Leon Day - Noel Day |Pad Patter 6.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 25, 2020.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, I heard this on the radio today. It's National Leon Day. Leon is Noel spelled backward.
    Apparently, this is the day that crafters start working on Christmas projects.
    First off - what?!?!?! Christmas is way too far away!
    Second - Dude, I thought we start talking about those in November.....

But anyhow. Do you have plans to make crafts for Christmas? And have you started already?

And most importantly - Have you ever heard of Leon day for crafters?!?!

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Nope.
    Nope.
    Nope.

Does that answer your questions? :giggle

Cherylndesigns and bestcee like this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

The thing is, making gifts/holiday projects takes time, esp. for certain craftwork, like quilting or knitting/crochet. And if you're making more than one handmade item, then you need enough time to craft them all. Today is 6 months until Christmas. While not everyone celebrates Christmas, Leon Day is the day marking when serious crafters-who-make-gifts need to at least start planning for Christmas (or other winter holidays...although "leon=Noel" implies Christianity).

A VERY long time ago I worked in a fabric/craft store and my first year it really drove me batty to see holiday fabric/etc arrive in mid-June, but then I had people come back throughout the succeeding months to happily talk about their finished products. By mid-December, their Christmas* gifts were finished and they were happy to be done.
    (*I'm not trying to ignore other cultures and holidays; that time and in that place, no one who was non-Christian was talking about the holidays with me)

Having said all that: NO THANK YOU. I'm so happy my digitally crafted gifts take a lot less time to make and print. :giggle

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    bestcee likes this.
  4. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

No I've never heard of it, but I do know crafters have to start early ... I know I did when I gave handmade stuff at Christmas.

bestcee likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Nope
    Yes and no. :) I always make gifts. Not exclusively but I love doing it. Felted purses is what is on my list for DD & DIL (if she lets us celebrate this next one!) They are fun to make.
    Never heard of Leon day. I was thinking Lion at first, HA!
    Was at Hobby Lobby today and UGHHHHHHHH They were putting up Christmas stuff!!!! Thanksgiving was there too!! I imagine many stores are trying to recover some losses from past few months.

bestcee likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Ditto :giggle

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've never heard of this, but it's amusing! :lol2

Not only do crafters have to start early, but some people -- I'm sure it wasn't only my Mom -- buy gifts throughout the year and hide them away, saving them up for holidays. I thought it was a wise thing she did when I was teenager, though it was frustrating when she'd tell me, "Just wait until your birthday or Christmas" whenever I asked for something. My birthday is November 22 so I had a long wait the first half of the year! I haven't carried on the same habit with my kids, at least not to the extent my Mom did. If they ask for something in October or November I have been known to say, "Great idea for Xmas gift." In fact, now that they're all old teenagers, I can just give it to them right away and still call it a Xmas gift. :D

As for me and crafting, I have only given a couple of cross-stitch projects as gifts, never any other crafted items. I'm not much of a crafter. And those were so long ago, I don't remember when I started and finished.

bestcee likes this.
  8. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I haven't heard specifically of "Leon Day" before, but when I was growing up, my dad managed a small department store. They would have a big sale in their crafting section around this time of year specifically for the "get started on handmade Christmas gifts and decorations" thing. One year he had me work up one of their felt applique stocking kits to use in a display. I still have the stocking, although we don't actually put it up. It has faded a lot, and I don't think I would trust it to hold anything very heavy anymore. :giggle

Angela Toucan, cfile and bestcee like this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Nope
    Nope
    Nope

But I must say that I had a fleeting thought about getting some December Daily templates ready... and then I had a bowl of ice cream instead! :lmao

Cherylndesigns, bestcee and Tree City like this.
  10. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Never heard of Leon Day but just got the cutest Xmas stamps today!

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

My answers are the same!!

12. bestcee

That's cool! Were Christmas in July sales big at the time? I don't remember them much as a kid, so I wondered if it was more regional in the past.

13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Good call, Maureen. Ice cream is better and it's too early to start thinking about December Daily (unless somebody has a TLP event like Christmas in July). :crazy3:lol:lol:lol

@bestcee my answer to your question is no, no, no. :rofl

bestcee likes this.
  14. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

My memory is fuzzy. I think this would have been in the early 1980s. I want to say it was advertised as Christmas in July, but I'm not 100% sure. I wasn't aware of other sales and I remember thinking it was a little odd when my dad told me about it, but it was a relatively small town and pre-internet, so my awareness of what sale trends were was pretty limited. :giggle

bestcee and Karen like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I never heard of Leon before, but I did think about the fact that it's halfway to Christmas a few days ago. So weird to think about! I personally am not ready to even start thinking about Christmas in the middle of summer and I'm definitely not planning any longer term craft projects to give as gifts either.

bestcee likes this.
  16. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've not heard of Leon day, but I am a aware that craft supplies launch their Christmas ranges around now. People who craft to sell for Christmas do normally start their Christmas crafting now so they are ready for the Christmas Craft Fairs that start late October.

bestcee likes this.
  17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've not heard of Leon day, but I am a aware that craft supplies launch their Christmas ranges around now. People who craft to sell for Christmas do normally start their Christmas crafting now so they are ready for the Christmas Craft Fairs that start late October.

18. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I have to admit that in the past two or three weeks now I've been heard to say, "We are halfway to Christmas!!" LOL I don't think I've ever heard about Leon day. But that's kind of neat. In years past I often worked on Christmas gifts half the year or more so I've always been thankful for the early Christmas and Thanksgiving displays and products up for sale.

19. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Generally... I have no plans to make crafts for Christmas until suddenly I feel the urge in the fall to make time consuming gifts for EVERYone and then not actually finish any of them... sigh. That said, my son did ask for a crocheted blanket in his college colors. I will make a stab at getting that one done, but I need to finish my daughter's college colors blanket first. And nope, never heard of Leon day, but that name is pretty clever!

Planning for this coming up Christmas?? I still have last year's to finish... eek! I thought that's what the Christmas in July event was for :giggle

Cherylndesigns and bestcee like this.
  20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Never heard of it! LOL. I haven't even thought about Christmas AT ALL (don't we have enough to stress over right now?!?). I occasionally make little things but nothing that would take me this long.

Cherylndesigns likes this.