Life Hacks | Pad Patter 9.30

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Tree City, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I spent lots of time picking up/cleaning the house this weekend, and while cursing the dust on my TV lol, I kept wishing I knew more cleaning hacks. ["Life hacks" are ways to make life easier in some way. Cleaning hacks help make cleaning easier or take less time. Basically, they're shortcuts.]

Do you have any life hacks, cleaning or otherwise? Let's share and help each other out!

MrsPeel and umyesh like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Alarm off, brunch ON

I just ignore the dust... does that count? :giggle

LynnG, MrsPeel, Tronesia and 12 others like this.
  3. Tree City

I dust baseboards and doors with used dryer sheets. That way I'm extending the "life" of the sheet. It isn't exactly a shortcut, although I guess if the sheet has any chemicals left on it, then it could repel dust. I do it to help extend the life of a one-time product.

Oh, when I fill out forms for non-legal/non-school/unimportant stuff, I put my last name's first letter and then a dash followed by the name of the company. That way I know what companies sell my contact info because I get snail mail (or email) addressed to my pseudonym. For example, Walmart would be addressed to "Ms. Sara B-Wal." (BTW, Walmart hasn't sold my info, which I'm pleasantly surprised by.)

MrsPeel, keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  4. umyesh

umyesh Swooning for warm bread & butter

This is brilliant!

LynnG, MrsPeel and Tree City like this.
  5. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Oh I do like your style :-D

MrsPeel, Karen and Tree City like this.
  6. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

I am def snagging that awesome e-mail idea. And big wow on Wal-Mart not selling the info; I would have figured they have it sold before you can get to the end of the form.

Tree City likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I resemble this remark!

I saw a "hack" many years ago about drying stuff in the dryer. It said to put a dry, fluffy towel in with every load and it would help to dry things faster. Have no idea why it works but I've been doing it ever since. I have a hand towel that I just leave in the dryer and I have found that my loads dry faster. Not sure if it would work for large loads as my loads tend to be small. I use the auto dry energy preferred setting and if I check the dryer with the first buzzer, I will find my load almost dry. At the second buzzer, 75% of the time it is dry. At the 3rd buzzer, 95% of the time it is dry. So only 5% of the time does it actually take the full time. I also make sure to clean the lint trap after every single dryer load instead of letting it collect.

8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I just shared one with Olivia yesterday! She got a dresser that belonged to her great-grandmother and with her dad's assistance, repainted it and got it into her room yesterday. The drawers are huge and you have to use both drawer pulls to open the drawers, and they kept getting stuck. I had her grab a bar of "waxy" soap and run it along the outside of the drawers and the inside of the dresser rungs as well. All of a sudden, the drawers were working smoothly. She just looked at me in astonishment. LOL I can't even remember where I picked that one up.

Tronesia, keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  9. gonewiththewind

I use woolen dryer balls and it really does cut down on drying time!

10. gonewiththewind

I use dryer sheets for cleaning baking sheets or casserole dishes with seriously baked on gunk. Put a dryer sheet in the pan with warm water and a tiny bit of dishwashing soap. Let it sit for about an hour. Then pour out the water and rinse, using the dryer sheet to get anything that's left on the pan.

Tronesia, keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  11. gonewiththewind

I use a lint roller to take dust off lamp shades. I have some older lamps and this works wonderfully to get off the dust without damaging the fragile shades.

I use a rubber silicone oven mitt to clean my makeup brushes. I picked it up for $1 at the Dollar Tree. Very inexpensive compared with what you'd pay for a makeup brush cleaner pad!

keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

:lol:lol:lol I like your style, Karen.

Karen and Tree City like this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@gonewiththewind Do you have more???? you're a treasure trove of knowledge!

My dryer one if you still like to hang clothes out on a clothesline (google that word...LOL) is to put the items in the dryer for 10 minutes before you hang them.

But my best cleaning hack @Tree City is to have two women come to my house every two weeks. :giggle

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Feeling lazy with my coffee and book

My best hack is with baking soda and vinegar. Don't laugh at me but I burn the bottom of my stainless pots all...the....time....ugh! You'd think I'd learn to use a timer :)

So my hack is to put the burned pot into the sink, pore in a cup of vinegar and some hot water (about a cup or so, no need to measure exactly) and then pour in a cup of baking soda....voila....it fizzes up (which is why the pot needs to be in the sink, I learned this the hard way when I did it on the stovetop and make a huge bubbling over mess).

The fizz will settle down in a few seconds. Then grab a scouring pad, I buy a pack of brillo pad sheets at Superstore which are super cheap and then cut them up into squares to use) and pretty much all of the burned stuff will come off. I have always been able to get mine completely clean except for a bit of discoloration which is in the steel itself and won't come off. I used to have to throw the pots away before but now I've bee able to clean them and keep them.

15. Tree City

Loving all these tips!

@bcgal00 is it wrong that reading about your vinegar/baking soda stove top mishap made me giggle?

@HavaDrPepper I put a towel in the dryer, too! I started doing that when we were cloth diapering DD. I added a (clean!) dry diaper to cut the drying time. We're way past CDing, but I still keep a towel in there.

16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I just thought of something else.

There are all kinds of "recipes" for weed killer using vinegar and Dawn on the internet. I tried that a few years back and it didn't work (neither did Roundup on those weeds). Lately I was researching again (I have weeds growing through the cracks between pavers on my patio) because I don't want to use Roundup since the dog plays in that area. I found that straight up vinegar (higher acidity is better) works.

So I am now using vinegar on those weeds. One is gone. Another is dying and a couple others are still going strong. It does take a few applications but if it does work, it is cheaper than weed killer that doesn't always work. Less chemicals too.

17. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I like to use a used dryer sheet to clean the grime and hard water spots off of the glass shower doors. Just wet it and scrub a little and then rinse the glass. It comes off so easily. I wish I would have known this tip years ago.

I also use used grocery bags for the liners in the bathroom trash cans. I keep some rolled up in the bottom of each can so when we pull out the trash, there's another bag right there to put in it. No running around to find a bag to put in.

cfile and Tree City like this.
  18. djp332

djp332 Dude. They're on your head ...

For the last 6 years, until last month, I had a cleaning service. That was my hack. But now we moved to a much smaller home and I don't have the cleaners anymore. Now I remembered just how much I hate cleaning.

LynnG, keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  19. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz blessed

Love these tips! Definitely need to hear some more from Cheryl.

I don't really have any other than teach the kids to do most of it. LOL! But that does take work and time too.

LynnG, keepscrappin and Tree City like this.
  20. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

This is seriously interesting!! I've never heard of it! I don't even buy dryer sheets as I use wool balls in the dryer, but now I kind of want to get some to try this!

Tree City likes this.