Lifebooks for Adopted Children

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Jenna, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Jenna

Jenna Jenna

As an adoptive mom of three (almost 4) and a former foster parent to many more children, I know the importance of a Lifebook. Problem is... I am having trouble actually MAKING the Lifebooks for my kids. Anyone else create and feel good about their kids' Lifebooks?

If anyone is interested, a Lifebook isn't exactly a scrapbook... it's all the facts and truths that tell a child's story from birth (or birth family) to adoption. For kids in foster care, this also includes info about each foster placement, the families and homes they were in, etc. It fills in the questions in an age appropriate manner, with facts and documents as well as photos and stories.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has successfully tackled a Lifebook here? I am great with the scrapbooks... not so great with the Lifebooks. ;)

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've never heard of those but they sound like a wonderful thing to make. I imagine that kids that have been in foster care since a really young age have a lot of questions and so would any child that was adopted. I love that it's not such a secret to be adopted like it seemed to be when I was a kid. These lifebooks would be so great to have rather than have to go searching for that information themselves when they are old enough. I would guess that done with all the right information would be better than not done because it's not pretty enough or creative enough. Do they make forms that you fill in for such books? Or are you starting with a blank slate?

3. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I think there are a couple of Yahoo! groups that specifically deal with lifebooks and their creation, Jenna, so you might want to do a search there and see.

4. eryn

eryn gross no longer

i have nothing to add except that I think it is a wonderful idea and good luck Jenna!