Lynn Grieveson - July 2020 - Scrap an Old Photo Challenge

Discussion in 'Designer Challenges' started by mcurtt, Jul 1, 2020.

1. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Hi everyone, happy July! It’s Marilyn here. I’m excited to post my first challenge for Lynn, and even more excited because it requires that you use an old photograph.

Anyone who sees my posts in the gallery knows that I often will use heritage photos in my layouts. I was blessed to be able to scan in literally hundreds of vintage photos from all sides of the family. My husband’s grandmother even mentioned us in her will, stating that we were to receive her old scrapbooks and photo albums. I feel so fortunate to be able to connect with my family (and my husband’s family) in this wonderful hobby of digital scrapbooking.

For this challenge, I’ve chosen to create a layout with the oldest known photo in my stash. It dates back to 1874. The little girl in her father’s lap that you see here is my DH’s great-great grandmother. She was born in 1873. It is the family unit, her mother, her father, and three of her brothers. She was the only daughter. The photo was taken in Malmo, Sweden. As you can see, my original photo was quite yellow, so I brightened it a bit and removed the yellowish cast with a color balance adjustment layer. I also sharpened it ever so slightly and applied the spot healing brush to fix some of the imperfections on the scanned image. I didn’t worry about it too much. After all, the photo is almost 150 years old.

Marilyn_Herman, John, Ernst, Ingeborg, Benedicta & husband Pehrsen_300.jpg

For my layout, I used Lynn's Jolie Kit as well as Layered Up Photo Spots. Photo links back to my gallery. :-)
    [​IMG]

Here are some other samples from Lynn’s creative team to give you more inspiration:

From Geraldine: It is a photo which dates from 1920 I think! She represents my maternal grandmother! To arrange the photo, with Photoshop, I used Content-Aware and a Raw camera preset on my page. I used Design story Template and Dreams are free Kit and Starry Wood Kit
    Dady_mother.jpg

Dady_lgrieveson_July-2020_scrap-old-photo.jpg

From Patsy, a photo from 1899.
    The layout was made using Lynn's Life in Pictures template; Wind Whispers kit and Old Edges 2. It's a true "Patsy style" layout. The background of wood with the stems/weeds/flowers seemed appropriate to me for a farm surrounded by woodlands.
    Patsy_Original_OldPhotoChall_July2020_web.jpg
    Patsy_Tom_Ethel_July2020OldPhotoChall_flowersgal_web.jpg

From Maureen: You can just see my grandfather, PopPop, age 56 in the top corner. I picked this photo since it shows my love of and interest in food started young! I took the blue haze off the original scan even tho I kind of liked that coloring. It was straightened and cropped a bit as the white of the photo edge was not even. Using Wild and Free as well & the Here and Now template.

Maureen_birthday 4.jpeg

Maureen_20 07 July Monthly_600.jpg

From Judy: Using la vie template and Hester Kit. No photo treatments were done.

Judy_0701 lg.jpg

Judy_0701-LD-old-pic-challenge.jpg

Continued in next post...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Lillyia and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. mcurtt

And from Carol:
    Scrappable Stackables No9 by Lynn Grieveson Designs and The Nifty Pixel
    Wind Whispers mini-kit by Lynn Grieveson Designs

Carol_1919-Grace.jpg

Carol_1919-Smile---Grace.jpg

And so I invite you all to join in.
    The challenge rules:
    • Use one old photo. If you can choose the oldest one in your possession, that would be fantastic. The photo must be at least 10 years old. Often times old photos are faded, stained or torn. You may edit your photo as I did or leave it as is to show its age.
    • Please upload the original photo to your post as well as pulling in your gallery layout.
    • In your layout, be sure to include the date of the photograph, or at least a circa.
    • In your layout, also include a bit of journaling regarding what the photo is all about, why it is meaningful to you...
    • Use at least 75% of Lynn’s products.
    • Please upload to Lynn's gallery at The LilyPad following the gallery posting rules.
    • Link your gallery image to this thread.
    • You have from now until the 31st of July to create your vintage layout.
    After the challenge ends, all participants will receive a 25% off coupon for Lynn’s products. Should you have any questions, feel free to tag me @mcurtt in this post and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks and have a fantastic and safe July.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    DivaMom96 and flowersgal like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm SO excited, Marilyn!! I LOVE your challenge! I can't believe how you improved that original photograph, which is awesome, BTW. All of the inspiration layouts are stunning and I'll definitely be digging through my old photos. I have a "few" around here, too. Can't wait to get started!

