Lightroom: From Workflow to WOW, Session 1 Video, July 7, 2016

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by gonewiththewind, Jul 8, 2016.

1. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

SO I am still on holidays and thought I would take the time to follow your courses. I have started with Lightroom a while back, but since time got spare and you need time to learn a new program, I returned to Picasa. Especially since I thought there was no facial recognition in LR.
    You answered me there was in another thread here and I see it in your tutorial. The things is I don't have that option in my library. Could it be the version I am using? I have Lightroom 5.

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Sarah, facial recognition came in with Lightroom 6. Sorry you don't have it!

I still think LR beats out Picasa for all other features and benefits, though!

3. crlin

crlin Well-Known Member

Just watched the first class and it answered some the questions I have had! Just need to get my photos organized so I can begin - thanks Cheryl!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

You're welcome!

5. PLM

Oh, that's a bummer. But i'll follow the rest of the video and the others, as I restarted working in it, I remember how great it was. I'm sure Picasa will be something I need to leave, these last days, it has been closing and losing data wuthout any reason :(
    Do you think I can get an upgrade to f.e. LR6 or do I have to buy the whole new program? I am not such an expert in these things...

6. gonewiththewind

@PLM Sarah ~ I don't know if they still have offers to upgrade, but you can check within the program, I think, by going under the Help tab? You can still purchase LR6 separately I know, but not sure about the upgrading option.

I'm enjoying Adobe Creative Cloud Photography Plan. I get both Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC for $10 per month.

KellyM likes this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Sarah, Picasa has been retired by Google.

PLM likes this.
  8. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Hi Cheryl,

I am jumping in REALLY late to the game, but none the less I am here finally. Firstly, thank you for creating this class.:fairydance I love Lightroom and have used it for years. There is always more to learn, especially when it comes to Adobe products. I have watched the first video and cannot wait to catch up on the others. There were lots of good tips just in the 1st class!

I am curious to know why you upload your phone pictures to dropbox? Does that allow you to better control what you keep on phone and what you important to LR? One of my continual problems is I load my iPhone directly to LR and then if I delete pictures in LR(when I cleaning up or managing my LR library), LR will try to upload those deleted pictures again when try to import new pictures from my phone. This is happening because LR thinks they are "new" pictures. Dropbox might be a good work around for this.Is this why you use it? How much storage do you have on Dropbox? Do you delete the picture folders on dropbox after importing them to LR? I have lots of questions - and so appreciate your class!

Thank you!
    Kelly

9. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

@KellyM I'm obviously not Cheryl (and she may have a totally different reason for using Dropbox), but I have my phone photos uploaded to Dropbox because you can set up Lightroom automatically import them from there!

Here are a couple of articles from Simple Scrapper that explain the process:

http://www.simplescrapper.com/2013/09/automating-camera-phone-uploads/

http://www.simplescrapper.com/2014/01/how-to-automatically-import-phone-photos-to-lightroom/

Since setting this up, I haven't had to hook my phone directly up to Lightroom at all, and it all happens in the background, so I don't even have to think about it! You will also love this- Dropbox will keep track of the photos that have been uploaded from your phone and only upload them once. So, if you import into Lightroom and then delete them? You won't see them again using this method! It's awesome!

10. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

@scrappyjedi - Thanks for the great info! I am so excited about the prospect of only importing my pictures once! My process right now is insane! I upload duplicates ALL THE TIME and then sort through them and delete them individually or in small groups! Can you say TIME CONSUMING! Ugh! You are a lifesaver! :happydance2:beat:heartlub:beat

scrappyjedi likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@KellyM I'm not Cheryl either. But I upload from Dropbox because the process is automated for me. My photos are auto uploaded ( I have enough phone data that I let Dropbox do it on data, not just wifi) to a folder on my computer. If my phone gets lost, or thrown in a toilet by a toddler (true story for my mom), the chances of my photos already being on my computer are 99%. I don't have Lightroom watch the folder, because it's mine, my son's Kindle photos, and my husband's photos as well as screenshots that we take. Some of those have no reason to be in Lightroom, or archived, so I prefer to manually add them, and delete as I go.

