June 2023 Book Club - Poster Girl

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yippee! It's time for another batch of books to read together! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together.

The book for June is Poster Girl by Veronica Roth. Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

If you are allergic to pollen, smelling the roses may not be as sweet.

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm about 50 pages in to this one but my cover is so much worse, I keep putting the (paperback) face down

3. Karen

Oh my! Now I kinda want to see your cover. Lol. Made me chuckle that you put it face down.

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

it looks like a mass of gesso or glue got spilled all over it and is still wet and dripping - it makes me feel like i'm gonna get covered in glue myself touching it!
    [​IMG]
    i much prefer the horizontal torn look of the US version where her eyes are still intact!

Karen likes this.
  5. Karen

:giggle Yeah, I can see that... still you have me chuckling.

bellbird likes this.
  6. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I just started this one this morning. I’m intrigued.
    I don’t know why but so far it is kind of making me think of the tv show Colony

7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i got that vibe at the start too - but i liked that show so it wasn't a deal breaker

8. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

This past week was busy with helping mu daughter pack, move, and unpack, and buy a car. Where! But, I finished this morning. I really enjoyed this book. I’ll have to look at more from this author.

sure makes you think about all the data we freely share and who might be collecting and using it.

9. tiffany scraps

tiffany scraps still plays outside

I really tried but couldn't get into this one. I'll try another book soon. Going to the library this week :)

Karen likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm still only half way through - i keep falling asleep and dropping the book - i'm sure if i could have got an audio copy i'd be done now but alas... it's a bit slow to unravel to me, or maybe i'm just used to listening to things at like 1.5-2x speed but my sleepy eyes can't take all that in;
    anyhow, here's a poster frog
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  11. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

12. Karen

I started this one a few days ago and I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it so far...

13. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I just finished this one. I liked the premise of the story, but the execution felt really YA to me even though I think it was written for adults. Once I put together that it was by the same author as the Divergent series, that made a bit more sense. Sonya just seemed a LOT younger than 27. Maybe a result of living in the Aperture? I was frustrated by the fact that overthrowing one government only led to another garbage government. That's probably reality though! The technology part was pretty disturbing because I think it's probably quite accurate.

14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

oh i forgot to come back - i finished this a while back but it was not fab to me - it had a lot of slow or repetitive points that dragged for me that are understandable in context but ugh
    (everytime she got on the hi-train thing or went to visit someone else to get some shred of a clue or something, it felt a bit like Groundhog Day plus some Matrix thrown in there with the tech stuff - i know she was stuck in the Aperture for years and that was her process for leaving and maybe it was meant to feel monotonous to the reader too, if that was the goal, mission accomplished)
    - i think it would be better as a movie and seeing all the points and characters that tie together faster than slowly reading it over a few months like i did.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

@plumdumpling
    she was 27?? ok i clearly forgot that by the end, i figured she was around 24-25y.o. and kept picturing her as Tris from the Divergent movies /Shailene Woodley and kept waiting for her to jump off the hi-train and join the darkside!) -the twist about her father using whatever that pill was on the reported kids and then the head of the government being the anti-tech terrorist groups father or son or whatever were good but i was no longer invested in the characters or anything really by that point, i only kept reading to see what happened to that girl that Sonya was looking for and after that was revealed i didn't care much) -i agree the premise and future created were better than the execution & storytelling in the book

16. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

@bellbird I am always trying to figure out ages of characters especially when authors don't just say it. Sometimes I just wish they would spell it out. I thought she was 17 when she was put in the Aperture and then spent ten years inside. I think the government act that released kids back into the public from the Aperture had to be 16 or younger. I thought Sonya was just 1 year older than the deadline. I could be off (and it really doesn't matter) but she just did not seem like she was approaching 30. Maybe I don't hang out with enough 27 year olds!

bellbird likes this.
  17. Karen

I started this one in early June and then had to put it down because I needed to read a different book for my IRL book club. I basically had forgotten everything I started to read, so I just started over again. I liked this one, but it's wasn't anything spectacular to me and it was a little slow, especially at the beginning.