Let's talk cameras

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by CarolinaScrapper, Feb 4, 2016.

1. CarolinaScrapper

CarolinaScrapper Well-Known Member

I am looking into getting a new camera when our tax refund comes.
    So what kind do you have, what's great about it, and what would you get if you were to upgrade?
    Right now I have a Nikon Coolpix P500 and thinking about getting this
    Nikon D3200 Red Camera & 18-55mm VR & 70-300mm G Zoom
    [​IMG]

2. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

The first thing I ask when people wonder what camera or lens they should buy is "what do you want to photograph? in which conditions will you use it? what is important to you (do you prefer something small and lightweight or do you prefer the full personalisation of a bigger DSLR, for example) and what are your technical skills?" In my opinion it's not worth spending a ton in a fancy camera if you're very happy to stay in auto and you'll never change your lens, for example. Finding a camera is not a "one size fits all" kinda game.

So, to answer your questions, I have a Nikon D5300, a 50mm 1.8 (it's on my camera 95% of the time) and the kit lens which was a 18-105mm F3.5-5.6. I had to buy the body in a rush because my old camera died unexpectedly after a long and productive life. I love that it has a video feature and is doing quite well in high ISO. That being said, I'd love to upgrade to a full frame and I hope to do it in 2016 (depending how my little side photo business goes!). The nifty fifty is awesome for me because it wasn't too pricey and it has a big aperture. It fits my main type of photography which is portrait. If I had to do it again, though, I'd probably pick a 35mm instead, with a crop sensor it would give me more "space" especially indoor!

weaselwatchr and lorryfach like this.
  3. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

Yes, what Chloe said! It all depends what you want out of your camera and what conditions you will most shooting in. If you are spending some money on a DSLR, put some time into learning the camera. If you prefer to stay in Auto Mode, there are lots of P&S cameras that can do what you need without spending alot on the DSLR.

Also, if you do decide to go with the DSLR, opt out of the lens pictured above. Once you start learning your camera and getting off Auto mode, those lens will not work for you. It's better to get a prime lens that can work in low light (which is ideal for indoor shooting and not using flash). A 50 1.8 is a great lens to start out with. However, on a crop camera, a 35 might be better.

I myself have a Canon 7d mark ii with a 70-200 f/2.8, 28 f/1.8 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens. I used to have a full frame (Canon 6d - which I do miss!). My passion is sports photography so I went back to a crop camera (7d m2) for the faster shutter speed and better focusing system. I was missing too many shots with the 6d.

chloe_digiscrap likes this.
  4. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I have a nikon d90. I rarely shoot manual except for my moon photos. I have a 18-200 lens which rarely comes off of it when I travel. If I felt more confident with my manual shooting, I would shoot it more often. Most of my travel photos are taken while we are on tours and I need to get that shot quickly. I feel for now auto works for me for that reason.

5. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I currently have a Nikon D7100, a 50mm 1.8, a 35mm 1.8, a 18-200mm and a 16-300mm. I much prefer the 35mm over the 50mm - it's a little more forgiving IMO. And I'm selling the 18-200 now that I have the 16-300mm - I love the additional zoom!

I started out with a Nikon D70, then went to a D90, and got the D7100 two years ago. It's hard for me to imagine needing more than the 7100, but you never know. Each upgrade has given me something new I didn't realize I wanted or needed.

6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

that is the million dollar question!!!
    I have had the big expensive camera...(freaked me out bad and I was scared to use it), had the smart phone...didn't turn on quick enough for me...maneuvering to get it on for those NOW moments (MY fav).
    so now I have a little P&S Canon, that I take EVERYwhere with me!! I mean everywhere! lolI want fast and quick photos!

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a Canon Rebel with the kit lens, and a longer zoom lens (I can't remember the zoom, and I'm too lazy to go double check. Sorry!). I'm looking to upgrade the body because I'm comfortable with the camera on manual, although I prefer shutter priority. And I want a body with more focus points than I currently have.

What kind of camera do you currently use? And what are you shooting? That might help narrow down what you want.

