Kits never used

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, May 12, 2020.

1. Lisa B

Lisa B What am I supposed to do with all this chalk?

Lol, I'm a much better shopper than I am a scrapper of said content. Also, teeing to figure out a way to track and organize for finding.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  2. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

I have a secret pinboard on Pinterest of my supplies that I organize into sections :) Somehow, seeing them like this makes it so much easier than any other method I have used! :yup

busywoman139 and keepscrappin like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I *gulp* sometimes delete something that I know I'll never use. Most of the time, I put those things on my EHD and keep them for "I might use them sometime."

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I bit the bullet... I started a spreadsheet of my digital kits. I thought @Tree City had shared a jpg of hers and after much searching I found it so I've modeled my spreadsheet a lot like hers. I won't put as much detail on it though. Not sure I need to track themes or colors.

So far I've got one designer listed. But in doing this I am also checking to see if the kits are current or retired. I've also found some previews that were not in the designer main folder so have tracked them down and that is now complete as well. I checked a second designer for current/retired and have previews for everything as well so now ready to list them on the spreadsheet. Just getting the kits for TLP listed will feel like an accomplishment.

Memaw2Wm and Tree City like this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh, I keep meaning to arrange my Pinterest DS board into sections but forgetting. Thanks for the reminder!

6. Tree City

Someone is getting organized and I was part of the reason?! The happiness ... the pride ... the scrapping/organizing camaraderie ...
    [​IMG]

As I read your post I kept thinking "Yes, and that's why some type of organization is really helpful" (whether it's a spreadsheet or Pinterest board, or Word file...whatever lol). You find yourself figuring out what works for you and getting MORE organized as you go, like finding the previews. And it can sometimes make you scrap because you see a kit and inspiration strikes! :) I like having the themes because if I need an artsy boy kit, I can look up the terms "AJ" and "boy" or "kid" and find something. Oh, I also use my family's names in the themes. I bought a tween kit so DD's and DS's names got added as "themes" for that lol! (DS is young but he'll be a tween eventually. :cry) Anyway, just what works for me.

Good luck figuring out what works best for you!

busywoman139 and HavaDrPepper like this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

@Tree City I can see where themes work for you. I figure from the name of the kit I can figure out the theme if there is one. I think the only theme I would possibly want to notate is "Disney" for those kits that are not Disney specific but could be used for Disney.

Question for you though. What do you do when you bought the kit at one store but it is now available at another. So many of my kits were bought at another store but now available here. My previews for quite a few show the other store name because the designer didn't retire the stuff when coming here.

Tree City likes this.
  8. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

Me too, @cookingmylife !!!!!

9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Yes! I'm going to start doing this. With kits used and templates.

I've used most of my kits. I have a few that I got with specific projects in mind....that I'll eventually do...at least I hope so.

Karen and BevG like this.
  10. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I didn't know you could arrange a pinterest board into sections... what rock have I been living under? I wonder how to do it! :backing

Karen and Tree City like this.
  11. Tree City

I don't worry too much about a kit's current location. I do, however, try to double-check the store before posting pages here. I like to include store links, esp. during MOC, because it helps the challenge hosts. Plus, it also is a good check for me: checking the store means it's for sure available and not retired.

For me (and keep in mind I don't organize my stash by store or designer...it's all one big mess of kits arranged alphabetically) I like knowing where I purchased the kit because what if I search the store for something and it doesn't show up as "already purchased" because the designer originally sold it at another store? That's what happened one time when I re-purchased a kit: I didn't check my spreadsheet because the store here said I hadn't bought it...well, that's because I'd purchased it at the designer's previous store. *facepalm* That's on me for not checking my EHD, which I don't leave plugged in all the time, or my spreadsheet, which is right in my DS folder. So IDK if that answers your question the way you wanted lol, but long story short: I don't change the store because it's where I bought it, not where it currently can be found. Plus, I save my DS email receipts, and if I needed to find one for some reason, it's easier to know the kit name and the store.

Another idea is to have a "current" column and you could put "TLP" for kits that are currently at TLP. That way the "Store" column can remain where you bought it but you can still have info about it's current availability.

12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Debbie,
    I put the kits I download in a folder called WIP (Work In Progress) as soon as I use the kit then I put it in the designer's folder I have for each of them.

13. Tree City

It's not hard ... but for some reason it IS hard to remember to do it lol. (Maybe because we just aren't used to Pinterest having that feature? IDK.) You click the "+" sign and instead of selecting "add pin," select "add section." Then when you add a new pin, you can select both the Board and, if you want, a Section. I just made a "Creative Team Products" section in my DS board. I think I'll make a "Templates" section, too. Oooh, I'm crossing my fingers the kids' schoolwork doesn't require me tomorrow so I can watch trashy reality tv and get some Pinterest sectioning done! One thing I do wish is that you could have the same pin in multiple Sections: my FDD templates are both Templates but also CT products. But I guess we can't have everything. :giggle

keepscrappin likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Actually, I do! :blush

I have a SCRAPBOOKING KITS folder with the following subfolders:

1 - KITS

2 - TO SCRAP

3 - TO KEYWORD

4 - RETIRED DESIGNERS

The kits I purchase hang out in the main SCRAPBOOKING KITS folder for a few weeks or longer so I can see them in front of me and remember to use them.

After a month goes by, they get popped into my TO SCRAP folder, so I know to search there first before working further into my stash.

After they are scrapped with, they are put in the TO KEYWORD folder so I know I need to do my Lightroom tagging. I'll move the kit to the designer's folder, and then do the tagging in Lightroom (because it's easier to move the kit into the final location before adding it to Lightroom and tagging).

So basically anything in my designer folders in KITS has been used at least once.

NOOOOO, I'm not up-to-date. I have 128 kits to be keyworded right now. YIKES

15. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

What does "to keyword" means? I have a TO DO, WIP and retired folders too, but the "to keyword" is really making me wonder what do you put in that one?

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I knew it Cheryl! @gonewiththewind Thank you! My only difference is that kits to be used for a specific date actually get a folder of their own.

Designer
    May 13
    May 15 etc
    and if I didn't get to use the product somehow, it does go a Not Used folder, still under Designer.

Once the kits are used, the product goes into my monthly folder and then at the end of the month they go into LR. Waiting now with March and April to be tagged. groan

@Dalis my TLP LR catalog probably has up to 1K worth of tags aka keywords. I did start this maybe 6-8 years ago when I had all the stores I bought from in one catalog. I had to finally make a break and now TLP is really my home and it has it's own rathe large catalog. Elements with the solid arrow means has LOTs of sub categories.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.52.34 AM.png

gonewiththewind likes this.
  17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

one less unused kit, one less unused alpha, plus 2 items purchased this month (the edge and one of Heather Joyce's fonts)
    [​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

You go Angela! my eldest was house captain (RED House!!) for his school in Malawi. His younger siblings were sometimes impressed. :lol

Angela Toucan likes this.
  19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Yes, I have many unused kits. They're all in my "To Be Used" folder on my EHD (currently on vacation :p at my sister's house to be looked at by her fiance).

I haven't organized my kits further than that in many years but now that my ol' dinosaur of a laptop has been replaced, I am hoping to get my EHD soon and then can use scrapper Biancka's DigiScrap Catalog program to tag & organize.

20. HavaDrPepper

I've seen this mentioned before but have no idea what it is. Care to tell more about it?