MOC Day 10 Alpha Shape - suggestion

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2019' started by mrs2a50, Jan 10, 2019.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Hey all :) In reading some of the posts and seeing that some of you are struggling with how to do this challenge, let me just make a suggestion/provide some insight to the vision behind this challenge.

Instead of trying to create words/sentences with your alphas and cram that into a shape so the words can be read, think about using the alphas in a random order, without making words, and then cutting that into a shape. Kind of like a matting, or it's own element. So, similar to what Polly Elisa did here:

[​IMG]

I have not done my page for this challenge yet, but what I plan to do is create a 12x12 (because I scrap 12x12) layer of alphas in random order/placement, shadow them, and then merge them all into one layer. I will then choose a shape (heart, square, circle, arrow, whatever) and place that layer under my alpha layer. Finally, I will clip my alphas to my shape, and voila, I should have my alpha shape all ready to place on my page. Because they're random, it won't matter if some of the edges are cut off, and the entire shape will be filled with alphas.

Hopefully that will help some of you who are struggling. If you have questions, just holler. That's what we're here for! :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. tracymonica

tracymonica Well-Known Member

How do I merge the alpha's into a layer in PSE 2018?

cfile likes this.
  3. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

jk703 likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Merge two layers or groups/ PSE 2018
    1. Make sure that the layers and groups you want to merge are visible.
    2. Select the layers and groups you want to merge.
    3. Choose Layer > Merge Layers.
    I got it from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/layers.html

If that doesn't work, tag me, and I'll look further. :)

KellyM, tracymonica and cfile like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Tracy you can highlight all the alpha layers in the layer pallet and then if you right click with your mouse you should get a merge layers.

If the layers are together in the layer pallet, click on the bottom layer to select it, hold the shift key and then with your mouse click on the top layer of your alphas.. that will select them all and then right click and merge layers.

If the alphas are spread out with regular element layers in between click on each alpha layer in the layer pallet holding down the control key while clicking on each alpha layer. Then right click and merge layers.

I hope that answers your question. I am on my cell phone right now so I hope this makes sense! @mrs2a50

KellyM and tracymonica like this.
  6. Pachimac

Pachimac Shhhh! You're disturbing the books

I did the same thing except that I wrote out Love is and copy and pasted it all over a 12x12 page, flattened the image, and then clipped it to my shape.

cfile, KellyM, tracymonica and 2 others like this.
  7. tracymonica

Thank you all for you comments and instructions :) I will give a go and let you know if I have any questions :) I REALLY appreciate all the input :) Have a great day friends :)

jk703, cfile, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  8. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

@mrs2a50 thankyou for your thought process as it has helped me with what I am thinking of doing later today when I get home.

mrs2a50 and bestcee like this.
  9. AJK

AJK But I don’t want to go among mad people!

Yes. The clipping works whether you are doing a "readable" phrase or just random letters. :D

10. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Well-Known Member

My question is this:

When all alphas in a kit come on a single sheet, how do I get just one to use? I'm okay if there are individual PNG's for each letter but when there is just one sheet I am lost.

11. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

What software do you use? In Artisan, you can cut the individual letters out of the sheet.

12. tracymonica

I just wanted to thank all you lovely people again and let you know that I just completed and posted my page using the merging and clipping technique :)

13. Pachimac

Pachimac Shhhh! You're disturbing the books

You take the selection tool and isolate just the letter you want with the marching ants. Then copy it and paste into a new layer.

bellbird and bestcee like this.
  14. Firstoscartgrouch

Affinity Photo for iPad

15. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

I see there are tutorials for the selection tool. Is that available on the iPad? Using the selection tool, you can select one letter and cut it out onto another layer.

bellbird likes this.
  16. Firstoscartgrouch

I’ve tried following along to a few but just can’t seem to easily and quickly get single letters. Is it that difficult in PS? I won’t buy alphas unless I know they are individual letters. It’s just so time consuming otherwise.

17. cfile

I do it very easily with PS and PSE.. I just use the rectangle marquee tool and draw a rectangle around the letter.
    I have done a screen shot for you, using an exmple of Mommyish's You Are Fierce Alpha2 (NL Freebie ) that had been in her newsletter from March 2, 2017
    folder.jpg

"With your full page alpha layer highlighted, draw a rectangle around the letter you want seperated. Go up to the top tool bar. Choose NEW and then Layer via copy. That will put the letter on a new layer. Do that for each letter you want and then you can close/remove the full alpha sheet from the layer panel and you will have your individual letters. Designers will do this sometimes to save on File size." Hope this helps:
    seperate alpha.JPG

Christa

18. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I think most designers have the alphas all individual PNG files. Sometimes you may come across some that have the full sheet as well as the individual letters.

cfile likes this.
  19. cfile

Anne-Marie, Thank you for noting that.. I agree .. very few designers do sheets anymore. At least if there are sheets it is not that difficult to split out.

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife I just like to go fast and wear helmets

@Firstoscartgrouch I used to have an old action that would split all the alphas from those sheets but I don't think that would work on an iPad anyhow. I don't know who else here is a regular iPad scrapper. @cfile

cfile likes this.