LIVE WORKSHOP 8.9.16: Create an Art Journal with Digital Ephemera

Discussion in 'Six Weeks of Summer School' started by jenevang, Aug 3, 2016.

1. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

The recorded workshop is available for viewing here:
    https://lilypad.adobeconnect.com/p4e4mjue8ts/

------------------------------------------
    OK, this is so exciting. I'm going to attempt something new (for me) and fun (for us all, I hope). I will be hosting a workshop/tutorial on how to use digital ephemera to create a physical smash book/art journal. LIVE!

Join us here!!
    https://lilypad.adobeconnect.com/tlptechniquechats/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it's bound to be a little crazy. (fine print: you are not gonna want to miss it :giggle )

Now, you are all more than welcome to join in just to chat or mock me, but wouldn't it be fun if you made one of these little books, too?!

[​IMG]

And it's gonna be SUPER SIMPLE so everybody, regardless of your paper crafting skills can join in!

Here's a Supply List you'll need to have ready on the day of the Workshop if you want to play along...

Reminder that ***LURKERS WELCOME*** . This is just IF you want your very own.

Absolutely Needed:
    1. A blank notebook or journal. I'm going to use a simple, ugly Composition Book. It's back to school time and you can grab one at Wal-Mart for about a dollar. There are also pretty Composition Books or other notebooks that would allow you to skip the "decorate the cover" step. Don't over think this, just use something you have or can pick up at the next store you pass by.

2. Adhesive. Many options here and it's totally fine to use what you have. I like using good old fashioned glue to adhere elements and small pieces. But if you are using a thin paper book like I am you may want some spray glue because we are going to adhere some pages together and I've found this is the easiest way. Again, glue of all kinds is EVERYWHERE right now. (note: some more experienced crafters may want to use Liquitex matte gel to adhere papers, but I'm going the simple route).

3. Digital Ephemera. I'm sure you probably already have some of this in your digi stash, so take some time to locate them, tag them, copy them into a separate folder... whatever will make it easy to find them during the workshop. And, since all of next week is Ephemera Week in Summer School, you will, of course, want to shop the SALE that will start next week *cough* and get some more!

Check out all of the fun in the Ephemera Category! And if you are on a strict budget (who's not), check out this bundle in particular... lots of good stuff for a small price. I will be using this in my example.

[​IMG]

And if you love the Ladies on the ad above and feel you simply MUST have them, you can find them here...

[​IMG]

These are just a couple of examples... there are literally hundreds more from many designers in the store!

4. Printer and Paper. If you are using digital ephemera, you will need a way to print things out. We are going to go over exactly how to do this, but you will need the ability to print at home (or I can show you how to set them up to have them printed inexpensively). And if you print them at home, you will need paper. I like a heavy quality Bright White paper. You can use heavier weight printer paper (at least 24 lb) or cardstock (at least 65 lb). Now, you can also use whatever you happen to have! Any paper will actually work, you'll just probably be happier with the end product if it's a bit heavier.

Not Absolutely Needed:
    1. Pretty paper for the cover. You can TOTALLY use digital paper (I'm going to), but you will have to print it out. Or you can use scrapbook paper, newspaper, cardstock, wrapping paper... anything you like. Just get something ready if you want to do this during the workshop.

2. Gesso and/or paints. I like to cover some of my pages with gesso and paints to give them texture, but I probably will not be doing that b/c of time restraints for this workshop.

3. Other ephemera from around your house. Ticket stubs, envelopes, invitations, you name it... anything can be art.

4. Any extra finishing touches you may want to add to your book. Have some random ribbon in a drawer? A tassel you have no idea how to use? A child's artwork that you should have thrown out but didn't have the heart to? Gather it all up and you can add it to your finished book.

5. Washi Tape. I will be reviewing Tip-Ins and the easiest way to do these is with Washi Tape (although any tape will do)

[​IMG]

(you are welcome for the Cap Candy)

***Whether you EVER decide to make one of these on your own or not, I'd love to see you at the chat/Workshop on TUESDAY, AUGUST 9th at 11am EDT!***

Last Note: There WILL be a replay for those who can't make it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Sounds so fun Jen! What a great idea ... a live workshop! Gotta love the Pad! :)

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Are you kidding me!?! This is awesome! It's on my calendar!

Now I've got to get my color cartridges!

4. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Woot!!! This sounds so cool!!

5. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I'll probably need to watch the replay but I'm really looking forward to this. You go girl! Fun, Fun, Fun!

jenevang likes this.
  6. tlcd1961

tlcd1961 Well-Known Member

Oh how fun!!!! I will have to watch the replay, but I cannot wait until Tuesday evening! Maybe I could be a little bit sick Tuesday morning and just stay home??

7. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

I sooooo wish I could come to this, but I'll be traveling back home from a business trip on Tuesday. Will it be recorded so we can watch it later?

8. jenevang

Yes, I totally understand since I miss lots due to work, too. Sorry you will miss it live, but it will be recorded.

Psst... somebody make sure I hit the "record" button, K? LOL

HeyJude likes this.
  9. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

@jenevang Yay!! I'll start gathering my supplies. :)

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm thinking of coming just to look at the beautiful art journaling ideas and enjoy hanging out with you all. :grouphug

jenn mccabe and scrapsandsass like this.
  11. jenevang

Please do! Not sure how beautiful the AJ will be, LOL, but it'll be fun regardless.

12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Oh how fun!! Looking forward to it!!

13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Sounds like fun Jen though right now I don't know how my week's going to play out. And yes, I may need to get ink cartridges also!

14. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

So exciting and it's only a day away.

15. jenevang

I may or may not be working on tech stuff for this... excited to be with you guys, whether you create with me or not! I'll be fun (and maybe a bit chaotic :giggle )

16. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

This looks very fun.

17. jenevang

A little over an hour to go! Stop in if you can.

18. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

my meeting got cancelled - so I am so there!..

19. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

this was super. Great ideas and ways to use stuff. Thank you Jen.

20. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

Oh my!! It's super super cool!!! Now I can't wait to get it started!! Thank you @jenevang @lmccandless