March Book Club: The Lake House

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Feb 29, 2016.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just brought my copy home from the library. I looked for a family tree for you, and I don't see one. I look forward to starting it myself now!

bellbird likes this.
  2. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I think seeing the names definitely helps keep things straight.. Could be because I'm a visual learner, but I've always had trouble following audio books as I'm not as engaged compared to reading. I made it about halfway before I had to turn it back in a few weeks ago, and just got the notice my re-requested copy is available.. Still finishing up Ready Player One then I'll dive back in here.

3. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I just finished it!!!! This is HUGE for me since the January book took me two months for some reason (I think I was just out of the reading habit). Now to go back and finish Ready Player One so I'm truly caught up with book club reading.

crystalbella77 and jk703 like this.
  4. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@jk703 Yes we do have a lending library here, but it is years since I used it, because the new books are never available , far to long waiting lists ,and as far as I know they do not do electronic ones. But I might have to try to use it again. I bought the other two . I don't mind if I think I will like them , but I didn't much, so I am vary of spending on this too .The Kindle library I can not ( as far as I know ) use because I am not a prime member . ( prime is not worth it in Malta because 95 % of the time postage is still not free to Malta,-that is if they even post to Malta, and some don't.The films we are not allowed to screen because we are outside UK ( still cant even see the ones on the kindle ).
    Never mind There is always next month. In the second hand shop where I volunteer we have The house at riverton , and another of hers, so I will read one of them.

Lindzee likes this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Aha, Vivi! I get it. I didn't know what was or was't available to you. I haven't been inside my library in quite some time. I actually think I have to go to our new library, and sign up, since we moved.

6. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I'm about half way through now. It's definitely getting more interesting.

crystalbella77 and jk703 like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I cannot get into this one. I've been trying for weeks. Lol. I've read others by this same author and have had the same problem getting started with that back and forth between time periods and figuring out names etc. I've always enjoyed the books once i get going... but I'm struggling. I will persevere!

crystalbella77 and bellbird like this.
  8. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I love Agatha Christie, her books are shorter and get to the point quicker... Lol

9. DeniseB817

DeniseB817 Member

I just downloaded it from Audible and will be starting tomorrow

crystalbella77 and KarenW like this.
  10. Tiff

I'm enjoying the story in general but have developed a pet peeve. The author has repeatedly revealed information to the characters in the story without revealing that information to the reader. For xxample, the reader is told that Character A tells Character B important information, but the content of that conversation isn't given. Or Character C is shocked by something she reads in a journal, but the reader doesn't get to know (yet) what the shocking thing is.

It didn't really bother me the first time, but it keeps happening over and over. It seems to unnecessarily draw it out. Maybe she gets paid by the word? I've started skimming long paragraphs.

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm a few chapters in and feel it's going slowly, like someone said, I think, there's a lot of description. I've just finished the speed scrap. I'm going to go to bed and read until I fall asleep. Good night!

12. Tiff

I finished today!

crystalbella77 likes this.
  13. Tiff

That's exactly how I felt about it. I enjoyed the central story/mystery in this book, but there seemed to be way too much jumping around and just ... extra stuff ... that didn't really add to the central story line.

I did eventually settle in to a pretty good familiarity with the names. At least it wasn't like Wuthering Heights where you literally had multiple characters with the same names!

Lindzee likes this.
  14. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

My held copy from the library came in!!!!

tinkerbell1112 likes this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This was me...too much fluff, lol! As I got further, I could keep people and places straight.

Lindzee likes this.
  16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

ok i'm finished - even with 2hrs to go i was thinking 'come on already!' but the last 1hr was good, glad everything got tied up - hate to have gotten through all that only to have half a dozen loose ends...
    now i can scrap this months challenges :)

Karen likes this.
  17. Tiff

Well, I won't try to post too many SPOILERS, but I'm anxious for a little discussion. So I thought I would share a couple of guesses I had that DIDN'T pan out in the end.

1. There was a part of me that expected (hoped?) they would never know what happened to Theo, and there would be some indication that he ventured into a secret land through a mysterious door, just like Eleanor did in the children's book. I guess I should have known better, that this story was to be rooted in "reality."

2. I was harboring a suspicion that Sadie's partner was not all together being honest with her. I guess the story never really did say explicitly how all that ended up, but I thought it was weird that he kept telling her to stay away.

Karen, weaselwatchr and Lindzee like this.
  18. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I think that was how she "developed" the mystery. It bothered me too. I wanted to say "ok, already. Give us the clues so we can decide. You're not stumping us, just not informing us; making this way longer for no entertaining reason... "

19. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

So sorry. Does anyone know if you can share books or lend books from your kindle. I read so fast I always have a ton of stuff I finish. When I did "actual" books I had a book plate which claimed the book was wild and once I finished I would leave on the train or whatever. Sometimes just giving to someone at work. We also used to have a bookshelf of "free used books" where we could leave stuff. I so miss that. If anyone knows a way to do that electronically pls let me know.

20. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

This can't be done due to DRM (digital rights management)

Lindzee likes this.