June 2019 Book Club - The Nightingale

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, May 28, 2019.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We have a new batch of books to read together! Yippee!

Like I've been doing the last couple of times, I am posting the next few months (June -September) all at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for June 2019 is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here(highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

busywoman139 and Ferdy like this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

And we're off- discussions! ;) I read this one a long time ago- so trying to remember it- but I LOVED this one- I can't wait for the movie adaption! :D My only spoiler/question: I always wondered how Vivienne ended up in Oregon? -end

busywoman139 likes this.
  3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I actually didn't know that there was going to be a movie of this one! I'm trying to remember the details of this book too since I read it several years ago, but I do remember I loved it. I feel like it took me a minute to get into it though... I'm going to go read my review on Goodreads.... Darn! I didn't write anything, but gave it 5 stars. I think I will re-read this one. :)

busywoman139 and amien1 like this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I just placed a hold with the library.

Karen likes this.
  5. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Read this also and rated it 5 stars. Loved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karen likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

It takes a bit of time to get "into" the book, but I'm so glad I did! I just read this in March!

scrpprgirl and Karen like this.
  7. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I said this in another post but, this is likely my all time favorite #1 read! I listened to the audio and it was FANTASTIC. I remember thinking that I would definitely re-read it at some point - and when I did, I would buy a physical copy so I could have that reading experience in addition to the listening. My observations, from what I can recall: I loved how both sisters made an impact in their own distinct ways. I remember feeling wrecked several times with the close calls and the sacrifices the French were forced to make. I recall being so surprised that Vianne's son was the product of the violation of her by the soldier. I was a little out of sorts at the end when it jumped to the present but, it ended up making sense to me as I reflected on it. And lastly, @amien1, you are not the only one with that question! see this Goodreads thread: https://bit.ly/2WfWSkP (FYI: link contains spoilers but the url text wouldn't stay white :) )

jk703, Karen and amien1 like this.
  8. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

ooh, I have this book! I should bust it out and dust it off and take it on vacation with me!

Karen likes this.
  9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

What did you all think?!?! Love?

10. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Yeah, I wish they would have told us the answer to that question.

11. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I loved this book! Just finished it the other, which is surprising since I'm packing up my whole house, getting ready for our move to Florida. It seems like every other book I read is about WWII lately.
    >>>>I'm really glad that I didn't live in Europe during this war. I can't even imagine going through everything these families went through. How brave they must have been. And how sad that Viann's sister (dang, I already forgot her real name!) saved all those men only to die just as the war was ending. I'm so glad that Viann was reunited with Daniel/Ari after all those years, and that he never forgot her and the family. <<<<

Karen and busywoman139 like this.
  12. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

There is certainly no shortage of WWII books!

Karen and djp332 like this.
  13. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I LOVED LOVED LOVED this one!

Karen likes this.
  14. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

so this is what happens when i'm slow in putting one on hold - i can either read the large print of this some time around Sept 6th but her novels are pretty long as it is, i cant imagine the encyclopaedic size of a large print copy - or the ebook is available 31Oct :shrug - might check out some of the second hand book shops in the meantime