May 2022 - Week Four Monthly Muse

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by ArmyGrl, May 24, 2022.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Welcome to the May Monthly Muse Week – 4.

[​IMG]
    Wassily Kandinsky - Color Study 1913

For the month of May we explored senses with a twist – synesthesia. For week four I’d like for us to do one of three things…

1. Continue to explore senses as we have. Pick a sense, then image you have synesthesia. Art journal about your experience. For example, in week one, as I felt the sun on my skin, I imagined what this sun tasted like. For week two, as I listened to the wind, I imagined what this wind looked like. And in week three as I tasted wine, I imagined what this wine looked like.

-or-

2. If you have been following along and creating layouts this month, you may want to develop a layout that describes your overarching experience this month. Did you learn something new about yourself? Many shared unique experiences or senses . . . how did that feel? I got the impression some felt timid or a bit embarrassed to share. There was vulnerability. Maybe as you explored senses, you learned something new about science or human physiology.

-or-

3. If you have been following along but have not created a layout yet, perhaps develop a layout that describes what barriers were experienced. This is an opportunity to art journal about you. What are your likes or dislikes? What resonates with you? Some felt their thinking patterns were too literal to participate. That can lead to an art journal page about creativity – and your approach to art.

For week four, I wanted to listen to music and develop an art journal page about color – how do the notes and sounds translate into color? But as often happens with me, a thought pattern leads to a bit of research and the research opens a Pandoras Box or Rabbit Hole of possibilities. And I now find myself ill equipped or not ready to make the layout I’d like to make. Some interesting research though . . .

Early philosophers such as Aristotle (350 B.C.) attempted to describe and relate color, sound and even taste. Aristotle “. . . the harmony of colors are like the harmony of sound.”

Aristotle in Sense and Sensibilia:
    Flavor Color
    Sweet White
    Fat Yellow
    Tangy Purple-red
    Sour Violet
    Sharp Green
    Salty Blue
    Bitter Black

But it was Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century that played with prisms and split white light into ROYGBIV. Newton also related the seven colors with the seven notes of the musical scale (but this was purely subjective).

Fast forward to now, if one “googles” light and sound waves, they may land at a quantum physics YouTube video (at least I did). Hence, my Pandora’s Box/Rabbit Hole issue. History, philosophy, and science are so cool! For me, art is an expression of my physical and mental world, thus art ties together history, philosophy, and science.

So, my layout for week 4 falls into the #2 category – what did I learn this month while exploring synesthesia combined with #3 – what am I learning (or recognizing) about myself and my creative approach.

[​IMG]

Recap of week 4: Create a layout that either

- Continues to explore synesthesia – or –

- Is about your overarching experience to this month’s Muse – or –

-Is an “all about me layout” that focuses on your creative process.

Challenge Requirements:

1. For the Monthly Muse, you may create any style of layout (i.e., clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.), with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. The Art Muse is for everyone; have FUN!

2. You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

3. Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE by Midnight, 30 May 2022; and post your layout in this thread by copying the "Share BB Code" to the right of your gallery image.

Each post, regardless of the week posted in the month of May earns you one chance to win a $5 coupon to the TLP store. Thus,

1 Muse = 1 chance to win
    2 Muses = 2 chances to win
    3 Muses = 3 chances to win
    4 Muses = 4 chances to win

And for a bit of inspiration - Disney's Fantasia is all about creating art/animation set to classical music. There is no other plot.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  2. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

@ArmyGrl Just wanted to say: I might not do another layout for this month's muse, but I want you to know, I love your brain! I have spent so much time thinking about these challenges. As I said the first week, I see my brain as very literal, but I've really been "bending" my thoughts this month. Thank you for the challenge to widen my mind! I hope to be able to create one layout about this.

3. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

OH whew...you really know how to make us think!!! I want you to challenge us...and this one is going to take a bit longer than one sitting to get this one.

I wonder if other people have this problem:

I can think of so many things to scrap about, but I can't find an element or picture of what I want to use. OR I just don't know how to translate into art what my mind is thinking!! It was really hard to do the last week because none of the kits really worked for my premise: That the smell of beets taste like laundry. SO...I wasn't AS happy with my page as I could have been. had I had the tools to say what I wanted to say. If this is the case for you, how do you overcome that? Or do you just do what I do - skip it, or just try to find something that is close to what you meant?

4. ArmyGrl

Thank you for joining us this month! I am the creator of the prompt(s) this month and I too struggled a bit with wanting to do literal interpretations rather than get out of the box with creativity. I learned quite a bit this month, though, about human senses and natural phenomenon - and I still want to translate sound into color. But I realized I don't recognize the sound of individual notes and that produces a barrier to what I want to create. Anyways...I thank you for following along!

5. ArmyGrl

I run into that issue too - needing an element but not finding it. For me it was peppers, no peppers in my TLP stash - but I did find word art with "pepper" in it and ran with that. So, when I don't have what I need, I try to substitute with something that represents what I'm going for.

AJK likes this.
  6. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I was inspired by your reference to color and I just happen to love this paper from Gina Miller, so I combined 5 senses with 5 colors.
    [​IMG]

7. tanteva

OH, I recognize this. So many layout ideas that I never finished, because I had an image in my head how I wanted the layout to look, and then I didn't have the right element. Or, all the times I have spent more time looking through my stash for The Right Element, than the time spent on making the layout.

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I did an "all about me" page. I finally feel like I'm where I belong.

[​IMG]

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

10. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I spent a long time on this, and I finally came to the conclusion that these art journaling challenges are doing exactly what they are meaning to do: stretch me. So, I scrapped that feeling and the only pictures I could find for my "before" was me in curlers - representing me "getting ready to grow", and the picture on top represents me growing and changing.

[​IMG]

tanteva likes this.
  11. tanteva

So, I started out thinking about what colors sounds have, and then went on to think about what colors different song had. Ended up closing in on Beatles' songs ... and here's my Beatles Rainbow:

[​IMG]

Smwhite likes this.