Lasik/ PRK advice

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by stampin_rachel, Oct 28, 2013.

1. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

Today I went in for a Lasik eye surgery consult. The coordinator believes that I would not be a good candidate and that PRK would be better option. (lasik = flap, PRK = dissolve lens). Have any of you had the PRK procedure? What are your thoughts? Would you do it again?

2. Dana

Dana Dana

hopefully you will get some good answers ... i had lasik about 4 years ago and love not having to wear glasses any more!

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I did my senior paper on PRK in high school... but that's a LONG time ago and back then it was with scapels. Ouch! I also had Lasik done. I went through a HUGE roller coaster ride when I got my consultation done. I had already put half the money away in my flex account and was going back for the official consultation (I had an initial appointment where they said it was okay). Anyway when I went back, they told me I couldn't have it done, offered no other options and then sent me on my way. I was so upset! Then my local eye doctor intervened and talked with the lasik place and resolved the problem thankfully. I have a lazy eye and the lasik place said that ruled me out, but after talking they discovered that it wasn't a severe case and wouldn't be a problem. Phew. Anyway, long story short, maybe talk to another lasik doctor just to get a 2nd opinion. Then I would decide from there. Hopefully someone else can give your a first hand experience too. Good luck! It's the most awesome thing ever to wake up and be able to see!

4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I had Lasik about 10 years ago and I still feel like it's one of the best things I've ever done. My dad wanted to have Lasik done and was told he wasn't a candidate. He opted not to go forward with the PRK. I am not sure why...but I can ask him!

5. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I cannot have Lasik either due to retina issues. I remember an optometrist mentioning to me that people with my vision/eye issues are why they have the PRK option. Just from what I have read about it, it seems like recovery is longer with PRK and it takes more time for your vision to become clear/accurate. I am pretty sure those were the things (along with a few others) made me stick with my glasses. Hopefully you will be able to get some answers and come to a decision that feels right for you. :)