June 2022 - Week 3 Monthly Muse Challenge

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Jun 21, 2022.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Hello again, and welcome to Week 3 of this month's challenge. Hope you are all traveling well in whatever part of the world you may be! :)

This week I thought we would look at another form art journaling in the style, namely using pieces of paper (or fabric) to create a layered design. I think most of do this already in our digital work, layering elements and such on top of each other.

In my own mind I tend to 'classify' this type of art journaling as working in a Glue Book. But that is simply MY interpretation, to me a Glue Book contains mainly layers of paper or fabric that are glued into a book/journal. Mixed media is kept to a minimum so it's all about using pieces of paper, stickers, stick on transfers etc. Of course a lot of people do use mixed media in these types of journals but for this week I wanted to concentrate just layering pieces of paper into a design that appeals to us.

I have several art journals that I have 'designated' to a particular style, based mainly on the type of paper the art journals hold. For instance, I three mixed media journals in various sizes that have thickish pages and are suited to handle wet mixed media like paints, watercolors and inks etc. Then a couple of smaller ones that I only use 'some' mixed media in as the papers are thin, so in those I tend use acrylic paints (dry brush, no water), crayons, pens etc. Finally I have two journals that I play in that have very thin pages so I call these ones my 'glue books' and only use 'dry' glues like a glue stick to stick pieces of papers in. I love working in these ones when I am watching the tv at night, I can tear or cut up pieces of paper, images, etc and just glue them, very relaxing actually! :)

So for the artists that inspire me in this type art journaling, first and foremost is our own Rachel Jefferies. As well as loving her digital designs, I simply love her style of collage work and paper layering. Below you will find an inspiration board with just some of my fave pages from her Instagram site:

Rachel's collage layouts on Instagram

RACHEL-JEFFERIES-700.jpg

The boards below are of page spreads that I have found on Instagram by various artists, their names are on orange tags on the pieces themselves.
    IG-VARIOUS-ARTISTS-700.jpg
    IG-VARIOUS-ARTISTS-3-700.jpg
    IG-VARIOUS-ARTISTS-2-700.jpg

Challenge for this week: Take a look at these boards and find something that inspires you to create a collaged/layered layout yourself. Of course you can use any mixed media with it, but the prime words for this challenge are collage and layers. :)

Here is my page: Of course I used a LOT of products from Rachel, but the main notebook is from Nicole (NBK Design).

[​IMG]
    Credits are in the gallery.

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you.

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to Midnight EST July 3, 2022 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! Every layout you create is equal to one entry in the random draw. So if you create 1 layout you are entered once, if you create 4 layouts you are entered 4 times. :)

You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Looking forward to seeing what you creative peeps do this week!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  2. wombat146

@Rachel Jefferies I meant to tag you in my opening post but totally forgot to! So just doing it now.... you are mentioned in the challenge as being a fave collage artist of mine, just love your work! xx

3. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

Here is my page.

[​IMG]

Now to complete weeks one and two.

Rachel Jefferies and wombat146 like this.
  4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Life has been super crazy for me here. I hope it is okay for me to share my Pinterest board containing my gluebook pages as inspiration to the group. I loved working in my gluebook, a simple composition book, but it has been years since I created a page. I still have literally feet of paper and magazines for inspiration stacked in the corner of my studio, just waiting for me to have some time to get out the glue and scissors. My challenge to myself was to ONLY use paper and glue. No paint, no pens.

Looking back, I seem to use the produce ads quite a bit. And I've got ticket stubs and playbooks from plays and events incorporated into gluebook pages, my own souvenirs. I can even recognize pages revolving around places we visited using the brochures I found there.

https://www.pinterest.com/mcurtt/my-gluebook/

wombat146 likes this.
  5. wombat146

wow Marilyn, they look awesome!! I am heading off to bed now but will certainly take a longer look tomorrow!! :)

mcurtt likes this.
  6. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

I'm not sure if this is good or just plain crazy. Sort of lost control after a while. 61 layers ..... Mix of stuff from Rachel, how I feel about life right now.

[​IMG]

Karen and wombat146 like this.
  7. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Oh all of your exemplars are amazing!! What to choose!!!!!!

wombat146 likes this.
  8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Glue book! I love it! I have not come across that term before, I don't think. I've always called in collage. But Glue book is much more fun (funner??? hmm...more fun, funner??? IDK).

Karen and wombat146 like this.
  9. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I love this month's prompts! Thank you, Ona, for the great challenge!
    [​IMG]

AJK and Karen like this.
  10. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

11. Pachimac

I *may* have to do two pages - one hybrid and one digital because I don’t have enough hybrid pieces to count as 75% Lilypad product. I’m sure having some hybrid fun thanks to @ArmyGrl!!!!! Thank you so much! My printer only does black and white so the ephemera pack you sent me was perfect!!!!!!!!

nothing is glued down yet…still plYing

Attached Files:

wombat146 and ArmyGrl like this.
  12. wombat146

hahahaaa! Eva, this is neither good or plain crazy.......... it's AWESOME!!! Absolutely love everything you have done here!!!

tanteva likes this.
  13. wombat146

A lot of times it comes down to what you, yourself will call a certain thing.......... there are Glue Books, Junk Journals, Smash Books etc etc, basically it comes down to how you want to interpret them but I have seen people get very upset in some Facebook groups on the terminology......... I personally don't care, I call it what I like. :rofl To me collage covers a whole host of different styles including working in a book or on canvas or wood etc.

14. wombat146

Goodness ladies, your pages so far are just STUNNING!! such beautiful work!! :yowza

15. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

Oh my goodness, thank you for the shout out here and sharing my spreads, so honoured to be mentioned and to know I inspire you, thank you Ona!!
    [​IMG]
    Loving all of the pages in here so far!!

wombat146 likes this.
  16. Pachimac

I did it ya'll!!!!!
    [​IMG]

My first page in my art journal. I believe that I used enough TLP product to qualify, but if it doesn't, then I will do a digital page as well. Thanks to Lisa @ArmyGrl I had some Rachel Jefferies printed up and was able to use them. Also Lisa - do you notice one item?? ;) It's an homage to you for the package of fun you sent me!!

One thing I learned: Just because the little branches look AMAZING on my page doesn't mean I should use them on a journal that CLOSES!!! It's a bit bulky! LMAO! I guess they'll get broken over time.

Lesson Learned.

Credits:
    "Do it For You" Collab
    blue flower, beige flower, word art, butterfly journal card, ticket, Don't Look Back ticket, gray tickets,

leaves and second butterfly, from Rachel Jefferies but I can't find the kit right now. I'll edit this when I find them again!

ArmyGrl, Karen, wombat146 and 2 others like this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I had a lot of fun creating my page.

[​IMG]

18. Pachimac

Your pages are always fun!!! :)

19. wombat146

Go you!! Fabulous first page in your AJ journal and yes about not using anything bulky, LOL! Maybe you can 'press some foliage' and when it's dry replace the twigs with it? :) Super page though!

20. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

Fun challenge... I love collage, but don't do it often now. This was a fun exercise!
    AJ-Muse June Wk3-web.jpg

wombat146 likes this.