Moms please help!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AmaG, Dec 29, 2016.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Each phase is different. Mine is 18, and he has once again begun to snuggle. He'll walk up to me and just hug me for no reason. But there was that time when he didn't want me near, so I'd try other tactics to keep him close, like sitting together on the couch to talk about his day. But the biggest thing I've ever done to keep him "close" is to always apologize when I've done something wrong. The fact that I fess up to my errors has made him realize that even though I may get mad, I'm always there for him.

jk703 likes this.
  2. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I have a 14 year old and, like Jan and Sokee described, he tends to do the "board" thing when I hug him. But I keep hugging him anyway. :D And as Maureen described, he does find other ways (whether he knows it or not) to show that he loves me. He reaches out and high fives me every morning as pass him on the way to the kitchen, he seeks me out to tell me things about his day or about sports or news, he asks me to play games with him, etc. I miss the 5 year old snuggles some but I do love having a teen boy.

Sokee likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

You got such great advice from everyone. I agree, as hard as it is to leave the stage where they love to be close, to cuddle and you are their whole world, it is also wonderful to see them grow and experience life and to be there to encourage and guide them.

4. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

I certainly hope you don't take my response as cold - it isnt I swear it!! I have 5 boys - - I get to love them up when they are little BUT my job is to raise them not to need me. Thats the sign of a good mom. When the kids can confidently roam the world alone :)

I don't want them to *need me when they are older - I want them to want me. There is a difference. I want them to desire to hang every now and then, come to me for advice etc on their own. When it comes from a place of desire it is just sooo good right? I get to live this now w my older 2. We meet for coffee and talk and talk. Its great stuff - its real.

So often we as moms think our kids need us to lay down with them or coddle - when the reality is, its us that want it. Its better for us to show them how to self soothe as that builds confidence. True stuff. I've launched 2 good eggs out - 3 still in the nest.

So just sip some cocoa today sister - and enjoy all this fun stuff while he's 5. I mea truly embrace all this 5 year old stuff!! Its awesome and it zips by faster than we all like