MOM! I'm Bored!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Trista, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

It's summer here. Aside from the 90F temps, it's been raining every day this week. :hissy We've been doing kid crafts and other indoor activities.
    Can you say cabin fever?
    Can you say stir crazy? :dizzy
    How many more days until school starts? :giggle

We needed some boredom busters - STAT!

The kids are constantly telling me that they are bored. I finally heard that little statement enough and fixed them with "I'm Bored Jars".

What do you do to entertain the kids when they are bored? I am open for any and all suggestions!

2. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

Ha - I'm a nasty mom! I tell my kids that is a "you" problem and not an "us" problem and that I'm not an entertainment director. :P Then I say if they can't find anything to do I'll give them stuff to do - weeding, mowing the grass, cleaning the playroom, putting away the laundry, etc. They always find something else to do, lol!

3. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

4. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

Yeah, I am also like Lori, when they say they are bored, I always tell them I am sorry, but I have lots of activities that they are welcome to do if they can't find anything else to do. (i.e. scrubbing baseboards, pulling weeds, etc.)

I like Lori's "that's a 'you' problem and not an 'us' problem" phrase too! :)

5. ledamperry

ledamperry Named by her crazy father

Ooh, I'm going to have to use that one!! I've got 4 and I love them dearly, but next week three of the four are leaving for summer camp and the other is working and going to school anyway...so it's almost kids-free for a whole week! It's going to be bliss around here... they will have a blast and for me the perfect amount of quiet to recharge and miss them :)

6. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Nothing like a good recharge! My kids and hubby have been gone for two days, leaving later to meet up with them, but it's been soooo nice to have this break. :D

7. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Mean mom award!

I have stacks of timed math sheets 100 problems on each page. My 5 year old, he has mastered his +1s, +2s and almost on +3s...bhhahah

8. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

Trista - that is such a fun blog post!! Love everyone else's suggestions too - I found a sheet that uses an acronym for bored for something for them to go do:
    B - Be creative
    O - Outside play
    R - Read a book
    E - Exercise
    D - Do something helpful

9. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Yep, totally put mine to work when they say they're bored.

However, sometimes giving them a solid chunk of your attention resets their own creativity. I also read out loud to my kids (even though they're 7 and 10), we play
    Board games, they write a paragraph summary very time they finish a book, they're both enrolled in an online summer math program, we do the $1 summer movies.

Summer can be long!

10. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I love all of these ideas!

I've made this chalk sidewalk paint recipe with my kids. Easy to make and fun to use. It's always a hit.
    [​IMG]

11. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

My children are still at the age that a little supervision is needed when it comes to entertainment and activities. I do throw in chores when the I'm bored starts getting tossed around.

Danielle, I like the acronym idea. All of those activities are in their jars. That sure is a clever use of the name of the jar.

Laura, the chalk paint is pinned on our board and on our to do list for next week. My kids are chalkies, and our driveway is their canvas, so this should be a hit.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  12. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

LOVE that acronym for Bored. I'm so going to use that!!! :)

Also, I think it's okay for them to be bored and then get creative with how they're going to solve that problem for themselves. I homeschool, so they're technically with me all the time, but the time we take off in the summer gets hard because it's unstructured and I'm not working too hard on making it structured because I need a break myself. We're trying to do some playdates with friends, trips to get frozen yogurt, summer movies, etc.

I just made this using Just Jaimee's Storyteller 2014...thanks for the idea!

[​IMG]

13. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

another vote for the acronym, lol. I have asked my kids repeatedly if they've read or played outside if they tell me they are bored! They are all 10+ though!

14. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Haha, this is fun!
    I have not yet heard this phrase, yay! :giggle Mine are 5 and 3 and they keep each other busy (and me).

Keep filling this thread please, I'll be watching and taking notes!

15. Keely~B

Keely~B Klicker That Just Klicks

That acronym is awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only "mean" mom. My kids are generally really good about entertaining themselves but they also learned early on that I don't believe in being bored. They never liked my suggestions LOL

16. AmyG

AmyG Member

That's no fun! Stuck inside on break, boo. Mine is 7 and I do the whole "I will find something for you to do and you will not like it" bit. She happily cleaned last time she came complaining of being bored! She must have been genuinely bored to *want* to dust and pick up toys LOL. Inside activities she likes...hmm, building forts is at the top of the list. Coloring, drawing, play doh and helping me bake are some other things we do.

I love this quote from Louis CK on boredom for my teenager, not so applicable to the young kids.

“I’m bored’ is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless; it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say ‘I’m bored.”

17. lauracw

lauracw Gets a funky high on yellow sun

Mine are little, but I feel like we've constantly got something going on. I wish we were bored, lol!! The library is a fun free activity if you've got cabin fever. Mine are 2 and 7 and currently they're gymnastics obsessed! We've been taking full advantage of the open gym times at our gym. It's a reduced price and an unstructured time they can bounce themselves silly on trampolines! You might see if there's something like that near you.

18. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

Hahaha...I tell my kids that only boring kids get bored. I'm with the "go read a book, go play outside" crowd. We just moved to a new neighbourhood, so I told them that they had to go outside and make new friends.
    But my kiddos are gone with their dad for the summer...7 1/2 weeks without them. It's a long long time...gonna miss them so much!!