Mac Question - folder images

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by sbpoet, May 2, 2020.

1. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

It's been so long I've forgotten how to put an image on a folder. I'm using a Mac desktop. Can someone help?

Edit to add: I have tried following online instructions, but instead of getting the image I want (usually the preview) instead I get a "jpeg" image.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am not a Mac user, but I know that some of the designers include a file called _icon or something like that (at least that's how it shows up for my Windows computer) and that should be what shows up for your preview in the folder. I think there's another thread in forum about how to add your own. Let me see if I can find it for ya! :agree

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

4. michelepixels

michelepixels Amazing, Awesome and Wonderful!

First, copy the image you want. I double click on the kit preview image to open it in a preview window, hit command-A to select all, then command-C to copy.
    Then, go back to the folder, right click on it, and select Get Info. In the little info window, click on the tiny folder icon at the top, and hit command-V for paste.

I wrote a longer blog post with screenshots I can find, if that isn't clear. Let me know! (edit: I went ahead and found it. Next post.)

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    scrpprgirl and Karen like this.
  5. michelepixels

I went ahead and found the blog post. I can't link you to it because I've shut down my blog, but I'll try pasting the pertinent info here.

(blog post by me, written many years ago, and it's an alpha because I first used this technique to get my alphas easy to find in my folders; it's the same procedure for kit previews)

First, copy the graphic you want to use for your icon so it’s on the clipboard. I’m double-clicking on the capital A to open it in Preview and hitting Command-A and Command-C, the keyboard shortcuts for Select All and Copy. There will be “marching ants,” a flashing line, around the preview box to show you the graphic has been selected, as you can see along the left and bottom edges here.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.55.26 AM.png

Close that preview window. Then, right-click on the folder you want to change and click on Get Info.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.56.26 AM.png

That will bring up the little info window for the folder. Click on the little folder icon at the very top, the one I didn’t even notice the first time I tried to do this. (I only noticed the comparatively giant preview icon nearer the bottom, and it’s not clickable.) Notice in my screenshot the little folder icon at the top is highlighted in blue around the edges; that happens after it has been clicked.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.57.16 AM.png
    After clicking on that little, easily missed folder, hit Control-V, the keyboard shortcut for Paste, and the original icons will change in all three places: the tiny one at the top, the preview lower down, and in the Finder window. Woo hoo!

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.58.36 AM.png

6. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

michelepixels likes this.
  7. michelepixels

Yes! It is part of my regular routine, whenever I download new products. I do it right away, usually. I use it for other things beside digiscrap kits too. It makes it so much easier to find things in my computer files!

AJK and scrpprgirl like this.
  8. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member

Thank you for this tut!!! it works im so happy now!! LOL

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@sbpoet I use an app, image2icon, which still is free though there is a premium/advanced option which I have not needed for almost 10 years! I love it cause it's simple and I do it in batches of new downloads when I'm cleaning out the items in each kit/folder that I don't need.

AS @michelepixels said it's great for the folders. I use it for my yearly PL folder, the monthly folder for TLP Challenges and quite a few designers have their avatar on their folder! My only caveat about this is that most of the folders on my desktop are aliases, and darn Catalina OS will not show the image every time I turn my computer off so each morning I have to redo the alias.