Kindle versus "real" book

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Arumrose, May 9, 2012.

1. Arumrose

Arumrose Filling up my passport!

I was just wondering something about all those new technologies... what do you think of Amazon kindle ?

I love books and after scrapbooking I think reading is one of my other best hobbies but I don't have a lot of place and books cost. Yes I can go the public library and read the book I want and them give them back but sometime they don't have exactly the book you want or someone already took it and so on...

So here comes the question about kindle : is it a good thing ? is it good for eyes ? is it the same pleisure ?

As it's nearly my birthday I'm looking for ideas but really want something I will use not another gadget !

2. judet

judet Active Member

I really like reading on my kindle. I've tried reading on my husband's iPad and it makes my eyes ache but not with the kindle, it's lovely :). I actually would really like all my books in kindle format. I feel like I should be able to take them back to the bookstore and ask for a swap!

I've got so many books that I've bought over the years (I only hoard books, nothing else!) and I was starting to feel guilty about buying more because of the space they take up, the kindle takes all of that away, it's fantastic to be able to buy and know I don't need to find shelf-space :)

3. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i don't like the iPad for sure - hurts my eyes. i loooove my kindle - i thought i'd have a hard time because i truly love the feel of a "real" book in my hands, but like jude said - the space they take up - it's so nice to free that up!

4. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I have a kindle fire. It does hurt my eyes on the bright setting, but when you slide the brightness slider all the way down, I can read comfortably on it for hours. I do think the regular kindle is still easier on the eyes though - just like a regular book as far as eye strain. I LOVE having my fire though, I love not having to find space for purchases, and I like that they are stored on amazon too, and you can just have a book delivered to your kindle whenever. Very convenient.

5. simply-j-studio

simply-j-studio Member

There's something about a real book that I just love... the feel and smell of the pages or something. :) However, my 10yo saved up his money and just bought a Kindle (the e-ink version), and I love it. Now I want one! I have the Kindle app on my phone and hubby's work iPad, but it's just not the same as reading on an e-ink screen. I like how small it is, too... easy to take places.

6. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I do love real books - but I tend to read a lot of 900+ pages and those are just not easy to lug around or comfortable to read in bed! LOL! :) Glad I have a Nook now!

7. eryn

eryn gross no longer

If I could digitise every single book I own I would! I love my Kindle! I just wish it was backlit for night! :giggle

8. Arumrose

Ok girls so I think that's a great idea and invention and I will add this to my wish list so.
    So many thanks for your great feedback

9. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I love love love my Nook tablet. It doesn't hurt my eyes at all and when I am in a dark room I just lower the brightness all the way down and it seems to do just the trick. I still have a weakness for real books and pick them up here or there. I have kinda started buying the kids lots of books to make up for me not buying them anymore haha!

10. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

THIS!! I was really resistant to getting an e-reader to begin with thinking that I would just not like it / prefer real books but now that I have one I can't imagine going back to real books again! I am a total convert :) I get annoyed when the book I want to read isn't available for a Kindle yet :giggle And, I am reading much more because the Kindle is just so convenient, lovely to hold and doesn't strain my eyes. I am also a sucker for the Daily Deals (£0.99 here) and probably have more reading material on my Kindle than I could read in a year!

11. nockosh

nockosh googy eggs for everyone!!!

aaah I love my kindle! :beat
    it's especially great for when you fall asleep whilst reading as it remembers what page you were up to, unlike a real book! :giggle

12. staciahall

staciahall Quidditch, anyone?

I was having lunch in a restaurant the other day by myself and was reading an actual book. The server made the comment that he sees very few people with real books anymore. I had the real book because a friend dropped it by for me to read. I read on my iPad and still love to read real books too.

So the Kindles and Nooks are easier to read than on the iPad?? Tell me more.

13. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i don't like the backlight on the iPad, honestly. that's just me, though. plus, on an iPad (or anything with that kind of power/access), i tend to get sidetracked too easily doing other mundane things vs reading.

14. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I have a Kindle (with keyboard) and an iPad. My dh has a Kindle and a Kindle Fire. He reads equally on his. I hardly ever read on my iPad. The backlight really bothers my eyes. I also like that my Kindle is much lighter and smaller than my iPad, which makes it way easier for me to read with. I won't get rid of my Kindle...so I usually travel with both. I love the new small Kindles. I might just have to get one someday!!

15. Arumrose

Will defintely add this on my wish list for my birthday,,, reading your comments I can't wait to give it a try too

16. Litabells

Litabells Sings off key but still sings.

I have a kindle and absolutely love it. It's so lightweight and easy to use and I love that it can store so many books - I'm never at a loss for something new to read! I also really love that it's not backlit like an iPad or iPhone. Because of that, you can read for hours without eye strain, and best of all can even take it outside in the sunlight and still easily see the screen. It's brilliant!

17. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Another e-convert here. :) I love my Kobo! Love love love it! I still have tons of paper books though, but from now on I'm trying to only buy digital.

18. eryn

eryn gross no longer

good point! I do love that it's not backlit for day, but I'd love to be able to switch a light on for reading at night while DH is sleeping.

19. Litabells

Litabells Sings off key but still sings.

I'm considerign buying a cover from Amazon with a built in light for night time. I did have a little clip on ilght fo rit but the darn thing stopped working after only one use

20. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

i've heard great things about the covers from amazon w/ the light.

i got a skin for my Kindle from DecalGirl and love it!