8. CarolinaScrapper

CarolinaScrapper Well-Known Member

As far as what kinda of pictures I want to take.. ALL KINDS, I want to go into photography, maybe start a little business to help hubby pay bills.
    We will be moving to Asheville,NC soon and it is a artistic type city so might have a good chance of a job there.
    I want to take a photography class at the college so I can use whatever camera I get the right way.
    There are smaller camera bundles but the one I posted above is a good deal under $600

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have the Nikon D3100 which in the (much) older version of the one you post in the original post. I have a 35mm 1.8, the kit lens and I bought a 18-250mm which is what stays on there most of the time. I mainly have been using my iPhone 6 plus for all my pictures except for sports for my two boys. Soccer and baseball my phone just cannot handle. Lol. But I have been very happy with my Nikon and it's served me well for years and years.

10. catschwartz

catschwartz Active Member

I agree with the question about what do you want to use it for. I had a very old point and shoot camera, but it had a bigger than most zoom lens. It was great when my kids were growing up. It broke and then I had to figure out what to get. First, I wanted a viewfinder. That limited my choices a whole lot!!!! I really wasn't up for learning all about fstops and such, so I was going to just get a point and shoot. My DH used to have a Nikon, so he started looking at DSLR's. I asked why would I want to get anything that fancy,and why would that be better. His answer was the lenses were so much better. It was a lot of money for a camera that I basically use as a point and shoot. I can turn off the flash which is helpful and do some close up of flowers and such, but I mostly use it for grand kid photos so it probably is an expensive point and shoot. I am really glad I got it though. There is a big difference in the photos!!! We watched for a good deal at COSTCO. If you have a membership to any of those types of stores they often will include some extra items for the same price, although a local camera store was also pretty competitive. I ended up getting a Nikon D5200 with 2 different lenses.(55-300 and18-55) i do use both lenses a fair amount. It does have a screen as well as the viewfinder, and I have to use the screen for video. I still prefer the viewfinder.
    Also someone else suggested going to a camera store and try holding some of the cameras before you buy one. Different weights, shapes and things like that can make a difference. I have hand issues, so some cameras were better for that reason.
    Good luck!

11. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

This. I could not agree with this more!!

For me, shooting in low light is key, so I need a high ISO that doesn't look grainy. I prefer to be able to set things with buttons rather than in menus, so I skipped the less expensive bodies and bought one on the pro grade side of the spectrum (the pro bodies have more buttons and rely less on menus- I HATE setting things on the camera in a menu!). The size of my camera doesn't bother me, so a bulky DSLR is not a big deal. I generally shoot in aperture priority, though I do change to manual for some very challenging situations like outdoor Christmas lights.

My current camera is a Nikon Df. A totally retro body with all kinds of awesome controls on it and a Nikon D4 sensor under the hood.

[​IMG]

I could not be more in love with it. The form factor and controls are not for everyone, but I grew up with my Dad's Minolta DSLR and my husband shot a Nikon FM-2 when we first met, so to me they are very familiar. This camera is much smaller and lighter than my previous camera- a Nikon D3- and I have to admit that I don't really miss toting that brick around!

Most of the time I keep a Nikkor 35mm f/2 lens on it. I love prime lenses because they are tack-sharp and generally have a smaller profile than a zoom lens. That being said, I do have a few zoom lenses and a few other primes at varying focal lengths, but 95% of the time this is the lens that I use.

The only possible drawback for me is that it doesn't do video, but my iPhone takes great videos, so I'm okay with that.

Except now Nikon has announced the D5, and I WANT IT!!! :blush

12. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

That's the camera (along with the same 35mm f/1.8 lens) that my husband chooses to shoot with most of the time now, and he still loves it. The D3100 is a GREAT camera!

13. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I have a Nikon D80 (DSLR) with a a couple of lenses. I used to use it for everything and took it everywhere, but after the last couple of vacations, I was tired of carrying around something so heavy. My daughter's scout convention was the last straw -- there was so much walking every day, carrying it around and I only took a few photos! For my son's mission trip, I took my Canon P&S, and I didn't like those photos at all.

Last summer I bought a mirrorless Sony A6000 with a couple of lenses. I'm thrilled with it and it has been the camera that I've been using all fall and winter as my take-along-even-though-I-don't-expect-to-be-taking-any-pictures camera. It has the flexibility of a DSLR (interchangeable lenses) but I don't feel worn out at the end of the day from the weight of carrying it with me. It also has a built-in wireless feature, so I can immediately download particular photos to my phone and send them to my mom's digital photo frame. So easy!

If I was going to upgrade, it would be to a DSLR with a full-frame sensor (D800? Or whatever is out now; I haven't been following.) I want to go back to the 50 mm prime that I had on my N80 (35 mm SLR); I don't like how it works on my D80 and the 35 mm I bought isn't the same. At the moment, it doesn't seem like I would use it much, so it's not high on my list.

