Loving MOC!!

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2019' started by DisneyMom, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

1. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

I joined TLP forums in May of last year, so this is my first time taking part in MOC. Many of the challenges so far have really taken me out of my comfort zone. And I love it! Some have involved more thinking than others, especially since I'm trying to put a Disney spin on every page. If anyone is struggling - hang in there and take a leap of faith.

Today's art journaling one gave me a slight panic attack at first. I knew there would be at least one Art journaling challenge this month and I was dreading it. I thought to myself, even if this wasn't a layout I'd print or use in anyway I'm going to learn a new skill. It's up to me if I want to use that skill later on in my other layouts. I approached it as creating a layout just for this challenge only - to get one done. But guess what - I ended up with something far beyond what I thought I could ever do. I LOVE it, so much it's now apart of my siggy and with maybe a few adjustments (saved the psd file) I'm going to print it out and frame it.

I can't wait to see what challenges lay ahead this month - I'm learning so much. Thanks to everyone who is putting in SO MUCH work to make MOC happen - :yourock

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

well done Michelle, MOC is great for so many things. I joined the Lilypad in Nov 2017, it was during MOC that I really got to know people here, the designers and their various kit syles. I used so many different sytles and techniques. My scrapbooking grew so much. MOC this year is more of the same - more fun, more challenge, more creative growth, and more getting to know people.

lmccandless, Karen, KarenB and 7 others like this.
  3. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

Oh a million times this!!

My new year for the last 7 years has been filled with an abundance of scraping inspiration because of MOC! My scraping creativity LIVES and BREATHES challenges! And I love the ones that take me out of my comfort zone, (Just ask Anne who delighted in finding ways to make me WAIT and follow rules with some Art Journaling challenge tricks in the past!). For MOC I know I'll be making pages that I typically just don't do any other time of year. Mainly that's because I'm generally a faster scrapper & MOC likes to make me think more. It's that thinking more, and reflecting on what a challenge is asking for, that really sparks something as I make pages.

I always repeat myself when I say January with MOC is the jumpstarter for all my creative energy for the year. I kind of get in a funk at the end of years & this reignites me!

LOVE that you are experiencing that too!!

lmccandless, KarenB, KimJ and 4 others like this.
  4. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

I learned to appreciate art journaling with MOC to, I felt very insecure starting my page back then, but I was amazed by what came out of my hands.
    MOC can trigger ideas you thought you never had, it pulls you out of your comfort zone. Glad to hear it worked out for you and you had fun making your page! Enjoy the rest of 2019 MOC

lmccandless, KarenB, KimJ and 5 others like this.
  5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

One thing I've learned with MOC - you don't have to LOVE every single one of your pages. But I think its good to try new things, even if you decide its not for you. I actually enjoy art journaling (or at least my version of art journaling) when I do it, it's just not in my comfort zone so I don't always think of doing it.

I'm so happy you are enjoying MOC! It's a labor of love for all of us in the back areas of the Pad, so knowing that you are getting enjoyment out of it, and learning/trying new things, is exciting for us!

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

This makes my heart sing Michelle!!! Hugs!

7. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

So glad you are enjoying MOC, Michelle! It is one of my favorite things we do here at the pad. I always learn so much and stretch myself in ways I never would on my own. I come back to some of the ideas and techniques again and again. This community is so stinking talented as well! The gallery during January is like a candy store, full of so much yummy goodness!

P.S. the art journaling challenges give me a panic attack too!! :)

lmccandless, KarenB, KimJ and 4 others like this.
  8. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Seriously! These are words that make this ol' Polly just fly high on happy! Thank you!

9. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I actually came to TLP because of Sissy Sparrows. For those of you who know of the twin designers, they were deep into art journaling. That was in January, 2015. And no, I did not attempt MOC that year, I pretty much stuck with Sissy Sparrows' challenges. And then a few months later, Jen Evangelista started up an ATC swap, so I joined in there. And fast forward 4 years. Today I have completed my 1000th layout in the gallery, the silhouette one, and I couldn't be happier. This is my 4th MOC, and I hope to complete it as I have the other 3. MOC is frenetic, fun, rewarding. :-)

10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt Writing a sonnet in my corvette

[​IMG]

lmccandless, KarenB and DisneyMom like this.
  11. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

@mcurtt What's an ATC swap? I keep seeing the term ATC, but I don't know what it is {blush}

mcurtt likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic College was bad for my reputation

Awww Michelle!! This is the best thing I've read all day!! MOC is so special to us and I love that you are enjoying it so much. It really is all about learning and growing and expanding on what we already do. Will we love all our pages? Maybe, maybe not, but if you tried and learned something it's worth it! If you step out of your comfort zone, you're growing! This is my 6th MOC and every year I am always so happy with the pages I create, even if some are much harder for me than others. Even if you never use some of the techniques again, you have a new skill set and who knows when that might be needed :)

lmccandless, KimJ and DisneyMom like this.
  13. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Artist trading card, size is 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. They are signed by you, are meant to give away, to share small pieces of your art with others. In the TLP swap, there was a monthly theme. You made as many cards as there were participants. Many created digital ones which were printed out by the coordinator. A few of us, me included, did hybrid. It was always fun to get snail mail with everyone's little works of art. I believe that Jenn McCabe is doing something similar with the letter swap, see the hybrid forum for more info. :beat

14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Yay! I'm the same- art journaling & similar is just SO not my style, but sometimes I end up LOVING the layouts that push me out of my normal! Glad you're here with us to play along! :)

15. SeattleSheri

Thank you for the explanation, that sounds fun!

lmccandless and mcurtt like this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee Lorelei and Rory are my neighbors

17. SeattleSheri

18. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

Michelle, this makes me SOOOO happy to read! I love that you know you are being pushed outside your comfort zone (me too!) and that you are liking that push. I also love that the AJ one freaked you out at first and now you're wanting to print it! You will make Anne's day!! @AnneofAlamo :heartslub

19. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

I love that your 1000th layout was for the AJ challenge. So perfect for you! :)

DisneyMom, lmccandless and mcurtt like this.
  20. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

I love MOC it makes me so happy to have the SB challenges daily and im always behind and some of the challenges make me lose sleep but i LOVE IT!!!! I cant believe how hard all the pollys work! Thank you!

jk703 and DisneyMom like this.