May I scream??? AAGGGHHHH!!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by NancyP, Feb 5, 2019.

1. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

You all know how I HATE anything technical! Well day before yesterday, I came home, turned on my computer only to have it tell me I have no internet connection. No big deal----I called Spectrum. After holding and then going through three different people, I was told that someone would call me back in 15-20 minutes. OK, so I waited-----and waited----and (well, you get the picture!). Finally, four hours later I called again. Same procedure, same answer, someone would call me back in 15-20 minutes. So, the next day (yesterday) went through the same thing twice!! After someone again told me that I would get a call i 15-20 minutes, I told her "yeah, and the sky is made of pink marshmallow!!!" Can you tell I was frustrated???? :banghead
    SO----I got mad and started pushing buttons!! I mean I pushed every button I could find. I pushed buttons on the NetGear box (the box that connects the internet), I pushed buttons on my computer, and for whatever reason, I pushed the Google Chrome button and WALAAAA!! I was connected!!!!! :clap Before that, whenever I pushed the Chrome button, it would just tell me I had no internet connection. Have NO idea what I did or which button did the trick!! So---another two hours later, guess what? I FINALLY got a call back!!! After TWO days!!! No---I will NOT reveal what was said with that conversation!!!! :blush

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I can only imagine, love the pink marshmallow comment though.
    there is nothing quite as frustrating as poor customer service.
    [​IMG]
    Glad that you discovered how to fix it and that you are re-connected.

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lol! Pink marshmallow :giggle Sorry you had to go through the frustration, but good for you for pushing buttons and getting it to work on your own!

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I hate this tech services too!!last week I had to go to the internet company because I discovered that I was paying more than I had to...the lady said I need to call them and ask for the instructions for getting back the $. But I went there to solve this situation, how come I can only do this by phone??? well, I know it'll be a huge headache for me...*sigh*.

MrsPeel likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Good on ya for figuring it out!

MrsPeel likes this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

we had that issue with Cox Cable and when they jacked up the price again without our knowledge (5 years ago) we said the heck with this... called FIOS and got the bundle with all the movie channels we had with cable plus internet and phone... when we went to bring back the cable box and cancel service with cox, they wanted to drop our rate to keep us... we said why do we have to complain? You raised us without our knowledge and now warning and now you want to drop the rate to keep us? Nope no thank you.. we had had them (Cox Cable) for 15 years.. their stupidity cost them a loyal customer, but we are still 5 years later still lower with FIOS bundle then we were with Cable.. these companies need to realize there is more than their company for us to spend our money.. glad you are fixed Nancy.. I would check to see if there are other internet services in your area that you can use. Hugs :)

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Oh my gosh!! Hate stuff like that! I feel like I'd be freaking out, and it would be even worse because my kids would be asking me every 2 minutes when it would be fixed LOL. Glad the "mystery button" did the trick for you!!

MrsPeel likes this.
  8. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Punching buttons is the advice my son gave me once, and it worked! I'm going to have to remember the Pink Marshmallow bit, too. Sweet sarcasm! lol!

bestcee and MrsPeel like this.
  9. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

that would have been ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

my dear, you were patient, and quiet nice.... I tend to apologyze to them and explain is not them, I know maybe they are paid very little money to stand crazy old bats like me BUT.....then I shout and demand. And the pink Marshmallow is soooooooo cute!!!!!!!!! my thing is more like " excuse my French" and then a string of non sharable words LOL

They do it here too, some companies.... it is to discourage some, because if you have to make a trip, organize, maybe some people are far and the price of getting there makes you leave it for next day and so.....
    My energy company got away with charging me an extra £700 in a year.... some people who complained and had the sense of looking at the bills took them to court and got some money back... unfortunately I only saw it after the court case was done..... :( my dad would say the world is in permanent state of the Argentine tango, especially Cambalache kkkkkkkk

I did that a couple of times, called them to lower our price, first time, years and years ago, they made me get through 7 or 8 people until they did.
    Last time they did;'t so much because on 23014 I left the TV service and went from them (Virgin) to Sky.... but these days I'm seeing that every company is charging more or less the same A LOT.... :(

Nancy you are a dear LOVE YOU and glad you punched buttons luckily!!!!!!!!!!!

Ferdy and cfile like this.
  10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I always get the one tech person who has the gall to ask if I have restarted. Yes, I am a female, but I am NOT an idiot. I usually TRY to fix something myself before I call for help. Good for you for fixing it- whatever it may have been! ;) ;)

Ferdy likes this.
  11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We love Sky channel 4.. :) I am glad we can watch my UK shows I like on Your tube that someone recorded from SKY :)

MrsPeel likes this.
  13. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Channel 4 is amazing!!!!

14. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

We've been frustrated with Spectrum ever since they took over down here - what I wouldn't give for a decent alternative. Good for you for figuring it out - that feeling of accomplishment is always a treat.

15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I hardly ever call them as I don't have the patience. My dh will. Best advice, turn off the router (your Netgear), turn off the modem (if separate box), wait a couple minutes, turn on modem, wait for signal lights to come on, turn on the router, and wait for the Internet light to come on.

I like the Netgear router I have now. The TP Link router we had prior included a step where you had to cross your fingers & hold your mouth right and maybe it would work. Working with it was a royal pain. I will never own that brand again.

Of course, now my laptop wifi card is being weird and I have to reset it almost every single time it wakes up from being in sleep mode, but at least I know how to do that.

Now if I could fix my dryer, all would be well.... It decided to stop drying things in the middle of a load yesterday.

16. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Cheryl!! It's a good thing I had just swallowed my coffee before I saw this!!! I am STILL laughing!!! You are too much, girlfriend!!!! I think I will copy this, print it out, and send it to the CEO of Spectrum!!!

Yep, they just should have left it with Charter. I really liked the service I got from Charter, but ever since Spectrum took over, the service STINKS!!!!

Yep, that's what I did. Turned everything off, and then just started turning things on, and there it was----I had internet!!!! Those buttons on NetGear were fun!!! All those pretty green lights kept going on and off.

17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm with a small local internet/tv/phone company that has an office right here in town. I refuse to call them, I just go to the office and they try to tell me I need to call. I tell them, no, I need to talk to them in person as I am hard of hearing on the telephone and have a hard time communicating with people.

That being said, last year I lost my internet at noon on Saturday of Super Bowl weekend. I did all the turn off/turn on of everything and it was dead. I had been having issues off and on so I figured it was the modem which I could not get a new one until Monday when the office was open. Got a new modem on Monday, it connected right away. Thought I was golden. Darn internet went out on Friday afternoon. I went to the office right away and complained because it was a brand new modem and demanded a service call that afternoon. Tech showed up about 3:45. He is an awesome guy and listens to you! I told him everything. He tested the modem -- no problems there. He then checked the connections in the basement -- no problems there either (although I do need to get my cable splits updated... he said he'll do it when the basement is cleaned out). So he checked the outside connection. It tested fine but there was still no internet. So he followed the line down the poles. Had to take a ladder and climb up each pole to check. 2nd pole he looked at... the cover of the wire had been chewed completely through and since we had snow/ice that week and the temps were mild that day, all the water was going onto the wire! He replaced the wire and since a ladder truck was needed to string the new wire between poles, he couldn't finish the work that day. So my wire was laying on the ground. 2 months later they finally got the wire up on the poles after me visiting the office every 2 weeks complaining about it. The day after they got it, my neighbor that mows for me mowed my grass. When they put the wire up, the grass was grown over it in many places.

In December I was having some issues again. This time I called the local office instead of the 800 number (I was post surgery and not going out much). They tried to pass me off and I said no, just take the report and get a tech out here. Mr Awesome came out that day. He couldn't find a reason why it was constantly dropping and reconnecting so he just put in a new modem and hooked up my new router for me while he was here. I still had issues for several days and after some googling, I tried some things with my computer and it has been ok since then. But when whether gets wet out, it starts doing it again. Since the basement is close to being gutted, I'm holding out to call and will have them check the internet and if it is Mr Awesome that comes, he'll change rewire the cable connections for me at the same time. I am suspecting that my internet problem is something in the outside line again and since I'm the last person on the line, I'm probably the only one affected.

(WOW I wrote a novel!)

bestcee likes this.
  18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Don't even get me started on wifi! For those of you who've
    You GO girl!!! Push those buttons!!! Ain't technology wonderful??? Love the pink marshmallow sky. Hopefully, that fixed your problem (not the sky - the pushing buttons.)

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

no wonder you wanted to scream - your story pretty much made me want to scream - waiting for call backs is always a pain - i'm glad you gave them an ear full when you finally got called back!

20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I assume you have the latest firmware update? (Because I'm a nice person like that.) Two things you can try that I used to do to help people troubleshoot when I worked for people:
    1. Disable the power management for it. I've personally had to do this before for USB drivers. Basically tell windows not to put it to sleep.
    2. Try deleting and running the set up again for the card.