Local Food | Pad Patter 8.31

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Aug 31, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, in planning our trip across the nation, I've been checking to see what food we should check out in different places.
    This has led to much disappointment in Nevada. The lists online have interesting things listed for a lot of places! Apple Cider Donuts, Cheese Grits, BBQ.... And then there's Nevada. Shrimp Cocktail or Buffets. No, really! That's what's listed. Ugh.

So, share with me: What is the local food your city/town/county/state/province/country know for?

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Umm, Scrapple? Blue crabs? Apparently there are lots of cranberry bogs around the area but I've never seen one.

I totally LOLed at "buffets" being a Nevada "food" :) Having said that, there are some awesome Pennsylvania Dutch buffets near-ish us lol. They are basically comfort food and they have wonderful dessert bars! There's Federal Donuts, which is awesome. Not that the area is known for donuts...we just always seem to end up there when in Philly.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    bestcee likes this.
  3. bestcee

Nevada....

Utah gets jello and Funeral potatoes and fry sauce. And one list had pastrami burgers, but I'm not sure that's completely a Utah thing.

4. bestcee

This was on one of the lists!!!

I don't know that I'm brave enough to try it though....

5. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Well, there's controversy over whether or not Fortune Cookies were invented here in San Francisco. I don't know about Rice A Roni being the San Francisco treat. Fisherman's Wharf is well known for seafood. Gotta have Boudin's chowder in a bread bowl. Oriental Pearl is my favorite Dim Sum restaurant at the edge of Chinatown. In my part of the Bay Area, everyone knows the Dutch Goose Restaurant, we call it "The Goose". They have the best deviled eggs. Gotta have a burger & a platter of eggs.

6. Tree City

I never have so no judgement here lol!

bestcee likes this.
  7. Tree City

My bad. That's what I get for watching the kids play Xbox while replying! I read Nevada but replied Utah. Who does that?! I'm going to edit my original post...

bestcee likes this.
  8. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Cincinnati Ohio area is known for Skyline Chili. It's a different type of chili that you put over Spaghetti. There is also Gold Star, Empress and Dixie Chili that is similiar - the spaghetti is known as a 3 way (spaghetti, chili & cheese).

bestcee and AJK like this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

South Carolina?...Pepsi was born here. But boiled peanuts seem to be the rage- especially if you take them and dump some in a glass bottled Coke. I tried it once, but I don't like many foods mixed so I hated it, lol! But it really is popular here- especially near the coast. Pulled pork ( from a "pig pickin' " ) is really good. Other name is BBQ. Most BBQ here is mustard or vinegar based. Up north is more sugary. And of course, Shrimp n Grits. ( Can't recommend either, but that wasn't your question. And I was born a Yankee, so I'm not a southern food fan. Just love the geography here.

bestcee likes this.
  10. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Wisconsin - Friday night fish fries, cheese curds, local wines, local beers, Door County apples and cherries, and lots of cheese, all kinds of cheese, you can never have too much cheese!

BevG likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ahhh the foods of West Virginia...
    First and foremost - Pepperoni Rolls! The state's official food and I love them!!
    Also, biscuits and gravy, soup beans and cornbread, morels, ramps, hot dogs with slaw, and venison.

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Where I live in Florida is very close to the Alabama line, so we also have a lot of Alabama dishes and treats. My fave from Alabama/Northern Florida are boiled peanuts.

Here are some things:

Florida orange juice, key lime pie, kumquats (like tiny oranges but you eat them whole or I prefer them as a jam), gulf oysters, seafood gumbo, fresh seafood - catch of the day (you can get it prepared in a variety of ways), shrimp and grits, fried fish sandwiches (I'm partial to the grouper) or fried shrimp poboys.

Since we are Southern, there's just basic Southern dishes like greens/turnips, fried chicken, biscuits, corn fritters, fried apple pies, mashed potatoes and gravy, all kinds of peas and beans.

