Meatloaf | Pad Patter 10.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 18, 2020.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I never liked meatloaf growing up and fortunately rarely had it. DH#1 did like it but I rarely made it in the England years and afterwards we didn't eat that much beef at all in the later countries. In England I made beef Shepherd's Pie more often which is just a soupy meatloaf imho. He liked it as did my two boys. I was so so about it.

I now make it for dh #2 who love love loves it. He also likes spice in his food so this gets a good tbs of NM Hatch chile powder @AnneofAlamo and a salsa or sofrito instead of the tomato soup. Here's the basic recipe I use though and I also sub bread crumbs I've dried myself and frozen or in a pinch bought dried bread crumbs.

World's Best Meatloaf via SharonCB @ GardenWeb

1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs - (tear up soft sliced bread - don't use fine crumbs as for breading)
    1 1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork & beef) (about 700 grams)
    1 beaten egg
    1 onion chopped fine
    1/4 teasp dry Colman's (or similar) mustard
    1/8 teasp ground sage
    1/2 teasp ground thyme
    1 1/2 teasp salt
    1/4 teasp pepper
    1/8 teasp nutmeg
    1 chopped green pepper (not likely for me)
    1 tin condensed tomato soup (eg Campbells's) Sharon suggests using Sofrito instead
    3/4 cup grated celery
    3/4 cup grated carrot

1) Mix meat with egg, add onion and seasonings and bread crumbs, greens and carrots
    2) Add half the tin of soup and mix everything well. Turn into greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 x 2.5 inches and pour remaining soup over the top, smoothing it evenly over all.
    3) Bake 350 F (177 C) for 1 1/4 hours.

I like this because it can be made in the larger pan for square portions or in two loaf pans.

Christina W likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I use ground chuck for my meat. If I can't find it I will use lean ground beef. For my filler, I use cracker meal. Add a dash of salt, 1 egg and a can of vegetable soup and I'm good to go.

3. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

Haha - I remember my Mom's famous salmon jello mold back in the 70s: she had a special pan for it so that it came out shaped like a fish, and she used sliced almonds to make the scales. Fancy!

Amson, tinkerbell1112 and Memaw2Wm like this.
  4. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie - there are some textural resemblances. Best not to think about it :)!

Dalis likes this.
  5. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Oh yes, the copper salmon pans. We had it and a couple others (maybe a pineapple) hanging on the kitchen wall for years.

Christina W likes this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG... thanks for the re-affirmance that I am not going crazy! btw. LOVE LOVE LOVE your siggy.

Christina W likes this.
  7. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

So glad Puerto Rico didn't do this because I don't think if I could have survived salmon and jello together! I do love salmon and tuna and jello but all separate and NEVER EVER touching.

Christina W likes this.
  8. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

love meatloaf and I used to make it all the time until I lost my favorite recipe which was like a bbq/brown sugar topping. :( I've never been able to live up to it again. haha.

9. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

LOVE shepherd's pie!!!!!!!!!!

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I had a copper salmon mold too and used to make a fish/shrimp mousse for parties a lot. I lived in lots of places where fish/seafood was more common than beef. (btw, oiling the mold is how you got the mousse out easily! just in case some young cook wants to give it a go...)

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this sounds awesome

jk703 likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

ours i guess is a meat and veggie loaf & we usually have mashed sweet poato&potato & peas with it - it has grated zucchini and carrots and chopped capsicum (red peppers) as well as onions in it and is half chicken and half beef mince (ground meat); bread crumbs &/or quinoa &/or semolina to add bulk and an egg to bind it (i can't imagine it with milk in it?!) as well as half a jar of pasta sauce/tomato sauce - sometimes we have it with gravox style gravy but otherwise, normal tomato sauce (like ketchup) or BBQ sauce

13. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Well.... I do not like meatloaf too much I will make and eat it if it’s requested. But I make Swedish meatballs alot and love those! I use the McCormick package but haven’t been able to find them in the stores with Covid!!! Boo hoo!