My lenses (copy and paste from a photography site where my gear is listed in my profile. LOL):
    Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G (kit)
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D
    Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF

Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G DX IF-ED (kit)
    Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II

Tamron 70-300mm f4.0/5.6 LD
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD

If I upgraded to a full-frame sensor, I would not be able to use the DX (Nikon) or Di (Tamron) lenses on it. I mostly keep the 18-200 mm on it now, but it is not much heavier than the 17-50 mm that I was using before that.

As long as this post is so long, here are my Sony lenses:
    Sony 18-55mm F3.5-5.6
    Sony 55-210mm F4.5-6.3

bestcee likes this.
  14. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

If you are thinking to go into business, please definitely learn to shoot in manual mode. Learn, learn, learn about proper exposure, composition, etc. I would also try to join a photography forum such as ClickinMom. There are so many talent there and they know all about starting a business. Also, get business savvy! It's a business so invent in some learning on how to properly set up your business. Too many photographers get a camera and just start shooting - and they get so busy with cheap prices that they burn themselves out! Plus many do not invest any time in learning and honing their craft.

15. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I have a Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 70-200 f4 lens, and Canon 50 f1.4 lens. I can't imagine needing to upgrade for a very long time. I love my full frame camera because it shoots beautifully in low light. I shoot regularly at ISO 4000-6000 in my dimly lit house. I do agree about what others have said about learning your camera and what you want to shoot but I also think if you have the money and you want to buy yourself a nice camera then go for it. I remember buying my first DSLR, a Canon Rebel, almost 12 years ago. I had no idea how to use the thing, I just thought it looked cool, and I shot it in auto for most of my time having it but I have no regrets buying it because it's what opened my love for photography and got me learning, learning, learning. I saved and saved and bought my Mark II because I really wanted a full frame camera. I have no desire to do photography for a living and really all I use it for is around the house and my everyday life. Did I need a full frame camera? Nope, not at all. Did I want one really bad? You bet. Now, I just need to dust it off more often. Ever since I have had my iPhone my poor Mark II gets no use. Good luck on your search and purchase. It's so fun buying new gear.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    bestcee and scrappyjedi like this.
  16. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

Ditto!! I started to shoot manual a good 4 1/2 years before even considering starting a photo business, and I haven't done it yet because I have so much to learn about the business side. Make sure that you are perfectly comfy with both aspects (the photography and the business) before getting started, otherwise you will burn yourself out and lose your love for photography, and that's terrible. I'd also strongly suggest to start learning about IPS (in person sale), that's definitely a great way to do business and it would be awesome to start with that rather than shoot and share. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do a research, your mind will be blown. A whole new world of photo biz will open in front of your mesmerized eyes (or at least that's how it felt to me, without being dramatic!)! LOL

As far as buying a new camera, if you plan to take a photography class, I'd advise you to keep your current camera for now and learn it inside and out. Once you feel like you have outgrown it, THEN you can consider buying a new one. This has two advantages: it'll give you time to save more money to buy something nicer (invest in better lenses, for example, the ones you mentioned above are not great and you'd be better off with primes) and you'll know better what you need / want so you'll pick something that truly fits you. The Coolpix P500 has manual mode, aperture and speed priority, so you can already start to learn the technique with it (not to mention composition, which can be done with any camera, even a cell phone!).

17. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have the D7100, too and it is awesome. I started with the D50, then had a D80, and got my D7100 two years ago as well. I have the 50mm lens and a 70-300mm lens.
    I actually thought about going a little pricier with the camera but decided that it was more important to put the money in to good lenses rather than the body. You can have a fantastic camera, but if you don't have good lenses, you won't get quality photos. I shoot manual all the time now. It took lots of practice and trial and error, but I don't even think about putting my camera on auto anymore. I would agree with going to the store and holding them, as well.

chloe_digiscrap and mrs2a50 like this.
  18. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I wanted a camera that was easy to take with me. So size mattered hugely for me.
    I wanted preset functions. I wanted really great zoom. And the ability to film in 720p: 1280x720 (16:9) which are YouTube standards (or, well mine). I wanted a flip screen but that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I really preferred a Sony.

So I bought a Sony CyberShot WX500. I'm very happy with my sweet little camera!!

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.