Macbook users?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Kat, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I have a macbook pro 2017. Just shy of a year old. I got it before Christmas last year. I had to exchange it in the first 3 weeks due to a weird black screen flicker. I then had lots of trouble with it shutting down/freezing up which they blamed on my workflow (it wasn't).

Now I have the repeating key issue on the laptop itself. I use a wireless mac keyboard most of the time but I realize how bad it is when I don't have that (which is going to be a lot over the next month). I read that the fix is a full replacement and it takes several days.

Has anyone had this issue too? Repeating or duplicating keys when typing. looks like thiiss orr thhiss. So irritating for such a pricey computer.

2. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I've been using Macs for 8 years and haven't had that problem. I will say the newer models are definitely not as durable. I've had my monitor crack twice. The first time is a total mystery how it happened and the second time it slipped and dropped about 1' onto a carpet at a very slow speed. Hopefully you get it fixed under warranty with minimal downtime!

Kat likes this.
  3. Kat

I've been reading about it and apparently this keyboard issue is widespread. My only issue, I work everyday on this machine so it will be a huge pain. I don't have any downtime to be without it until late December. I'm a retoucher so I edit for other photographers (plus for myself) and have lots of jobs due to the busy season right now. Ugh!

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Sorry to hear your problems @Kat I have had Macs for twenty years and never had a serious problem with any machine other than a graphics card burn out on my iMac which I just replaced after 7+years this month. I also have a refurbished 2016 MBP that I bought last summer when the graphics card issue started. (I replaced the card to get some more time with the old iMac which will be a hand me down to my granddaughter .)

If this were my MBP, I'd go for the full replacment asap even though some customers may be delayed/lost. Peace of mind without an ailing machine is worth it imho, sadly. Somehow I've found that there never seems to be a good time to be without our Mac/s.

5. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I totally understand! My machine was out of warranty, so I took it to a local repair shop and they let me keep my computer while they ordered the parts and I was able to use an external monitor. It's probably worth asking if they'd be willing to do something similar for you. Good luck!

6. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I've never had that problem with my MBP, but mine is a little older. 2015, I think. This is my 6th Mac upgrading about every 5 years (got first one in 1985!).

7. Kat

@Aerobigirl I heard that this started in 2016, but some issues went back to 2015, not as many.

@SeattleSheri I do have applecare + but found it unhelpful thus far. The customer support they offer has gone downhill in the last year or two. But this one is under the first year warranty still anyway. It's just an irritating problem and widespread but it figures I finally buy into a mac computer when they start going downhill. Mine is a beast. We bought all the upgrades to run all my photography programs so it's crazy to me to have to give it to them to fix something like that when it should never be happening.

@cookingmylife I do want to have it corrected asap, but I just am not sure how to do the computer work I do every day without it. Seems insane to just give it to them for up to a week.

8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

If I remember correctly we have the same computer ... the 2011 27" iMac, right? Mine has been very sluggish lately. Please tell me what symptoms led you to realize you needed a new graphics card. I cannot afford a new computer so I'm very grateful I'm a patient person. But if there's some maintenance I could do, I'm up for that! One thing I know to do is make sure my hard drive is as uncluttered as possible. It's a newer hard drive, btw; I replaced it a couple years ago. The sluggishness is things like waiting for everything to open, not being able to do multiple tasks at the same time, the computer "forgetting" the wifi (like it's disconnected; the wifi is fine everywhere else in the house).

9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

My MBP is 2 years old. The only problem I’ve been having lately is that my Finder keeps freezing and I have to relaunch constantly. Such a pain.

I hope you figure things out quickly.

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@michelepixels Just first, the 2011 is still running pretty well with the new graphics card. I have waited for a really new iMac to come out and finally decided to get a replacement now. Once I clear all I need from the 2011, I'm giving it to my daughter and granddaughter. I suspect it has another good year for what they'll do AND if they take care of it which I'm not sure will be as fastidious as I am. Oh well...

Now re the symptoms I had. I would get a vertical gray bar about 1 inch across when I was working on a 12" layout. It kept happening and I'm as meticulous as you are with keeping all my electronics clean and cleaned out. After having this issue crop up a lot of times, one day the screen just went black. Nada. It really did seem like something burned out. I took it into the store, which thank god is just 3 miles away. Diagnosed a dead/burned out graphics card. I think it was ~500 and she said it could buy me 6 months or more depending on usage. I used it hard every day but felt I had had my time with it. I was starting to get some of those gray bars again. 12"x1" I'd say. I just didn't want to have the graphics card burn out and HAVE to get a new computer at an inconvenient time, though of course it's never convenient. I thought long and hard and decided it was time to get a new iMac. Also, my OS was getting old (El Capitan) and I didn't want to upgrade it since I feared that my programs might not play well. (That was not the case. My PSE15 and my CC work just fine with High Sierra as I transferred all data via an iCloud Time Machine backup. I'm not going to Mojave til well into next year.) hth! I loved that 2011 AND it had a cd/dvd drive. boo hoo.

michelepixels likes this.