will be fitting for having 4 parts on one page, but, if you want to and can fit , whatever inspires you is ok with me!!!! :)

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to MAY 10th, 2020 (as we are starting on the 10th, then we get a month properly!) and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner after May 10th when all pages have been posted, who will get a very nice coupon!!!! You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines)
    Thanks so much for playing with us, in advance!!!!
    I will also start a thread for seeing a day and time for a Muse chat if you would like to have another diversion!!!!
    Thanks so much also for being the most amazing scrap family one could hope for!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stay Safe!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    KarenB, mcurtt, Rikki and 4 others like this.
  2. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Oh, I really love this. I am just trying to remember my post code.

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I am assuming that " postcode " is not like what we have here in Australia which is just a 4 numbered number. ???

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. Dalis

Anne-Marie, Post-code for us is a code that the Postal service gives to a region. Like mine was 00983, this code let's the postal service know that it is in an area that covers about 20 neighborhoods.

MrsPeel likes this.
  5. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I'm rural.... is this the same as Zip Code?

MrsPeel, Dalis and AJK like this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I think so! I've never heard it called a "post code". And I moved four times as a kid, so...:spin:imok:think:hehe

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh, I'm ON it! I have been lost in the memories ever since I saw your post, My Sister!!! SO many memories. :heartslub:heartslub:heartslub

MrsPeel likes this.
  8. CarolynJoyce77

CarolynJoyce77 Snozberries? Who ever heard of a snozberry?!

what a fabulous prompt I love it :) I am going to let my memories of my childhood run wild and see what I end up with and can I just add I am so happy this takes the focus off Covid-19

MrsPeel likes this.
  9. Dalis

YEP!

MrsPeel likes this.
  10. Dalis

Yep, zip code, postal code, post code.

MrsPeel likes this.
  11. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I am still confused.... so this is not a number.... .it is a visual area where you lived????
    Our postcodes are for the whole town.

MrsPeel likes this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@A-M I think it is more about the memories from where you lived.
    @MrsPeel : I love BOTH your pages!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    MrsPeel and A-M like this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Can you guess what it was like where I grew up? These templates with all their stitching reminded me of a quilt. And yes, we had black dirt -- unlike the red clay that pretends to be dirt here in NC.
    [​IMG]

mcurtt, wvsandy and MrsPeel like this.
  14. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I chose to use postal code for my adolescent years and made my memories into a quilt. BTW it was a nice break to concentrate on a good memory instead of our current situation. I had a cry today as this was the day I was supposed to go to Paris and then I did this challenge and it made me feel so happy. Thanks
    [​IMG]

mcurtt, wvsandy, MrsPeel and 3 others like this.
  15. CarolynJoyce77

CarolynJoyce77 Snozberries? Who ever heard of a snozberry?!

16. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thanks Cynthia for this challenge

[​IMG]

MrsPeel, mcurtt and wvsandy like this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Thanks for the fun challenge, My Sister!! I made my quilt out of some of my favorite things from childhood.

[​IMG]

MrsPeel, mcurtt and wvsandy like this.
  18. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Gotta admit, this one had me scratching my head. I'm not good at random, and that seemed the direction things were going. I'm not good at fond childhood memories. I'm not good at combining unrelated stuff, like in crazy quilts. But I used to be a quilter, and have always enjoyed combining fabrics in similar colors but different patterns. Then I remembered that we haven't always had 5 (or 9)-digit ZIP Codes. This took me back to the first house my widowed mom and I lived in. What fun to play with all these papers (fabrics), alphas, and stitching. I even used the pen tool to make the journaling space (learned during the Advanced Challenge by NBK Designs this month). What started out as a challenge I wasn't sure I could even do, turned out to be something I love. Thanks Cynthia! As usual, you rock!
    [​IMG]
    Long list of credits: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/monthly-muse-challenge_04_wk-1_postalcodequilt.430561/

mcurtt, cinderella and wvsandy like this.
  19. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

As usual, I created an ATC for this challenge (maybe not the wisest choice!). I went to Google Maps and got the grid of streets near my old home in Columbus OH. I then created a "quilt" of this grid and put in items to represent my childhood. My house is actually in the third rectangle from the top right, so that is where I put the image of a house (overlapping two rectangles in the quilt). All of the other items are just within the quilt blocks, none matching where any of the events actually took place.
    [​IMG]

wvsandy and A-M like this.
  20. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member