Mandatory Books | Pad Patter 9.2

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Sep 2, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We've been taking a lot about books around our house. We've been working on reading authors with varying backgrounds and experiences. We've also been working on encouraging Munchkin to read non-graphic novels once in awhile. He's still of an age that he gets to pick his books, they aren't assigned by the school. With three generations in the house now, and two different school countries, we started talking about what books we were required to read in school. And of course, then we started talking about what books we would recommend to be read in schools.

All of which led to my question for today:

If you could choose one book as a mandatory book what would it be?
    For Secondary School/High School (grade 9-12)?
    For Primary/Elementary (grade 1-5)?
    For Junior/Middle (grade 6-8)?

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

To Kill a Mockingbird and/or Death of Salesman - Secondary / High School
    Harry Potter Sourcers Stone - Elementary
    Old Yeller or Tom Sawyer / Huck Finn - Junior/Middle

bestcee likes this.
  3. bestcee

@cfile To Kill a Mockingbird and Old Yeller & Tom Sawyer were mandatory reads for me. I don't recall which grades, but I know I had to read them. I cried at Old Yeller.

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

I know me too.. loved them all

bestcee likes this.
  5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Oliver twist 8 to 12 year old. The 39 steps, and Animal farm, for 12 to 16 year old. A dolls house (play by Ibsen) and A tale of two cities (unabridged ) high school I think all were required reading once upon a time.

cfile likes this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Just for fun younger readers : The golden compass, Emil from lønneberg, pippi longstocking....

cfile likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

If you could choose one book as a mandatory book what would it be?
    For Secondary School/High School (grade 9-12)? The Great Gatsby
    For Primary/Elementary (grade 1-5)? Island of the Blue Dolphins (more for 4th/5th)
    For Junior/Middle (grade 6-8)? The Outsiders

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

Oh I love the Outsiders.. I forgot about that one.. Scarlet Letter too but I did not like that one

gonewiththewind likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

For Secondary School/High School (grade 9-12)? I second Animal Farm or Lord of the Flies
    For Primary/Elementary (grade 1-5)? For upper elementary, I'd have to say Wonder
    For Junior/Middle (grade 6-8)? I second The Outsiders

10. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Elementary - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
    Middle School - The Hobbit
    High School - Animal Farm or Fahrenheit 451

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I created my own list for my kids and was tracking it for awhile. It has 150+ books on it. hee hee I think there are a few I have not read yet. I will have to think about which ones I would pick for a single title per age group.

12. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Island of the Blue Dolphin was one of my favorite books BITD. I gave it as a gift to a lot of young girls over the years.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I was homeschooled and I don't remember any that my mom made me read. But I did read many of the ones mentioned above.

This was really hard to narrow down.
    These are books I've made all of my kids read (when appropriate).

For Secondary School/High School (grade 9-12)? To Kill a Mockingbird
    For Primary/Elementary (grade 1-5)? Chronicles of Narnia
    For Junior/Middle (grade 6-8)? The Hiding Place

14. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Elementary: Island of the Blue Dolphins
    Jr. High: Animal Farm
    High School: 1984

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I have a few of these in my 'to read' - The Outsiders and 1984 and i know DD already read To Kill a Mockingbird and Animal Farm but i didn't read along with those - The Great Gatsby was possibly one of the worst reading experiences I've had (and only recently but then Catcher in the Rye was equally painful for me) so i can't agree on that one - is the point meant to be of the misgivings of wealth & style without substance??

Anyway, I'd second (or third?) Wonder for Primary - DS's class read it in 3rd or 4th class (he also loved The Hobbit at that stage). The Giver was one of my faves that would suit a bit older than that so Junior. In terms of older kids, it's kind of an Aussie classic with a movie & tv adaptations (that like so many adaptations didn't do the book justice) now but Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden is hard for me to go past. I have The Hate U Give on the shelf that has been spoken of highly as suitable for that age too but haven't read myself so can't personally recommend yet

Random related Q - is studying a different Shakespeare play each year part of yr 7 and up common in US state curriculums? DD always enjoys it but DS's intro to it (albeit over Zoom classes and Google Docs) hasn't gone so well

16. bestcee

I know I read Romeo and Juliet in grade 9, and Hamlet in grade 10. Then, in Grade 11 I took Shakespeare for an English credit. I don't recall reading any before Romeo and Juliet.

I don't know if you have them available, but there's some fabulous Lego Shakespeare books (Brick Shakespeare) that we read with Munchkin when he was grade 3. They are abridged, but include the language and the Lego just makes it fun.

bellbird likes this.
  17. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

How'd I miss this thread?!

I'm not sure what I'd recommend, but here is my required reading history:

For College/University: The Odyssey and/or The Iliad
    For Secondary School/High School (grade 9-12): To Kill a Mockingbird, Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, Alas, Babylon, Much Ado About Nothing, The Crucible, Huckleberry Finn, Peace Like A River, and All Quiet on the Western Front
    For Junior/Middle (grade 6-8): The Outsiders
    For Primary/Elementary (grade 1-5): I don't remember any of the titles of the required books. I personally read the first few Harry Potter books, Little House on the Prairie.

bellbird likes this.