Knives Out | Pad Patter 4.2

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Apr 2, 2023.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Nope, not the movie. Actual knives...I'm on the hunt for a good set of sharp kitchen knives. I've Googled and searched all the places, read reviews, but I'm still undecided. I've spent way too much time today searching :giggle so here I am to ask my Pad peeps...

Do you have a set of kitchen knives that you love??

umyesh likes this.
  2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

DH used to sell Cutco back in the day, so we have two sets. I'm not a knife expert of any kind, but I do really like them. They also have forever free sharpening (pay shipping and handling) and forever free replacement if they are damaged.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

No suggestions from me, I'm afraid: I'm also on the hunt for a good set of knives, and am a little bit overwhelmed by the choices. I'll be watching this thread for ideas!

The price points really confuse me. $60 for a set of 8 knives? I figure the quality cannot be all that good. $1200 for a set of 8 knives? I'm willing to believe that these are best knives ever known to man, woman, or child, but that's way beyond my budget. But in between those two extremes, I find all sorts of sets priced at between $150-$300, and I don't know how to assess the relative value...

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

We have some from our wedding from Target but they’re meh. Good luck!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

The forever free replacement and sharpening is a great benefit! I'll have to check them out!

KimJ likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

This is where I am...I feel like the cheaper ones will be cheap and not so sharp, but I don't think I can justify dropping over a grand on knives lol.

meganmecrazy likes this.
  7. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

I inherited my parents very nice Wusthof knife set... they had a very expensive set that they pieced together - Built to last - I think they started buying them in the late 70s and they have kept their edge with a bit of sharpening then and again - we use a sharpening steel. Great knives! If you want good knives my mother said buy the best that you can afford and they should last a lifetime.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I asked for knives for Christmas from hubby and he thought I was joking. I still haven’t figured out what knives we are getting. And now they have ceramic knives too. Who knows, I sure don’t.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

The moment I bought a knife sharpener I found out a good set of sharp knifes is amazing.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I don't have any expensive knives, but I agree with @berniek a simple knife sharpener is amazing. I use Rada knives mostly and then once every few months I run them about 10-20 times through this type of knife sharpener and it is amazing how much better they cut!

Fav knives:
    [​IMG]

My knife sharpener looks kinda like this, but both side of mine are the ceramic pieces. I bought it in the fishing department at Walmart years ago by the fish filet knives:
    [​IMG]

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

I'm thinking this may be the way that I need to go, just get a piece at a time.

12. IntenseMagic

I have a couple of Rada knives...the tomato slicer and I think one other. I love them! I'm thinking maybe I should invest in a good sharpener!!

Karen likes this.
  13. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

I have Global and I love them. I kinda searched a lot before I bought those too but the design got me in the end lol

[​IMG]

I have the small one like here, the bread knife, the fish knife and the chef's 21cm I think
    I wish I had more but with my basic cooking it would just be silly lol

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Me too! I need a good set.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

I do really like that design!! I'm a basic cook as well, and when DS heads to college later this year, I'll probably be doing even less than basic lol

ninigoesdigi likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm not sure what kind of knives I have. LOL. I've had them for a while. Just a random set I bought...not too expensive.

But I just recently got them sharpened at our local kitchen store after having them for a few years. Amazing!!! That was totally worth the money.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

I am of NO help. My dad was a butcher and owned a Meat Packing plant. All my knives are from there (despite it being out of business in 2011 due to fire lol). They're like industrial meat cutting knives.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We got a set of Henckels years ago. Still going strong. Keep them sharp and they will last!

At this point, I would research Costco sets. They have some Henckels there I believe! I haven't had an issue when buying things from there... and if you don't like it, you can return it.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I have this one that I actually bought in Switzerland in 2008. I've also got a little Wusthof pairing knife. These are the two I use all the time. I've got a bunch of other miscellaneous knives, but I really only use these 2 and a bread knife.

Attached Files:

IntenseMagic likes this.