M3 Stencil Tutorial **hybrid**

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Cristina, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I am having way too much fun with this M3 collab! :thumbsups
    I want to share with you a few pictures I snapped while I was putting together the two hybrid pages I made with M3.

These pages were born thanks to the awesome cut file by Quirky Heart that is included in the August M3. I cut it with my Silhouette machine out of transparency paper. I used the settings from this tutorial (speed: 3, thickness: 33, blade depth: 3). It worked beautifully!! Then I placed the stencil on white cardstock and painted over it using Tim Holtz distress paint (picked raspberry, fired brick and spiced marmalade, applied top to bottom on my page) and Heidi Swapp mists (gold and citron).

[​IMG]

The paints come in bottles with daubers, which I used directly to apply the paint, then I sprayed the mists on top (I sprayed the green one only on the bottom of the page, and the gold throughout). Here's a closer look:

[​IMG]

After removing the stencil, there was still quite a bit of paint on it.

[​IMG]

I couldn't get myself to simply rinse off those pretty colors, so I decided to press the stencil over a fresh piece of paper. That way, I got the negative image of the previous background. After printing out some digital papers and elements on matte paper to embellish my pages and the photos, I decided how to arrange everything.

[​IMG]

Then I added some embellishments and journaling. Here is the first finished page:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the second one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if you have any questions! I would love to see your hybrid creations. :heartlub

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. mishou

mishou mishou

Thank you so much for posting this Cristina! Your layouts are truly amazing!

I was so "in my groove" on the day that I worked on M3 stuff I completely forgot to take process photos and video! But all of my papers with circles on them for the August kit and add-on were made using that stencil and acrylic paints :)

[​IMG]

My favorite tools to use with stencils and acrylics like this to create backgrounds:

- a brayer (put little blobs of different colour paint and roll over with a brayer to see what magic happens!)
    - a Gelli plate
    - makeup sponge wedges (great for daubing!)

I will echo Cristina and say I'd love to see if anyone else gives this technique a try :)

3. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

Did I tell you I LOVE LOVE LOVE this?! LOL AMAZING AND GORGEOUS!!! and yes, I'm totally shouting LOL

4. JuliettePerkins

JuliettePerkins I eat, sleep, breathe Apple.

I would never have thought of using make up sponges, so cool!

Also, when you use your brayer, do you just pop your paint straight on your card stock? I don't have a Gelli Plate (though its super tempting...) and so I slop paint down on a transparency so I can get and even coat on a brayer...

There's so much to learn! :D

5. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

OMG! These are some of my favorite mixed media toys. LOVE THIS!

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

this is really cool... unfortunately I do not have a silhouette so I will have to try digitally :) and maybe with some watercolor brushes.

7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Great idea to use makeup sponges. Love the cut files.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love this so much Cristina! Thanks for posting and getting my creative mind working in overtime! I wanna play.... like NOW!

9. julifish

julifish Heather's Team

Can we play along using digital techniques?

10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

11. mishou

mishou mishou

Ack! Sorry I missed your question!

When I use my brayer with the stencil what I do is place the stencil on my cardstock where I want it, then I drop the paint and smear with the brayer. If you're careful the stencil won't move, but even if it does it will still look cool :) Your idea to use a transparency to get an even coat is very clever! I'm too lazy to have thought of that lol! I'm pretty "fast and furious" when I'm making backgrounds, never really stopping to think about what I'm doing (for better or worse!)

12. mishou

mishou mishou

Definitely!

13. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

It would be super cool to use the template as a mask with some spray paint brushes!

14. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

What a fantastic tutorial! I nearly feel like getting out some paint to give it a try!!

15. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

This looks so good, almost tempting to get my inks out again...

16. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

This is awesome Cristina! Thanks for sharing...and you may just get me to get my silhouette and try it again! I got too frustrated with it before!

17. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

So cool. All of this is pushing me closer to hitting the buy button on the silhouette.

18. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I think I have some transparency paper laying around! I need to do this! Thanks for the tutorial Cristina!