Lesson on Everything About Page-design (LEAP) February 2021

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Feb 5, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

2. FarrahJobling

What is Flay lay photography?​

Simply defined, flay lay photography means a photograph where the subject/s are arranged on a flat surface and photographed from above. The surface and the lens are parallel to each other from a vertical distance apart, so no angles are visible.

The most important part of a flat lay is the composition. While a flat lay photo can include many different objects, the objects all need to be related in some way. You could photograph items that are essentially random and unrelated to one another but are all the same color or have some meaning just to you. The objects them selves do no need to be 2D, and you can stack things for more interesting depth. Achieving a good composition will take time and experimentation.

TIPS:
    Step 1: Find A Flat Surface

Flat lays can be captured on a dining or coffee table, a desk, couch cushion, your bed, or the floor. As long as the surface you’re shooting on is relatively flat, you’ll be starting off on the right foot. Flat lay photography works really well when there are many items laid against a blank background, free of distracting patterns or textures. If the surface you are working on is not neutral in color or texture, find a baking sheet, use the natural texture of your table, or find a neutral colored piece of foam core to place over your flat surface.

Step 2: Arrange Your Objects

For object placement, rather than placing all of your objects in the center of the shot with a border of negative space surrounding them, arrange your objects so that they overflow out of the frame and only parts of some objects are in the frame. This creates intrigue and encourages you to feel as though you are seeing a snippet of a larger scene, engaging the viewer’s imagination to think beyond the frame. Creates movement within the frame. The way to create movement in a flat lay is through object placement and lighting. Depending on your objects, you can arrange them in a straight line, grid, follow the rule of thirds, or arrange them on an S-curve. To create S-curve placement, arrange your main objects in the shape of an S and use smaller props to fill in the space along the S-curve.

Step 3: Lighting

Position your flat lay scene close to an open window or somewhere that receives a lot of natural light. Make sure to place yourself facing the light or stand to the side of the light. Light will allow objects to cast shadows on certain parts of your background, creating dimension so that it doesn’t appear too flat.
    Looking at your scene, determine what you want the focal point of the shot to be. Make sure that the focal object is what your eye is drawn to first when taking the photo, being mindful of where you place it and how the light hits it.

Step 4: Create Depth With Layers

Layering is a great way to add depth and movement to your frame if it’s looking a bit too flat. You can create depth by stacking different sized plates and placing your main subject on top, adding in a towel or a cloth below your plate for even more added depth and texture. Alternatively, you can find objects that naturally sit closer to the camera and other objects that are shorter when laid out on your surface. If you want to create depth and movement with objects that are similar in height, try using differing textures in the your shot beneath the main object. Adding items such as linen cloths or crinkled paper can give added intrigue as you create multiple layers.

Step 5: Get High

The key to a great flat lay is to capture the photo from an angle that is parallel to your flat surface. In order to do this, you must get directly above your subject. This may involve grabbing a step-stool or shooting your items on the ground to position your camera directly above your scene.

Here is an example:

[​IMG]

pull back
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    julianz, Ferdy, cfile and 6 others like this.
  3. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

I really love photography and I thank all the tips and teaching. Looking forward to these chats and hoping to take some good photos (I'm training with my cel, but I don't like my photos) I guess they need more light.

4. FarrahJobling

I updated the first post with some tips and an example

G.J. and umyesh like this.
  5. FarrahJobling

6. FarrahJobling

7. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

@FarrahJobling dear, today I learn something new, thank you so much for the examples and the teaching, now I understood better the concept. Going to grab my cel and take some pictures. Wishing you a very beautiful day my dear. :heartslub

FarrahJobling and Angela Toucan like this.
  8. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Well I missed the opening session but I thank you for the details and examples. Putting the 15th on my schedule.

G.J. and FarrahJobling like this.
  9. melidy

melidy Well-Known Member

Love your example shots! I missed the last chat but hoping to catch the next one!!

FarrahJobling likes this.
  10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

11. Donitab

Donitab If only the TV would yell back

Did you make or purchase the panels on which you photograph?

12. FarrahJobling

I purchased them, but you could totally make them too.