I don't know much about the cuisine of South Florida, with a huge Cuban influence, but I do know that the mojito is one of them. LOL

bestcee likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

This semi-Yankee loves boiled peanuts too!

Maryland? Crab cakes made with lump crab and almost no filler. Thick, fat and not cheap. Also cream of crab soup, again lump crab, heavy cream, butter and a dash of sherry. Period. "Maryland crab soup" is crab and a tomatoey veggie soup with a good dash of Old Bay seasoning.

Of course, steamed crabs with Old Bay...which you can always wash down with a Natty Boh (National Bohemian beer - cheap, light but local.

Then there's Smith Island cake, which I don't care for but a 7 or more layer cake made by pouring cake batter into a round cake pan and making each layer thin pancake thick. Spread jam or frosting between each layer and there it is!

bestcee likes this.
  14. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

NC:
    pulled pork BBQ - eastern NC has a vinegar based sauce (often just vinegar and spices) while western NC has a vinegar and ketchup based sauce. Also the eastern style uses the whole hog, while the western uses just the shoulder.
    Brunswick stew - pulled pork, chicken, potatoes, Lima beans, and tomatoes
    Krispy Kreme doughnuts - at NC State University they do a fundraiser run, where you run 2.5 miles from campus to the KK, eat an entire dozen of glazed doughnuts, and then run back 2.5 miles to campus - all in 1 hour if you can.
    Cheerwine - a red cherry cola (and there is no wine in it)
    Pimento Cheese - although my favorite brand is from SC
    And all the other Southern foods you can eat.

15. Tree City

DH bought Cheerwine yesterday and the kids love it! I had never heard of it before, but I guess it was on sale and he bought some. The only problem is that, instead of "Cheerwine," DS keeps calling it "cherry wine," and I am very worried he's going to go to school and say "I had cherry wine yesterday." :faint2

For my Midwestern/Northern friends, Cheerwine tastes a little bit like Faygo red pop. (Maybe you have access to it up north? I didn't when I was younger lol.)

16. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

Texas --
    All the TexMex foods -- fajitas, enchiladas, queso with chips, guacamole with chips, tamales, and of course tacos. Breakfast tacos, street tacos, soft tacos, other tacos!
    Also BBQ but different than NC BBQ. It's pretty much beef although smoked turkey is wonderful too.

bestcee likes this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I should be living in Texas! Love their style of BBQ and all the taco things. But I like the ocean, mountains, and trees too much.

kimingvtx likes this.
  18. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well... I'm not sure Michigan is famous for any foods, but maybe Pasties and Vernors and Faygo pop? In my specific area we are surrounded by fruit farms, so apples, cherries, blueberries, strawberries and grapes. The grapes are then turned into LOTS of local wines. We also claim Mackinaw fudge, which tastes exactly like any other fudge you've purchased at a Kilwins, but it sure is yummy! We also have exactly one zillion local breweries and lots of local hops farms to support said breweries... if you like craft beer. I went to college in Kalamazoo where Bell's Brewery is and they make Oberon, which I think is moving towards being supplied lots of states past Michigan. And for my hubby, since we are surrounded by the great lakes which provided LOTS of delicious fish, especially Lake Perch, I think we can claim that too. :agree

BevG and AJK like this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

well local here is vastly different - most of the 'taste tests' of Aussie food involves Vegemite (why do people always try it off a spoon?! it's an 'on toast' on top of margarine/butter spread) & Tim Tams (it's a chocolate dipped, chocolate filled biscuit/cookie, who isn't going to prefer that to a spoonful of salty yeasty tar?!) - anywhere on the coast, like our area, is all about seafood though but mostly Aust'n restaurants are about 'fusion' - or as i call it 'hodge podge', sounds like you could make that yourself in Nevada by mixing your buffet offerings ;-)

20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Love Tim Tams!

North Carolina has been covered. It's pretty much bbq with more of a vinegar-based bbq sauce.

BevG and bellbird like this.