Lilypad Letters Swap {June} ... sign up here !!!

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by jenn mccabe, May 27, 2018.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Hey everyone! There has been some interest in getting a pocket letter type of swap going here at the Pad. These are fun swaps that combine the concepts of snail mail/pen pal and scrapping into one. @jenevang started this a few years back and it was really fun! Let's see if there is enough interest to get it going again, shall we?

If you are interested in participating in a Lilypad Letter Swap, post here in this thread with your choice of one of June's themes. I'll keep the sign ups open until June 9th and pair people up by preferred theme on June 10th. You will have until June 30th to get your Lilypad Letter out to your partner.

Themes for June Lilypad Letters are:
    Summertime
    & Travel
    Girl Power & Women's Strength (think M3 for May!)
    Any Theme!
    (This theme allows you and your partner to create anything you desire. You and your partner can pick a theme together or you can agree to surprise each other!)

Here are a few that were done here at The Lilypad in the past:
    lilypadletters.jpg

If you are not sure what this is all about, Jen did all the hard work of explaining the concept but since some of the links are old and not valid anymore, I'm going to copy and paste from her original thread:

This is a recent phenomenon that many of you are already aware of. It is inspired by Pocket Letters, created by Janette Lane. You can find her website here and it gives a lot of information about the original idea and many examples. Also search Pinterest and Google for more ideas/examples.

Basically, the idea is a Snail Mail Swap between TWO swappers only (at a time). The pages will all be the same size. We will be using 9 Pocket Page Protectors (8.5 x 11 in). These are Trading Card (or baseball card) Pocket pages similar to this:

[​IMG]

They can be purchased from Amazon (above) or from most stores that sell office supplies (Wal-Mart, Target, Staples, etc)

And they fit in standard 3 ring binders like this, that can also be found just about anywhere and can be customized to look super cool.

[​IMG]

Once you have your pocket protector, you get to fill it up with awesomeness and send it to someone else in exchange for a work of art created by them! How cool is that? Here are some more specifics for you in the form of FAQ.

1. What do I use to fill my Lilypad Letter?
    You will fill each pocket with paper/cards and goodies. My suggestion is that you start with a background. For example, you can use any of the incredible variety of Journal Cards from right here at The Lilypad, cut them down to size (2.5 x 3.5 in) and slip them in.

Or you can print some Paper or use paper you already have, cut it up and slip it in as your "background".

Once you have your background, you can start adding the fun stuff to some (or all) of the pockets. Here are a FEW ideas although once you see some inspiration you will think of an endless number of goodies to add.

a. Die-Cuts, ephemera, tags, alphas or Elements!
    b. Small office supplies like paper clips (altered to be super fun perhaps?)
    c. Scatter (a fun chance to get out your sewing machine or fuse tool)
    d. Stickers
    e. Sticky Notes
    f. Quotes
    g. Gemstones, small beads or buttons
    h. Tickets/receipts
    i. Ribbon/string
    j. Lace or doilies
    k. Washi tape card
    l. Tea bag, gum or candy (wrapped of course)
    m. Paper dolls, Vintage pattern art

SEE... anything goes. It just needs to fit in the pockets and be flat enough to fold and ship.

2. Why is it called a Letter?
    Each Lilypad Letter needs to include something about YOU tucked into one of the pockets. This will be a letter or a short note sharing a bit about yourself. It doesn't need to be any deep, dark secrets (in fact, I would not advise that). But it does need to tell something about yourself, in your own handwriting. Maybe another hobby, a bit about your home life/home town. Just some way for us to connect a bit more with one another!

3. What does it cost?
    There is NO cost from The Lilypad. The cost of participating is just what you spend creating your page... and honestly it can be done with things you have on hand for the most part... and the cost of Shipping.

4. Can Internationals participate?
    ABSOLUTELY. Everyone is welcome. However, it is a teeny bit more expensive to ship internationally so it that is a significant concern for you, please just indicate that you prefer Domestic Only when you sign up. No biggie.

5. Do I decorate the back?
    It's up to you what you do with the back, but an easy way to make sure the back is as pretty as the front is to put patterned paper there as well. Or get creative... there are so many options.

