June Art Journal Challenge #2

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Dalis, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Hi everyone! I am so sorry I missed today's chat I heard it was a riot! I wouldn't expect any less from you all! I had so much fun distressing with Trista's tutorial for challenge #1 that I decided to keep on the distressing bandwagon. LOL!!!!!! Also, Pam posted a question about shadows and curling HERE. I know I am a very visual person, so I decided to try to show how "I do it", which is not necessarily what others posted in that awesome thread.

Into our challenge #2, this time I want you to distress and FOLD or CURL a corner. I have two videos (the second one is super short, I just forgot something on video #1) for you to follow and see what you can come up with.

GIMP TUTORIAL by Helene: https://the-lilypad.com/forums/show...he-tut-of-Dalis-into-GIMP?p=506223#post506223

[video=youtube;S4tXmgLNqoo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4tXmgLNqoo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;IDupWABrSN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDupWABrSN0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Same rules apply:
    • 50% of TLP's products
    • post in this thread and in the AJ gallery
    • follow the challenge :P

If you have any questions, post them here and I'll help you out.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

Dalis !!!! I love the 1st video !!! Now I know how to do all those neat tricks !!!

Thanks for sharing, girl !! You'e da BEST !!!! :heartslub :heartslub

3. Dalis

You are welcome Agnes!!!! It takes a bit of time and practice, but after a while you just find the way you like it and it gets easier.

4. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Thanks Dalis. I can't wait to try it.

5. Dalis

Let me know if you need any help, ok?

6. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

Absolutely. Thanks.

7. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

Dalis, I need some clarifications re the 1st video.

These are the steps from the video.
    1. Create a new layer
    2. Press Control (on WIN keyboard) + select the card layer in the thumbnail ==> is this correct?
    3. Go to "Edit" and select "Fill"
    4. Change the "Content" to "50% gray".

After I did #2, my layer had the marching ants. Is that supposed to be?

In your video, after #4, both your layer & thumbnail turned into a dark color. But mine didn't. My layer turned into an opaque-transparent red. My thumbnail showed nothing.

And becos of all the above, I am unable to do the dodge/burn on the layer. The error msg prompted "The channel is hidden".

I must hv done something wrong. :(

8. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

Thanks! This is fun, and can be mixed with the pocket page idea! Oh, I am getting some fun ideas!

9. AmyG

AmyG Member

Oh my! This looks like a fun challenge! I can't wait to try my hand at this. Thanks for the videos. I have them bookmarked. I think I'll try this while the youngest is at VBS tomorrow night.

10. Dalis

Yes, after #2 you get marching ants around the card.
    #4. Change the content to 50% gray, your blending should be MODE: NORMAL, OPACITY 100% and the preserve transparency should be UNCHECKED. Then your selection is going to be filled with a medium color gray.
    #5. Change your blend mode in your in your LAYERS palette to "OVERLAY" (for the gray layer), this will make the grey layer transparent.

I think that error is because you must have clicked the "eye" icon next to the thumbnail by accident making your "gray" selection hidden.

11. Dalis

So happy to see you are all excited about this.

12. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

Roger that, that AND that !!!! :thumbsups

... brb ...

13. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

This is my 1st successful attempt. I still need to work on the "bended" part. It looks very fake. :giggle But at least I got all the steps correct.

Oh, I also "bended" the bottom left corner. Can you see, Teacher Dalis?? Can'cha?? Can'cha??!!! *!!! jumping up & down in excitement !!!*

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. mimisgirl

OK, so I like to use a lot of magazine clippings in my mixed media journals, but I could never quite mimic it and be satisfied with the result. Thanks so much Dalis, this helped me look at my idea in a new way. I played a bit today and this is what I came up with. I am excited to keep playing and experimenting and see what else I can figure out.

[​IMG]

15. purlz76

purlz76 Ags

Subtle is the key. Cos it took me several tries & sleeping-over-it before I am satisfied with the look of the it. :thumbsups

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  16. christineirion

christineirion christineirion

I can't wait to try this!!

17. Dalis

OMG... yes, both of you... subtle is the key!!!!! OMG... that is awesome. If I make it too subtle for the video it doesn't show. LOL!!! YOU LADIES ROCK!

18. mimisgirl

This looks great Agnes! I like how you did the side too!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

20. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I like my page but I'm not sure I succeeded in the challenge...

I use Photoshop Elements. That said, I have to say I was challenged to achieve the same results you showed in your video. (which was fantastic, BTW)
    I could not separate my shadows with a right click so I used the method you used creating your test layer to create my shadow layer – then moved the layer below.
    Then - Using -Image/Transform/Skew from the menu allowed me to skew my shadow. Playing with the shadow and element layer gave a decent effect.
    I then applied the steps in your your video with the burn and dodge tools (which seem to be the same in PSE) and voila..

Hope this was OK and looks decent to everyone else…

I applied the technique on some elements and the card - I figured in real life not everything would be "crumpled"....

Dalis, thanks for a great tutorial and challenge. I learned a lot and had great fun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014