Letting them fly.... literally and figuratively

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by tkradtke, Apr 7, 2019.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Okay... just need a safe place to vent.... lol!

My son, who is a freshman in college, snapchatted his sister, at 10pm his time last night, a photo of a small prop plane and the caption "going for a ride". Ummm... what?? She panicked, came up and told us, which caused us to panic too. We thought we were in the clear with most of the scary stuff since he's not a partier and hangs with a pretty low key crowd. Think again... his roommates for next year are all engineering majors... one being aeronautical engineering, who not only has his pilot's license, but also just got his instructor's license. So at 10pm last night, they thought it would be a great idea for the third roommate to have a flying lesson (I'm so glad I didn't know that part until this morning). They flew from Ann Arbor, MI to Toledo, OH and back. So they were up for about an hour... probably one of the longest hours of my life!!! I'm not a great flyer and hate small planes, so this still has me panicked even this morning! I was hoping my son would have hated it and wouldn't want to go with them again... but he said it was "awesome". So... here's to lots of deep breaths and calming thoughts over the next year... yikes!!!

2. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I think that would be pretty scary for me, too. I spent time last night and this morning tracking my son's flights from San Antonio to Charlotte to Roanoke and those are big commercial airlines. Those little planes make me really nervous. But I'm sure for him it was a fantastic adventure!

tkradtke likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Totally understand your panic. Those are the kinds of thing I want to hear about "after" and not during! And hmm, there is that other thread about things we have never done... but it in combo with this one, reminded me of some of the stupid things I did as a young person. Some my parents will never hear about....

5. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

Yikes...my daughter just went home to Japan. The flight from Detroit was 13 hours. I always worry, but even arriving in the connecting city, taking a train and then a taxi, she was a pro. sigh!

tkradtke likes this.
  6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

My daughter's very good friend was in air cadets in high school and got her pilots licence then. She took Diane up a few times with her and it definitely made us nervous but we've always encouraged our girls to try new things so it was pretty difficult to say no.
    Actually, motor cycles worry me a lot more and our son-in-law has one. :faint2

tkradtke likes this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Yes, letting go and letting them fly is so very tough.
    We should start a Mama support group?

tkradtke likes this.
  8. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

OMG Tracie, are you kidding me? I totally understand.... those engineers are problem makers (me and hubby are engineers and let me tell you we got in a lot of dumb things trying to be smart).

tkradtke and cfile like this.
  9. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I went up in a tiny prop plane last year (beach take off and landing to go whale watching) it was only a 20min flight - that was the max time for me - more that it was so noisy and made me feel motion sick than any fear. Took my youngest up as well and he hated it so no more small plane flying for him for a while...

When our oldest son went on a gap year, he started in Russia and we knew he had to leave the country by a certain date - he had told us that he was getting the train to Lithuania. This was the week a plane crashed in Russia killing a hockey team. I remember having to reassure his younger brother than Matt was fine - not flying anywhere... Turns out he had secured a very cheap flight - on a very dodgy airline - so glad I didn't know until he had safely landed! Just have to keep telling yourself that plane travel is in reality safer than a car...

tkradtke likes this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I understand completely Tracie, but the pipers are fine. My Uncle owned one for years and we went in them all the time. As long as they are with a licensed Pilot and are not doing crazy things then he should be fine. I know how upsetting it can be especially now a days. Hugs.

tkradtke likes this.
  11. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Man...that makes me anxious just reading about it.

tkradtke likes this.
  12. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

I pray more for my kids now that they are adults than when they were home with me! It's partially a control thing! It's also that they seem to need more prayers! :)

tkradtke likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm glad that you all survived it. Let's hope that it's too expensive for them to do that too much AND next time tell him not to snapchat about it until it's over so you guys won't have to stress out about it! Lol!

bestcee and tkradtke like this.
  14. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@tkradtke OH Tracie! That sound like our son a few years back! Always pushing the envelope with stuff. But this- your son- was actually safer, LOL! Like Karen said- maybe they won't be able to afford much of the flying. Prayer always helps!

tkradtke likes this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Tell them to swing by & pick me up! :giggle

tkradtke and Tree City like this.
  16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Yep, me too....would have been jumping out of my skin. When my hubs went skydiving this year I was a nervous wreck but kept it to myself so I didn't dampen his fun and luckily it all went without a problem. But, I am secretly hoping he never does it again.

tkradtke likes this.
  17. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Honestly, that's one of the hardest parts of parenting! Everyone talks about how hard it is to parent babies and toddlers, but the real fun begins when you're dealing with human beings that can do things way beyond the span of your control. I was a "good kid" ... and still managed to do things that I would totally cringe at if my kids were doing. I'm glad everyone is safe!

tkradtke likes this.
  18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Our oldest daughter graduates high school next year and she's talking about moving away....:( I don't know how people do this.

tkradtke likes this.
  19. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

We have a dear friend from university, also an engineering major (hmmmm...) who began flying when he was just a teenager. His dad started him with flying lessons at a small airport near Glenview (Illinois). He belonged to a flying club at the U of I and he took us up in a plane many times, although never at night. He was methodical, serious about flying and I always felt totally safe. Jeff ended up working for Honeywell up in MN until he recently retired. He has also had his instructor license for almost as long as I've known him. I've also been on small prop planes thru work, although Jeff's planes were always just four seaters.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  20. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Thanks so much for the responses and support everyone! And sorry I disappeared a bit... Sara (TreeCity) was here visiting and then my daughter got injured at her track meet last night and today has been filled with phone calls and evaluations.

EXACTLY! We asked Clara why she didn't just wait to tell us after he was safe and she said she was too stressed to deal with it alone... so she had to tell us. Why he told her in the first place, I don't know... sigh.

I agree... it really made my nervous BUT it was an incredible experience for him!

And.. I totally agree about motocyles... they really scare me!

Too funny! But isn't it the truth??? :giggle