MID MOC Check-in and Challenge HELP!!

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges FIVE - 2017' started by mimisgirl, Jan 16, 2017.

1. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

Well Hello Lovelies.

We are just about dead center in the middle of MOC 5! How are you all doing?

One of the things I like about MOC is that it pushes me past my comfort zone and forces me to try things I would not otherwise try. That being said, it can be really HARD sometimes.

This year my biggest issues is TIME. Past years, my hubby has generously taken over some of my chores so I could play along, (he knows how much I love this) but this year he just can't - PhD student and all . . . which I was OK with, but then on Thursday my 4 yr old came down with a fever - so I have not been able to scrap AT ALL since. Talk about falling behind.

What is your biggest Struggle this year? Is it a specific Challenge you just can't get your head around? Getting the TIME or finding the RIGHT PHOTOS or SUPPLIES? Let us know what you are struggling with most.

You know what else I LOVE about The Lilypad? How this community is all about encouraging and lifting each other up. So, lets do something for each other while we are here - lets help each other out!!!

As you are reading what other people post, if you have an idea you can offer to help them, post a reply and tag them using the @ before their screen name. For example, maybe SOMEONE (no names or anything) can't figure out how to keep their feverish four year old happy and calm long enough to make a page here or there. If you have an idea that might help you could offer it here! :agree

Or maybe if someone is struggling with say . . . Challenge 6: The Inspiration Challenge, but you have already breezed past that on, you could offer an idea of how you went about jumping into that one.

And I know, there are somethings that we just can't help each other with at all. Family members passing away, being laid off work, etc. but we can offer LOVE and Encouragement to each other in those hard times - but then, you all already know that don't you?!?!

So lets share the love today and get a positive start on this second half of MOC. :cheer

2. mimisgirl

And I am happy to go - HOW DID you guys get going on the Inspiration Challenge?

I have so many ideas, and here is so much inspiration, but I am struggling to pull them all together. I am thinking I might need to pull out a pen and paper and write things down - along with product ideas - to keep me going in the right direction. I often get into a page and loose track of what I was supposed to be doing - especially if there is more than ONE thing to keep in mind, lol. Anyone else have that problem?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

For that... I looked at it, and wrote 7 things that popped out at me. Then I tried to scrap with those things in mind. It's a tough inspiration board, ONLY because there is a load of inspiration crammed in there! So, you need to sort of prevent yourself from getting overwhelmed. At least for me, that worked.

Mine was: Colors, Type Font, Faces, Camera, Tag

I'm stuck on two layouts that should be simple... Clean and Simple, and the Blind Scrap. I hope to work on those tonight. Then I can move forward again! :)

mimisgirl and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@mimisgirl I totally had that problem with that challenge. I decided on the things I want to focus on and wrote them down and crossed them off my list while scrapping. That isn't a very conducive method to creative scrapping in my book but I didn't have a choice. I otherwise would have forgotten some of the things I needed to incorporate. Can't say that layout is my best ever, but it will do.

The worst challenge for me was the One word - explore challenge. I ended up loving my layout but only because I slept over it and got behind. I was about to skip it altogether but then an idea came to me while browsing my photos. If I have no ideas I always put it to the side and let it rest. Usually something will come up that I can work with then.

Sorry, I cannot help about the feverish 4-year-old. Hopefully he will feel better soon. Sometimes you just have to wait it out, I'm afraid.

5. Pallavi01

Pallavi01 You have that sharp, useless look about you

In terms of challenge - my biggest hurdle is going to be next week when we will move into our place - we are in middle of a huge move, we moved from Mexico to U.K. And are currently in the temporary corporate housing. It has its faults but the internet works! Yay!! :) but later this week or early next , we will move into our own place - with no Internet set up - that's when it will be supremely challenging for me to keep up!

In terms of inspiration challenge - I did what some of the others did - jotted down the first 6 things that stood out to me and tried to work on a page incorporating them one by one.

I'm 3 behind right now and am hoping to catch up on those at least before the move.

jesskab, bestcee, mimisgirl and 2 others like this.
  6. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

I have managed to keep up so far. But having said that, I have 2 layouts that I am really not happy with. But that happens every year. I'm thinking its maybe because I scrap quicker in MOC? Anyway, I am loving it and all set for tomorrow's challenge :bunny

7. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

@Pallavi01 Where in the UK are you? I am on the south coast near Chichester :)

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

First I started writing down a few ideas of things that caught my eye that I thought I'd like to incorporate in a layout. Then I got busy with my day and thought about it awhile but waited to start longer than I had for any other page so far. Finally, I attended the speed scrap that evening, where every step was inspired by the inspiration board! It feels kind of like cheating. :D The speed scrap directions are still listed in the forum here. If I hadn't been guided by the speed scrap, I think I could have made a good layout with the ideas I'd begun writing down myself. I already had 4 or 5 before the speed scrap. I liked the ones in the speed scrap better than mine though. :)

9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I did the same thing with the inspiration one too. Just jotted down things that popped out.

