Life Hacks | Pad Patter 9.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, Sep 30, 2019.

1. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Awesome! I'm going to try that for my glass shower doors!

I do the same for the bathroom trash bags. :)

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@Scrapping with Liz this weekend DH and I were talking about kids and chores. DD just turned 12 and he thinks she isn't doing enough around the house. (Funny enough, she disagrees lol.) So we're working on giving her and her brother a few more chores. Like you said, it means more work for me in the beginning, but it'll pay off once they take on more tasks!

LynnG and Scrapping with Liz like this.
  3. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

My best "cleaning" hack, and the one I am oh so proud of, is to simply not be a clean freak. It saves a lot of time lol! :P

4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

very interesting.. my hubby always likes us to code for that reason too, but I never thought to do it your way :) I agree re the re using of the dryer sheets.. they say the dryer sheets are also good for the shower doors

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I just take the time to squeegee my shower doors after every shower I take. I also wipe down the towel bars, faucet, walls around these items and tile seat in the shower.

Like others my cleaning hack is a cleaning lady. She comes every other month and does all the major dusting and mopping of floors and bathroom deep cleaning. I do quick dust mopping in between and always keep the counters in the kitchen and bathroom clean at all times. She has said that by my doing the squeegee on the doors, it isn't so bad for her.

And, I do clean up any messes made by the dog ASAP that are thankfully not happening as often!

Tree City likes this.
  6. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I've done this with pans too and it works like a charm!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Let's see if the old noggin will bring some more!

Your wish is my command! LOL

It's seriously magic! I used to just soak the pans and then had to scrub like mad to get off (baked beans is THE worst culprit).

Tree City likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Okay, here are a couple more.

When cleaning ceiling fans (my hubby does this and only a couple of times a year - boy-oh-boy is it filthy when it's cleaning time) you can use old pillowcases. Slide the pillowcase over the blade and use your hands to fit it closely to the blade and then pull along the blade. All the dust bunnies will fall into the pillowcase and not over your upturned face or body or floor!

Speaking of more dusting, use a Swiffer mop with a dry cloth to wipe down walls of dust. Believe me, there is dust! ANd if you don't want to buy the Swiffer cloths, use fluffy socks that you can find at the dollar store to put over the mop and then dust away.

I use disposable latex gloves to remove pet hair from furniture, clothing, or blankets. Just put on the gloves and wipe along the furniture and it pulls it out and gathers it all up. You can finish off with a good vaccuming, but this pulls the hair out of the fabric.

9. Tree City

I do mild food prep for the week. Sunday night I prep DS's school snacks and keep them in a bin in the pantry. I line up 5 containers* (one per day) and then I fill them with Goldfish, which I keep in a Sterlite cereal container so I just "dump" them into a container and pop on a lid. DS knows where their snacks are and I don't have to fumble for them in the morning.

It also saves time to make my lunch the night before work. I hate doing it lol, but it does make my morning run more smoothly, esp. since I have food allergies no one else in this house does, so I have to be careful what leftovers I take for lunch.

10. Eyeore

Eyeore Think it over, think it under

One of the perks of living in Africa. I have a wonderful cleaning lady (the correct term here is domestic worker) that comes in twice a week.

Sometimes though I would like a wife, you know to remember all the important stuff, to look after my emotions and go grocery shopping. Apparently I am the wife so it falls on me.

sthomas51004 and keepscrappin like this.
  11. Tree City

I once told DH "I wish I had a wife" and I swear, he looked at me like I'd sprouted a second pair of arms rofl! But I meant basically what you said, Stefanie: I want someone around who can take care of some of the burden that falls on me. (Substitute "laundry and picking up after my family" for "grocery shopping" lol.)

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Maybe a hack? We keep a small trash can (with a store bag) in the garage right were I park. Then every time I get out of the car, I gather up all the trash and in it goes. Passengers have to do their spots too. The recycle bins are in the garage, so it is easy to toss the empty cans and bottles in. I have found this reduces the clutter in the car to almost zero. Now if I could get motivated to vacuum the mats and clean the windows in there...

Another car tip: store a roll of paper towels within easy reach. Ours rides around under the console between the front seats of our van. Great for long trips.

13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Bicarbonate ( the baking kind) vinegar and lemon juice. ..3 best things to keep at hand. I burn pots too, and use bicarbonate to clean them. Not tried combined with vinegar though. I use mine with a little water ,in the burnt pan, add bicarbonate, heat for half a minute, leave for about ten, then 're heat add more water, and everything comes of. Lemon juice for cleaning tile grout, and vinegar instead of anti chalk cleaners for washing machine,and for coffee machines and kettles too.. I really wish for a maid...sigh

Tree City likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Bart wishes he had a cleaning lady frog for his bachelor lily pad - I wonder if dryer sheets work on pond scum ...
    [​IMG]

15. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

16. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

18. suetr

suetr Active Member

My cleaning hack is following the "Clean Mama" routine (www.cleanmama.com) ...one task for all rooms each day Monday-bathrooms (but not the floors) Tuesday-dusting, Wednesday-vacuum all floors, Thursday mop hard floors, Friday catch up day. I love it because I don't spend more than 20 min each day cleaning and the house never gets crazy. keeping certain table tops clear of clutter helps visually as well.

Tree City likes this.
  19. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

we used to do a lot of cleaning, not only that but every couple of years we would do a re decor project...these days? the way my body betrays me... I am having the same approach as your ...LOL if it wasn't my carer, I would , I reckon, qualify for an episode of Hoarders on TV!!!!!

I wont stop to read the thread now because we are in the last hours of DSD, but Sara...the contact info tip is genius, brilliant indeed!!!! I ll be back to read!!!

Karen likes this.