6. What about my Personal Information?
    You will be exchanging that with your partner ONLY. Please do not post any addresses, etc. in the public forum for your own protection. Once you are paired with a partner, you are free to PM or e-mail each other with updates/questions/addresses, etc.

7. How do I ship these?
    The easiest way is to fold them 3 ways (top down and bottom up) so they fit nicely in a smaller envelope.

8. Can I use Mixed Media?
    YES! COOL! PLEASE! LOL. If you are a painter, paint. A scrapper, scrap. A zentangler, zentangle. You get the idea. Make it all your own!

9. Is there a TLP requirement?
    These Letters will include all kinds of goodies, as mentioned above. However, TLP product must make up at least 75% of any digital products used.

Also, we really want to see these! So, please snap a photo of your Lilypad Letter before you send it if possible and once your partner receives it, please upload the image (with credits) to The Lilypad gallery. Just be sure to wait to post it until you know your partner received your letter, so you don't spoil their surprise!

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Yay! I am SO EXCITED for this!

Edited- I kept thinking about it and want to do any theme.

Thanks for putting this together!

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    londoncuppa and jenn mccabe like this.
  3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

Thanks so much for setting this up, Jenn! Sign me up. I’d like ANY THEME, please. This is going to be so much fun. Woohoo!

UPDATE: I’ll mail mine anywhere in the world. I don’t have to have a USA pal.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Angela Toucan and jenn mccabe like this.
  4. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

This sounds amazing and as a strictly digi scrapper with no actual paper scrapping or hybrid scrapping experience a bit scary all at the same time. But I'm up for the challenge, put me in for Any Theme.

Please note I'm in Canada and would like to be matched up with a fellow Canadian if possible, but not necessary (I've sent mail to the states before).

5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@jenn mccabe Would these have to be hybrid cards or could they be 100% digital, cut out and put in a protector?

jenn mccabe likes this.
  6. Becca Bonneville

Becca Bonneville Oh my God Becky

I want to play! Please match me up where you need me.

7. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Oooh I want to do this too, so very much! :beat Since I will be moving in June it's probably best that I forgo this coming month, now that I think about it but please keep me in mind for July.

I hope everyone has fun connecting in this way!

8. jenn mccabe

Hey Rikki - I think you could make them digi and just print - but then include a trinket or two in the pockets along with your letter? The letter could be digi too! :)

londoncuppa likes this.
  9. jenn mccabe

I am going to sign up for Summer time & Travel theme! :)

10. Caps

Caps Member

Sounds fun. I would like the summer theme.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  11. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I don't know if I'm understanding all the rules, but I am intrigued. I recently purchased a (cheap) printer and have wanted to go hybrid. This just might be the impetus to get me started! And, it will be absolutely fascinating to meet another digital scrapper through snail mail :-)

Any topic is fine with me...but I do prefer Girl Power!

12. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

This was so fun when we did it a while back! I still LOVE my Lilypad Letters and ATC notebook! I'm glad to see it making a come-back!

13. jenn mccabe

Yay Lisa! Please ask if you have any questions.

It's kind of like sending a pretty scrapbook package to a friend. You scrap mini pocket sized pages (or cards to fit in the pockets). You write a little note/letter. Add some fun little bits to make the package special. And like @scarletsierra said - it's just an awesome way to connect with others in this community. I did just two of them the last time we organized these swaps and I can tell you it was amazing to receive these pieces of art from TLP friends and just as rewarding to put them together!

Here's my Pinterest board in case you want to check it out. You can truly do this in any style of scraping that appeals to you: mixed media, clean and simple, vintage, clustered and layered.

14. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

@jenn mccabe I just followed your Pinterest board! My word, such inspiration :dance

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ohhhh I want to play!! I'd love to do any theme!

jenn mccabe likes this.
  16. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yes please, Cant wait, Any theme .

jenn mccabe likes this.
  17. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

I'll play! Ideally summer and travel theme.

And I'm happy to be partnered up with anyone but live in England.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  18. jenn mccabe

I'm so excited that so many of you are interested in doing this! :cheer

19. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Count me in! I might even have a go at hybrid (but am glad that I don't HAVE to if it turns out I am a failure)

I'll go for Summer & Travel.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Just went to Walmart and found the protectors so will have a go. I'll probably go with summer for the theme.

jenn mccabe likes this.