I'm caught up right now, and I haven't had any real issues with any of them yet.
    But I know you all can do it.
    [​IMG]

jesskab and mimisgirl like this.
  10. chai

chai Love to make a racket!

I'll be out of town for several days and it will be hard to make up that time. At least I am mostly caught up now.

Here's my big question and I'd be happy to get some input:

For the challenge, do you start with the template, the page kit or the photo? I've done a little of each but sometimes I get stuck in the process. For example, for one of the challenges, I knew that I had the perfect photos and I stuck them in a template but then I couldn't find a current page kit that I liked for it. I had to start over.

Another time, I tried starting with the page kit and then choosing a photo and a template but in the end completely switched over to another page kit.

I've also found the perfect kit and it was retired!

What do you do?

mimisgirl likes this.
  11. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

@mimisgirl - I don't remember how I did the inspiration challenge, but what I do remember is that I nearly didn't post the page, thinking it wasn't good enough. Then I got lots of encouragement. So just -- make what you want!

mimisgirl likes this.
  12. tlcd1961

tlcd1961 Well-Known Member

This one was really backward for me! I love the bricks, so I put the bricks in the middle of the layout and added a background paper. One I was there, it looked very masculine and grungy to me. So then I went flying through my pictures to find something that fit the background that I created and would work with the typewriter keys from Paula Kesselring. I finally found the pictures from last year where my husband and 2 sons were working on the car.

mimisgirl likes this.
  13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am trying to use all the challenges in my 2016 album, so I pick the photo(s) first. If the next page in my chronological album works for the challenge, then I do it. But some times I have had to look ahead, like today's challenge is to use photos that tell a story. The next 2 sets of photos I should use do not tell a story, so I need to skip ahead until I find a set that does. I have also started on my 2017 album since those pics worked for 2 challenges.

Long answer to say, I almost always start with the photo if one is needed.

mimisgirl and sberkan like this.
  14. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Yes, I think, as an art journaler, I often start with the main image. Which may then vanish as the piece evolves, but it gets me started.

mimisgirl and BevG like this.
  15. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

We are over halfway through, people! There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

[​IMG]

We've got this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So let's set our eyes on the prize and finish things up in style.

[​IMG]

And when it's all over, we'll be like this:

[​IMG]

Jan, bestcee, EHStudios and 3 others like this.
  16. mimisgirl

I know what you mean, sometimes i put the "easy" ones aside to work on the "harder" ones and then get stuck, lol. Funny brain!

You got those thought - I know you do!

jk703 likes this.
  17. mimisgirl

@Pallavi01 I hear you - those moves can be rough - but you got this!
    @michelepixels Thanks - I had not linked those instructions - good to know :)

@chai for me it depends on a lot of things. Sometimes if the kit is perfect for something I start with that - or if i really like a kit I will change my photos (to B&W or whatever) to match the kit. Usually if I use a template I choose that last depending on how many photos I need.
    @LoveItScrapIt @gwtwred Thanks for the encouragement

Keep em coming guys! I LOVE hearing what everyone has to say.

michelepixels likes this.
  18. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

I'm sorry your kiddo got sick :( It seems like everyone is getting sick right now. I hope it goes away from your family and stays away! <3

I'm going to start making dinner, but I'll come back and read the other comments to see if I can say how I got through challenges or issues. Currently I'm caught up and finding this year's MOC to be fairly easy for me. Last year blocked me, scrapwise for several months. But I also had a gazillion things happening last year, and MOC was just something else interfering. This year, outside of homeschooling and potty-training, I've been able to keep on track! I'm quite pleased with myself and really think I can get through the rest of the month!

mimisgirl and bestcee like this.
  19. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

shhhh.... I admit that I kinda did this challenge backwards. I was inspired by a couple of things and then found products that I wanted to scrap with that worked with the board. Then I looked backed through my layout and compared it to the inspiration board and to make sure I had at least 5 inspired things. I actually ended up with more than 5, but only listed the required 5.

mimisgirl likes this.
  20. elk2009

elk2009 Hello, gorgeous

most of the time I try to find photos that fit the challenge and then a current kit... but I can float and totally change that

mimisgirl likes this.