And like Melissa said, I really love that I don't think about it at all. I don't connect my phone to Lightroom or my computer, it just happens like magic.

12. gonewiththewind

@KellyM

First of all, you're welcome! I'm glad they are helping you.

Actually, when I use Lightroom mobile, they get synced into a different folder in Lightroom, that I manually move the photos out of . . . but other than that, all my phone photos are uploaded to DropBox.

I actually tend to forget to tag and organize photos if I let Lightroom watch the DropBox folder and upload automatically, so for me, it's best for me to manually move them into the folders I want them in on my drive, and then add them to Lightroom myself. This also allows me to cull out duplicate and horrible phone photos that I don't want to keep at all.

I hope this answers your question . . . if it doesn't, just post again and I'll do what I can to help you. There will be one final Q&A session next week . . . so if I've missed showing/sharing something, we can go over that then. If you can't be there that night, just post your question here and I'll address it in the video, too!

Happy Lightrooming!

13. PLM

I knew, that's why I was starting with the LR Class ;-)

@gonewiththewind How long are the LR videos viewable here? I had some bom exploding at work and never got to finishing the first video. And I'd like to take it up again. Will I have time to go through every session?

14. PLM

I'll have my father look into that, he is the familytechy!

15. PLM

Okay, so I finally proceeded the video and I have 1 question that didn't get discussed.
    I'm asking it, sorry if it comes by on one the others session, but I'm scared I would forget to ask otherwise.
    It's about the x and marking some photos as rejected. You mention you then can delete all the rejected ones in a single action. But how do you do that? If the answer comes through in another session, just let me know.

16. gonewiththewind

@gonewiththewind How long are the LR videos viewable here? I had some bom exploding at work and never got to finishing the first video. And I'd like to take it up again. Will I have time to go through every session?[/QUOTE]

They will be available indefinitely! Take your time!

I believe it's discussed a couple of times and I actually show how to do it, but it's simple enough for me to share with you here.

You can choose to right click on the small flag at the upper left of the thumbnail of your photo and choose to flag or reject your photo OR you can choose the keyboard shortcut X to mark the photo(s) as rejected. You can select multiple photos and mark them as rejected.

Once they are marked, go to PHOTO > DELETE REJECTED PHOTOS (or the keyboard shortcut CTRL+BACKSPACE).

If you don't want to completely delete the photos from your drive, but just want to remove them from the catalog, go to PHOTO > REMOVE PHOTOS FROM CATALOG (or the keyboard shortcut ALT+BACKSPACE).

17. PLM

Super dooper, thank you, you are so friendly to answer each and every question!

18. gonewiththewind

No problem! Let me know if you have any more questions. If I know the answer, I'm more than happy to share!

PLM likes this.
  19. Blossom

Blossom New Member

@gonewiththewind Hi I am very new to scrapbooking, lightroom, photoshop. Lets just say everything. Where do I start? what do I need...Thank you

20. gonewiththewind

Hi and welcome to The Lilypad!

You'll need to start with a photo editing program and I prefer Adobe products for that. I started out with Photoshop Elements and still use it to this day. It's a great starter program! The best price I've seen for it is on Amazon. You can scrap in PSE and you can edit photos as well.

Adobe offers a photography plan where you can get Photoshop Creative Cloud and Lightroom Creative Cloud. You pay per month and get all the benefits of both programs. They also have other plans as well, but I think the photography plan is a good place to start if you don't want to go with the stand alone Photoshop Elements. The programs are updated frequently. Essentially, you are getting access to hundreds of dollars worth of software, but at a price that most scrappers can afford. The photography plan usually runs around $10. Lightroom is not essential for the beginning scrapper, but it is one of my favorite tools for quickly editing with great results and for organizing photos as well.

After that, of course you'll need photos and digital supplies. The Lilypad has an amazing assortment of styles to fit everyone's personal tastes.

I hope this gives you some beginning information. Please let me know if you have additional questions, as I will be happy to help. There are some amazing scrappers here who can help as well, so jump right in and we'll help you get your memory books started!

Again, welcome!