mcurtt likes this.
  4. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

@mcurtt - great challenge. Actually my original photo is circa 1899. I have the date on the wordstrip in the layout.

mcurtt likes this.
  5. mcurtt

Duh... I was moving this a.m., trying to get this posted before DH & I went out to work on the property in the heat & humidity. I will fix this. I saw "20" from "2020" and went from there. Sorry about that.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I love when someone challenges me to make a layout using non-contemporary photos. I whine about running out of photos of my grands, when all the time these oldies-but-goodies are just sitting there waiting to be shown off!

Here is the original photo (in pretty good shape, I'd say!):
    [​IMG]

Brightened a tiny bit, and a touch of sepia tint:
    [​IMG]
    Credits: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galle...enge_07-20_heritage_oscara-eaglesnest.438297/

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  7. mcurtt

Looking forward to your creation, Cheryl. :-)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

[​IMG]
    Here's the layout with credits. :)

mcurtt likes this.
  9. chigirl

chigirl Candy Corn junkie

my original photo

[​IMG]

and my page

[​IMG]

trekmom and mcurtt like this.
  10. Kendra

Kendra Well-Known Member

I currently live on a sailboat, so I don't have old photos around. I got this one of my great-great-grandparents from a cousin. My great-grandfather is the boy in the hat. I enjoyed this challenge, and have a few other photos I may try also.

Here's the original:
    Sophia - Arthur - Carl - August Olsson ca 1896.jpg
    The only thing I did to it for my layout was add a cooling filter and cover up the photographer's stamp with elements.

Here's my layout:
    [​IMG]

Lillyia, flowersgal and mcurtt like this.
  11. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thanks for this great challenge!

[​IMG]

flowersgal and mcurtt like this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

This is a photo or scan of the original photo that is currently hanging on my Mom's wall 3000 miles away from me. I just did some simple auto adjusting to try to get rid of the green and then used Adjust Hue and applied a sepia tint.
    great grandma family.jpg
    [​IMG]

13. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge Marilyn

[​IMG]

my photo
    scan.jpg

Lillyia, trekmom, wvsandy and 2 others like this.
  14. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Here's my take on the challenge.

military.jpg

Vintage_military-min.jpg

15. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

This is a photo of my grandparents. All I know is it was shortly after they were married-I didn't want to guess at the year. I used it as is. I do not know how to insert the original. If someone can please tell me, I will come back and edit it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  16. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I'm loving these heritage layouts, and what a great challenge!

I have SO lost my digi-scrapping mojo during this COVID-19 lockdown, but this is one challenge that I'm going to try to meet...

Lillyia, mcurtt and Cherylndesigns like this.
  17. mcurtt

In the lower right hand corner of your post here, click on EDIT POST. You will then have three red boxes appear. Click on More Options, and then Upload File. You then browse for the file on your computer and select it. There may be an acknowledgement for it. I'm at my MIL's, typing this on my tablet, so I'm doing this from memory... When it has uploaded, you can select Thumbnail or Full size. I prefer Full, but that is up to you. Save your edited response, and you should be good to go.

I get most annoyed when I think my cursor is at the bottom of the post, but it somehow moved. The photo/file will insert where the cursor is, so just be aware.

18. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I love the idea of scrapping old photo, I just wish I had more (a bit envious of you Marilyn).
    Here's my original
    IMG_0768.JPG
    [​IMG]

flowersgal, Lillyia and mcurtt like this.
  19. mcurtt

Mary Kate, I hope you can. You always create great heritage layouts.

mary kate likes this.
  20. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

Lynn Grieveson July Challenge old photo Grandma Vincenza and Uncle John take 2.jpg This is my maternal grandmother, Vincenza and my uncle John. Both long gone but never forgotten.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020