kitchen must haves | Pad Patter 15 Oct

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

They're THE best knives, Justine!

2. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I don't use any appliances when I cook aside from the stove and the microwave. When I buy bagels, we use the toaster. I used to use the crockpot when I was working outside of the home but now that I WFH, I guess I don't think about using it? I have several other small kitchen appliances but they just live happily in the cabinets. :giggle

I'm excited that by next year at this time, my boyfriend will be here all the time and he can use them and/or teach me how to use them.

bestcee likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I had an electric kettle when my boy was a baby for his formula, but we got rid of it at some point after that.
    We have a water dispenser with a hot water tap and of course cold water. That's what we use for hot cocoa and oatmeal. And anything else we need immediate hot water for. My mom still has an electric kettle. And I have an old fashioned one that can heat on the stove, but I store it since we don't use it often.

4. bestcee

Why not use the insta pot for cooking rice?

5. bestcee

I use the microwave for melting butter. If it broke, I probably wouldn't replace it right away. It came with the house.

My kitchen aid stand mixer is a must. I can't live without it! Making bread, shredding chicken/pork, plus we have the spiralizer attachment. My pressure cooker, food saver, food processor, and Vitamix are pretty tied as my next favorites/necessities.

6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yeah i don't use the microwave for that either and it's standard in any accomodation here too

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

like even overnight?? so even in Florida, butter doesn't turned to mush, a melted puddle sitting out of the fridge?? apart from a fruit bowl, none of the people i know in real life (that live in Aust) leave actual food on the kitchen bench when not actively cooking or prepping something

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yep, no.1 for us too- DS makes '2 minute noodles' for lunch most weekends straight in a bowl, no need to put any pots on the stove and then wash them too! gotta love the efficiency!

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL yep it was a replace it quickly item so we already have a new one - i hope you get a few more years at least from your crockpot!

10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

yeah i do too, our sandwich press is probably the most recent with the weird spring that keeps turning wet and cold and remote learning, lunches have been toasted sandwiches regularly - my rice cooker was bought with a view to convenience with making sushi regularly but DD doesn't like the texture of 'rice cooker rice' so it's really not essential to me these days!

klee73010 likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

wow! that is, umm, impressive or worrying!? is there some kind of underlying addiction here? i hope you have a huge amount of storage and bench space!

amien1 likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

wow - that is great longevity - i think mine last 3-4 years, the insert bowls end up cracking and the rubber feet under it always fall out and i have been propping up the last one we had for at least a year or 2 on cork heat-proof mats!

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

can i ask for more info on these? i have a salad spinner for washing and a herb chopper set - it's basically this but i don't love it
    [​IMG]

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i keep hearing good things about these, i'm going to have to search them out!

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

bwahaha! i love your description!

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Well, the interior of our house is usually 72 degrees, so no, it's not a melted puddle. LOL I have a butter dish, and then something else called a butter keeper that uses water to keep the butter spreadable yet fresh. The only fruit and vegetables I leave out of the fridge are bananas, onions, and potatoes.

17. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Lol I bit of both!? We have a smaller old one we got for our wedding 15 years ago & then was gifted one from a friend who didn't use it. Then a few years ago I got my nice bug one for my birthday! Thankfully we have a "mixer cupboard!"

18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I meant to mention that the knob is cracked. It's also looking aged. But it still functions perfectly well!

19. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

I can't miss my air fryer and my expresso machine ...

20. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@bellbird That's the chopper but you need a deep wooden bowl (maple, acacia, cherry, walnut are good ones for chopping on, I got acacia) so you have room to chop and scoop up from the sides to fold into the middle to keep a nice flow going and the higher sided, bigger bowl keeps anything from flying out. It took me about 2 min to finely chop half a bag of coleslaw, 1/2 container of greens, 1/2 cup shredded carrots and about 2 cups of kale. I also threw in some roughly chopped red pepper too. I have enough for salad with dinner for the next 3-4 days in the fridge now and just need to add a bit of chopped tomato and poppyseed dressing and yum, a tasty salad. Your bowl should be at least 4-5" high (mine is 6") and at least 10" wide (mine is 12").

Attached Files: