June 2022 - Week 1 Monthly Muse Challenge

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by wombat146, Jun 6, 2022.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Hi everyone and welcome to the June Monthly Muse Challenge. I will be hosting for the entire month and during this time I thought we might explore some different styles of art journaling through the eyes of some well known artists in those particular areas. I bet if you asked ten people what art journaling 'looked like' to them you would get ten different answers! :)

One of my most favorite mixed media/art journaling artists is Laly Mille and I love her magical and beautiful style of artistry. I especially love her collage work and how she approaches her art, it evokes such a beautiful connection to the natural world around us. Laly's art plays with the union of light and shadow; structure and intuition; ethereal, but with an earthy edge that really calls to me.

Laly describes herself: “As an artist and art instructor, I find joy and a sense of true purpose in not only bringing beauty into this world through the art that I make, but also in nurturing the creative longings of others.”

Laly uses several mixed media mediums in her work such as, acrylic and watercolor paints; acrylic inks; collage with magazine pictures and old book pages; alcohol inks; posca pens; and various pieces of fabrics such as lace, cheesecloth etc. Of course she doesn't use everything on all of her art journal pages (or canvases), they are just her favorite tools to use.

Here is a small sampling of Laly's work, put together into an inspiration board for you to use. Each picture is numbered, so when you create you layout, please tell here in this thread the picture number/s you used as inspiration for your layout, I would love to know. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To view more of her work you can use these links if you are interested:
    Laly’s Web site
    Laly’s Instagram
    Youtube video

While Laly is a hands on artist, I thought it would be a great challenge to use some of her artwork to inspire us to make our own digital versions. :)

This is my page:
    [​IMG]
    ALL credits (a lot of them!) are in the gallery.
    I used the following pictures for inspiration from the board above:
    #5 - white script text in background
    #6 - lots of white paint and gesso
    #7 - paint splatters

Challenge rules: Select a picture (or pictures) from the inspiration board above to use as inspiration to create your layout, please let me know in this thread what picture # you used.

So now it is over to you!! :)

You may create any style of layout (ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.) you wish, with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. This is for everyone, so have fun and see where the inspiration takes you.

Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to Midnight EST July 3, 2022 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".

We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! Every layout you create is equal to one entry in the random draw. So if you create 1 layout you are entered once, if you create 4 layouts you are entered 4 times. :)

You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Looking forward to seeing what you creative peeps do this week!!

ajm, Angela Toucan and CharlotteM like this.
  2. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

#11 is amazing

3. wombat146

Isn't it just! that's one of my faves as well Cath! :)

4. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Ooo, a big challenge for me! I don’t really know how to do the stuff that makes it hand drawn looking!!

5. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

I used number 4 for inspiration - the blended photo, the script over the page and the butterfly!!
    [​IMG]

Smwhite, ajm and wombat146 like this.
  6. wombat146

wow!! simply stunning Carmel, need to head out for a little while now but certainly will leave a lot of love on it in the gallery when I get back!!! awesome work!

7. wombat146

A lot of our designers have done the hard work for us in creating some super drawn lines and messy marks etc. I am sure you will find something Susie!! :)

8. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Hi Susie! Your layout Waterfalls kind of reminds me of the Laly Mille style with lots and lots of blending and texture:
    [​IMG].
    Grief Hurts does too with the lace and flowers:

[​IMG]

I am taking the Wanderlust course this year and Laly Mille is one of the instructors. She composed her page with lots of gesso, added textures like gauze, lace, and masking tape, and cut outs from magazines. She drew/painted over the magazine pictures to get that hand drawn look. If your scrapbooking program does not have brushes to draw with, I think you could go with a blending style with lots of added texture (like your Waterfalls layout :cloud9). It is an "inspiration" challenge so there is lots of wiggle room to make a layout your own - inspiration could also be color or theme :wooot. Good luck!

9. wombat146

@Pachimac Lisa has given you some pointers above but it really comes to what inspiration you want to draw from any of the pictures on the inspiration board, it doesn't have to be in Laly's style, just go with what inspires you Susie! :)

10. Pachimac

I just have to go through my stash again. Most of my art journaling was done with M3 kits, so I have to see what I have left that I can use. My mind is definitely churning!!

11. Pachimac

Aw, thank you for taking the time for this! I guess I'm looking too critically at my own pages! I see the last one as "undone" because the background is still so clean and easy to see. It's not using texture for depth like I see in the exemplars above. I just have to get over myself, that's all! LOL

I've broken that "taboo" and made pages without pictures, so that's a helpful step to these challenges. I always felt that scrapping was memory-making and had to have a picture, KWIM?

I have Photoshop, so I have all the tools I need - I just don't know HOW to use all the tools they have. I'm very bad at using brushes.

12. Pachimac

There's the challenge - and like I told Lisa last month - I enjoy the challenge!! I will get a page - it's germinating in me right now!

I just went to her website and grabbed a few that I really liked and I think I'm going to try to replicate them - almost a scrap lift so to speak. I think that will help me learn how to do the technique.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    wombat146 likes this.
  13. Pachimac

Oh my gosh - these ladies have ALMOST made me want to try it in real life - but I have NO art supplies at all so it would be a very expensive outlay to try it out. LOL

AJK likes this.
  14. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I was inspired by #10. I love her blending and journaling snippets. BTW recognize the butterfly?
    [​IMG]

ajm and wombat146 like this.
  15. Pachimac

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to show you guys my page!!! I'm SOOO happy with it! I am just playing with the last of the blending tasks!

16. Pachimac

Here is mine. I am absolutely THRILLED with how it came out, and I think it is one of my favorite art journals ever.

I was inspired by the light colors of 6 and 11, but I went to her website and found this page which inspired me to scrap lift/adapt it.

https://www.lalymille.com/anam-cara-sold/forever

And this one is mine:

[​IMG]

wombat146 and caapmun like this.
  17. wombat146

hahhaaaa!! Jan, yes! I do believe I recognise that butterfly!!! What a great page and yes, I love the word snippets that Laly uses as well!

18. wombat146

WELL THERE YOU GO SUSIE!!!! what a wonderful and artistic page and truly stunning!!!! yay!!! now go and do another one to cement the techniques you used for this one!! xxxx

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  19. ArmyGrl

I was drawn into the green in #7 and attempted to replicate it :-)

[​IMG]

AJK and wombat146 like this.
  20. ArmyGrl

@Pachimac Susie, I totally get what you are saying...."I've broken that "taboo" and made pages without pictures, so that's a helpful step to these challenges. I always felt that scrapping was memory-making and had to have a picture, KWIM?"

I do not consider most of what I do traditional "scrapbooking" as in taking pictures of people and documenting events. I consider myself more of an art journalist or collage artist that happens to use digital scrapbooking items in my art :giggle.

wombat146 and Smwhite like this.